Home Forums Movies Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
Created
8 years ago
Last Reply
8 years ago
replies
views
users
Tye-Grr
Titanium
Irishmovielov..
  • Profile picture
    Renaton
    Topics:

What appeal would Lana Del Rey have with Oscar voters? There’s no babe factor among the music branch, and she isn’t a big name or taken seriously enough to be something that it woud speak to them. Pop stars and hispter acts don’t have much pull with them anymore. It’s usually a category reserved for animated film songs, jazz-influenced songs, folk/country/americana acts, and sometimes, older rock artists. And don’t think she has the respect and acclaim to be the exception. Lana is not Adele. I doubt she is the kind of artist the music branch would embrace.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

It’s not about the artist; it’s about the song and how it is incorporated into the film. The song is good, worthy of a nomination, the other factor is, how well it’s embedded into the film. The fact that the director co-wrote the song gives me hope that he also used it in an effective matter in the film. You’re basically assuming that the song is not going to be nominated because Lana Del Rey is the one singing it. And I’m simply not buying it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Renaton
    Topics:

I don’t see how the Baz Luhrmann conection matters. Clint Eastwood was snubbed in a weak year for his work in that “Grace Is Gone” film. That’s Oscar magnet Clint Eastwood we’re talking about. Not only usual voters have never really embraced Luhrmann, but he won’t be judged by filmmakers, but by the music branch. And well, they come from a music background, so I don’t think they’ll care at all about improving Lurhmann’s chances for an Oscar. I mean, they snubbed music and film legend Ennio Morricone with an original song for a two-time Oscar winner’s film. Why will they care about Lana more only because Lurhmann is involved?

I agree that if the context the song is inserted is too undeniable, it could be a contender, but I don’t see how simply being Lana Del Rey and Baz means it’s already competitive.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

I wouldn’t underestimate Lana, but I don’t really see anything getting nominated for Gatsby (Sides a few tech notices) It looks way to mainstream and campy for voters liking, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I am thrilled that talented musicians like Adele and Paul Epworth are able to win an Oscar here, but I see this category as supremely pointless. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Graeme O'Neil
    Topics:

Let’s not forget that Oscar voters have completely ignored almost every (even remotely) commercial track over the last decade. Adele was an anomoly.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Final2
    Topics:

Isn’t about the artist?? Um didn’t Adele just win? Know why cuz she’s Freaking Adele.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I think this year was the first year in the past.. like 4 years where a nice chuck of the expected nominees were nominated.  For the past few years, all the best song nominees came out of left field and were big WTF’s..

Anyway, I think the Lana song could definitely be a strong contender.  I also love Mariah Carey’s “Almost Home” from the Oz movie.  That would be a worthy nominee. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

I think this year was the first year in the past.. like 4 years where a nice chuck of the expected nominees were nominated.  For the past few years, all the best song nominees came out of left field and were big WTF’s..

Anyway, I think the Lana song could definitely be a strong contender.  I also love Mariah Carey’s “Almost Home” from the Oz movie.  That would be a worthy nominee. 

Mariah’s song is inelgible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

[quote=”LFTSPICE44″]I think this year was the first year in the past.. like 4 years where a nice chuck of the expected nominees were nominated.  For the past few years, all the best song nominees came out of left field and were big WTF’s..

Mariah’s song is inelgible. [/quote]
    Why?  

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

[quote=”TaraLauder21″][quote=”LFTSPICE44″]I think this year was the first year in the past.. like 4 years where a nice chuck of the expected nominees were nominated.  For the past few years, all the best song nominees came out of left field and were big WTF’s..

Mariah’s song is inelgible. [/quote]
    Why?  [/quote]
    Some rule about how the song must appear first in the end credits or in the actual film. “Almost Home” appears throughout the mid-credits.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

^^
    Aw, shoot, I forgot about that rule.. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Titanium
    Topics:

I think that the changes to the nomination process in this category defintley affected what got nominated this year, because you’re right, like everything the last few years were just random as hell! I think we could see the same next year, which would be good for Gatsby and Inside Llewyn Davis (both starring Carey Mulligan ironically)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Titanium
    Topics:

I was thinking exacly the same. The fact that we come from a very comercialize win may hurt her but I can see that song going there, at least GG nomination.

Thats a good point, she can at least get a GG nom, I mean they’ve gone for Burlesque + Taylor Swift recently! And I agree that it’s gonna be difficult for her since Skyfall was so commercial, but when it comes to modern artists, Lana Del Rey + Adele are on the opposite end of the spectrum, which might minimise the damage. Also she isn’t as big a name as Adele, so the out of touch academy voters probably wont know her, whilst I think just about everyone knows Adele! The biggest challenge for Lana I think would be for her to be nominated. If she gets nominated she could go all the way, but then she could be easily snubbed by the music branch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Titanium
    Topics:

I actually like the Florence song “Over the Love” from the great gatsby more…. Frozen is animated musical and Inside Llwyen Davis will have some great original music I think.

I agree Inside Llwyen Davis is probably going to be the ones to beat, especially since those critical darlings Mumford and Sons are behind it. But I’m not so sure about Frozen, the classic animated Disney musicals aren’t the slam-dunks they historically used to be in this category; the Pixar ones have faired better recently but the last Disney production to win was Tarzan, and that had Phil Collins! I mean Enchanted and Tangled, which would’ve slayed in this category a decade ago couldn’t win, and I think Frozen might fall into this trap.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Titanium
    Topics:

Besides doing the score, M83 has a song that plays over the beginning of the credits for ‘Oblivion’, aptly titled “Oblivion”, featuring vocals from Susanne Sundfor. It’s a long shot, but I believe it’s still a contender. No reason it should be deemed ineligible

Really like this song Tye-Grr, thanks for posting it. Agree that it’s a long shot though, would be brilliant to get in.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.