Home Forums Movies Oscar Predictions 2020 (Part 3)

Oscar Predictions 2020 (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
10 mins ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
ospencer
Matthew anzal..
Hammad Asif
  • LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

https://youtu.be/NfWGDAPzLQE First Trailer for Lucy in the Sky is here, starring Natalie Portman.

This looks absolutely fabulous! Finally a trailer that makes you curious without actually giving away most the plot.

Does Jon Hamm have quite a year ahead of him? I mean between this and The Report, he could shape up to be quite a contender. Absolutely loved him in Mad Man, glad to see he is successfully branching out to the big screen.

ReplyCopy URL
    OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

N-Port seems to deliver quite a performance. When is this out? Also, does anyone know if and when the Lee Miller movie with Kate Winslet is coming out? It was supposed to have been shot last year but I haven’t heard anything about it for a long time.

No release date (“coming soon”), but confirmed to be this year. The marketing team may reveal the date later today(?)…

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

https://youtu.be/NfWGDAPzLQE

First Trailer for Lucy in the Sky is here, starring Natalie Portman.

Oh, my Natalegend. Great performance after great performance, how much can I handle? I want her to win 2nd golden dildo this upcoming decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, Natalie looks great, and the movie seems phenomenal! Definitely in my top ten anticipated for the year now. My only worry is that it might end up being too “artsy” for major awards voters, but you can’t tell much from the trailer, so we’ll have to see when the movie comes out. Also, this is a perfect example of a trailer that gives you the general story idea but gives away almost no plot points, which I love. (Also, so thrilled to see Zazie Beetz getting her name on the trailer! Such an underrated actress, and I’m so happy she’s starting to get the kind of attention she deserves.)

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Heptapod.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Heptapod.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

N-Port seems to deliver quite a performance. When is this out? Also, does anyone know if and when the Lee Miller movie with Kate Winslet is coming out? It was supposed to have been shot last year but I haven’t heard anything about it for a long time.

Winslet’s shooting Ammonite right now, which I think is supposed to come out next year. The Lee Miller movie hasn’t shot yet. But she does have Blackbird which should be ready this year, maybe we’ll see that at fall festivals.

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

We’re in for another exciting year. Best Actress is STACKED.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

We’re in for another exciting year. Best Actress is STACKED.

Really? I feel like it’s less crowded than recent years!

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? I feel like it’s less crowded than recent years!

from the top of my head we have

Natalie, Cynthia, Lupita, Charlize, Saoirse, Akwafina, Amy, Alfre, Renee, Meryl (if lead) that all seem to be viable contenders!

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw the trailer for lucy in the sky. Portman and the movie looks amazing. alright im sold. Fun fact, Reese witherspoon is producing this movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

from the top of my head we have Natalie, Cynthia, Lupita, Charlize, Saoirse, Akwafina, Amy, Alfre, Renee, Meryl (if lead) that all seem to be viable contenders!

Yeah, sure. I just feel like a lot of those names have weaknesses. Lupita’s in a horror film that’s coming out this weekend. Awkwafina’s movie is a summer release and could be very small/not make a lot at the box office. Alfre could easily be a nonstarter, and Neon doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence even though they did well with I, Tonya which was a much easier sell. Renée’s film sounds like such a flop and I actually really like her. Meryl is apparently supporting. Amy could be another Blunt in The Girl on the Train, plus people keep saying the book is mediocre. Charlize’s movie could be verrrry divisive.

Nobody seems like real safe bet/slam dunk, except maybe Cynthia. But even that movie could be just okay given the director’s track record.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Actress updated

1. Cynthia Erivo, Harriet (if the movie is well received and she’s raved, she’s not leaving the #1 spot)
    2. Kristen Stewart, Against All Enemies (she’s due for an awards breakout, let’s hope that the film’s quality allows her to remain a contender)
    3. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women (seems like an obvious filler nod, but nobody is going to win an Oscar playing Jo March)
    4. Anne Hathaway, The Last Thing He Wanted (there’s been no news/buzz about this, but it’s a baity role and she’s due for a comeback to the Oscars)
    5. Natalie Portman, Lucy in the Sky (liked but didn’t love the trailer, still waiting for a confirmed fall release date)
    • Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced (film could be extremely divisive, will she be able to get in if the reviews are mixed)
    • Awkwafina, The Farewell (early summer release date is troubling for a small indie movie, she should have passion though)
    • Amy Adams, The Woman in the Window (worried about the quality of the film, could be another The Girl on the Train)
    • Lupita Nyong’o, Us (only have her in the top 10 because the category seems a little empty)
    • Keri Russell, Antlers (fox searchlight film, plus it’s only March so why not predict one of your faves)
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jays.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jays.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

My take on Best Actress after seeing the Lucy in the Sky trailer:

Frontrunners

Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    Amy Adams, The Woman in the Window
    Saoirse Ronan, Little Women

Next in line

Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced
    Meryl Streep, The Laundromat
    Lupita Nyong’o, Us
    Renee Zellweger, Judy
    Anne Hathaway, The Last Thing He Wanted
    Alfre Woodard, Clemency
    Julianne Moore, Gloria Bell
    Natalie Portman, Lucy in the Sky

Might be players

Awfkwafina, The Farewell
    Helen Mirren, The Good Liar
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Kristen Stewart, Against All Enemies
    Rosamund Pike, Radioactive
    Taraji B. Henson, The Best of Enemies

Could surprise

Elisabeth Moss, Shirley
    Scarlett Johansson, Untitled Noah Baumbach Project
    Naomi Watts, Luce
    Elisabeth Moss, Light of My Life
    Catherine Deneuve, The Truth
    Isabelle Huppert, Frankie
    Blake Lively, The Rhythm Section

Longer shots

Elisabeth Moss, Her Smell
    Elisabeth Moss, The Kitchen
    Michelle Williams, After the Wedding
    Scarlett Johansson, JoJo Rabbit
    Jessica Chastain, Eve
    Melissa McCarthy, Superintelligence
    Penelope Cruz, Dolor Y Gloria
    Taylor Swift, Cats
    Taylour Paige, Zola

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl is apparently supporting.

Are we sure? Where did we learn this? (Not questioning it at all, just curious 🙂 )

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, my Natalegend. Great performance after great performance, how much can I handle? I want her to win 2nd golden dildo this upcoming decade.

Natalie getting one every decade for the rest of her life. Loving that concept.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chelseafc
    Participant
    Topics:

Are we always going to predict Saoirse Ronan from now on? Didn’t people learn anything from Mary Queen of Scots. The thousandth remake of Little Women that nobody wanted to see in the first place and probably still dont want to watch. I predict the movie to completely flop.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 472 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.