Home Forums Movies Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

Oscar for Best Original Song 2013 contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
Created
8 years ago
Last Reply
8 years ago
replies
views
users
Tye-Grr
Titanium
Irishmovielov..
  • Profile picture
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

[quote=”Tye-Grr”]Besides doing the score, M83 has a song that plays over the beginning of the credits for ‘Oblivion’, aptly titled “Oblivion”, featuring vocals from Susanne Sundfor. It’s a long shot, but I believe it’s still a contender. No reason it should be deemed ineligible

Really like this song Tye-Grr, thanks for posting it. Agree that it’s a long shot though, would be brilliant to get in.

[/quote]

I love it! It and the score might be the best things about the movie (though I quite liked the special effects and the cinematography).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Shrinking_Lover
    Topics:

To hell with Lana Del Rey. I saw Filly Brown a couple days ago, the song Reflections is definitely worthy of a nomination, especially with previous wins by Eminem and Three Six Mafia. Great Hip Hop song, as far as its implementation in the film it’s fantastic. I know it probably doens’t have a chance in hell to get it (considering it’s an indie movie targeted mostly at Hispanics that frankly not alot of people are gonna see) but just wanted to say the song was great.     

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    delerian
    Topics:

Ugg. If Lana del Rey wins an Oscar while Fiona Apple wasn’t even nominated last year, I think I will just bang my head against my monitor over and over and over again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

Del Rey’s song is also co-written by Luhrmann himself, so it could helps her nomination.

Incorrect.  Both the soundtrack liner notes and the film credits state multiple times that “Young and Beautiful” was written by Lana Del Rey (or her real name Elizabeth Grant) and track producer Rick Nowels; NO mention of Baz either place.  That said, though, it is Gatsby‘s most prominent original song by far; if the Music Branch is serious about honoring songs for their actual use in the film, Lana could very well get a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    seabel
    Topics:

Lana del Rey and Oscar seems something correct.

But ‘The Great Gatsby’ reviews are worrying me. Even the Best Costume Design sure nomination seems doubtful at this time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Lana del Rey and Oscar seems something correct.

But ‘The Great Gatsby’ reviews are worrying me. Even the Best Costume Design sure nomination seems doubtful at this time.

Regardless of the reviews (which aren’t terrible), I think ‘Gatsby’ has a great shot at costumes and production design. And clearly they’re pushing Lana Del Rey for original song. However, some reviews of the soundtrack somewhat trash the song. Not sure how much (or if at all) that might effect her chances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the film yet, but does anyone know if Florence’s song gets played  in the film? If so, for how long? I’d love to see Florence have a shot at a nomination, but it seems like they’re pushing Lana more.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the film yet, but does anyone know if Florence’s song gets played  in the film? If so, for how long? I’d love to see Florence have a shot at a nomination, but it seems like they’re pushing Lana more.

It does, but not much of it. It’s when Gatsby’s first huge party in the film happens, and Nick is watching people leaving after it winds down. A woman laying on the piano is miming the words. It’s fairly brief, unfortunately. Lana’s song “Young and Beautiful” plays several times, and during more crucial moments.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Topics:

I think Lana will get the nomination but the race will be between one of the original songs from Frozen versus the song from Inside Llewyn Davis written by T-Bone Burnett and Carey’s husband Marcus Mumford.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I think Lana will get the nomination but the race will be between one of the original songs from Frozen versus the song from Inside Llewyn Davis written by T-Bone Burnett and Carey’s husband Marcus Mumford.

Justin Timberlake also wrote a song (or songs) with T-Bone and Marcus Mumford. So there’s a very good chance that they’re collaboration gets in. And as this film is a musical of sorts, it’s bound to be featured in the film (which Timberlake also stars in).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

If “Young and Beautiful” isn’t nominated, there is no justice in the world.  I’m not a big Lana Del Rey fan, but man that song is KILLER.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

If “Young and Beautiful” isn’t nominated, there is no justice in the world.  I’m not a big Lana Del Rey fan, but man that song is KILLER.

I’m not a Lana Del Rey fan either, but I like the song, and I like how it’s used in the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Malick
    Topics:

^ Thanks a ton Tye for posting that link. I guess im a bad massive fan for not knowing M83 did a song for Oblivion lol. In a perfect world this song would be a oscar nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.