Home Forums Movies Oscars 1994 Best Picture

Oscars 1994 Best Picture

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Hammad Asif
Potatohead
Thatcher
Oscars 1994 Best Picture
Pulp Fiction
Forest Gump
Shawshank Redemption
  • Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

As the 25 anniversary of these 3 golden movies happens.
    Let’s vote and discuss about which movie aged best and which was the best?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Pulp Fiction, always. I’m not mad at Forrest Gump winning since it kinda ticked all the boxes, but Pulp Fiction is easily in my top 5 GOAT

Don’t care about Shawshank. It’s just ok to me

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Of these three (and of the nominees), Pulp Fiction, but almost by default. Not particularly enamored with this one, and there were easily 15—20 other films I would have nominated before any of the five that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, the best film won. I’m sick of the Tarantino groupies. Pulp Fiction is just a nasty and disgusting mess. Loved Uma Thurman’s wig though.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cair
    Participant
    Topics:

The only one of the three that I’ve seen is Forrest Gump. But I also like the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Disrespectful to omit the other two nominees, though. “Quiz Show” is still watchable and well made movie (although I’d nominate “Bullets over Broadway” or “Three Colors: Red”) while “Four Weddings and a Funeral” is a classic. “Forrest Gump” was safer choice but “Pulp Fiction” certainly stood the test of time better and had more impact on cinema as a whole, no doubt about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Quiz Show, (out of the five Oscar nominees) which you neglected to put on your poll! Worst movie: Pulp Fiction. Truly awful! You also neglected to put Four Weddings and a Funeral on your poll. I agree with others that Bullets Over Broadway ought to have been nominated. I also loved Ed Wood, Wild Reeds, Queen Margot, and The Favorite Son

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Quiz Show, (out of the five Oscar nominees) which you neglected to put on your poll! Worst movie: Pulp Fiction. Truly awful! You also neglected to put Four Weddings and a Funeral on your poll. I agree with others that Bullets Over Broadway ought to have been nominated. I also loved Ed Wood, Wild Reeds, Queen Margot, and The Favorite Son

I slotted 3 movies and BP nominees of “94” that are actually remembered.Now you can say as your opinion that Forrest Gump or Shawshank Redemption were better than Pulp Fiction but Oh My God,you just said PF is awful.This is a revolutionary,cinema changing movie.A movie that is revered by 95% of the population of it’s viewers.Man o Man,I haven’t seen a person with this much bad taste in movies and performances as you.Either you want to be a man of “extremely unpopular opinions” or you are just basically person of very bad taste.I am Sorry.

ReplyCopy URL
    Potatohead
    Participant
    Topics:

I slotted 3 movies and BP nominees of “94” that are actually remembered.Now you can say as your opinion that Forrest Gump or Shawshank Redemption were better than Pulp Fiction but Oh My God,you just said PF is awful.This is a revolutionary,cinema changing movie.A movie that is revered by 95% of the population of it’s viewers.Man o Man,I haven’t seen a person with this much bad taste in movies and performances as you.Either you want to be a man of “extremely unpopular opinions” or you are just basically person of very bad taste.I am Sorry.

If you really think that putting “film school student” in your bio gives you the right to talk down to other people like that, I hope you fall off your pretentious high horse and roll into traffic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Potatohead
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Pulp Fiction, it’s a great thrill ride and a fantastic celebration of pop culture. Uma Thurman and John Travolta slay their dance scene and Samuel L Jackson owns the film with his performance. It’s dynamic, witty, and uses its nonlinear narrative to remarkable effectiveness.

But it’s also a film written by a white man that frequently uses racial slurs against black people, and it’s stuffed full of graphic violence. Some people don’t like those things. Plus, the nonlinear narrative just disguises the fact that there isn’t actually a lot of depth to the movie. Individually, the plots aren’t actually very good. I think that’s perfectly fine because of how well the nonlinear style makes it all click together so well, but that can’t be said of everyone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

If you really think that putting “film school student” in your bio gives you the right to talk down to other people like that, I hope you fall off your pretentious high horse and roll into traffic.

Well,I am a film school student and I am doing what I love and I don’t really fear about falling into traffic.I have noticed this guy,he usually have the most un popular opinions ever.I am sorry but there are 5-8 movies that shaped my movie making philosophy and Pulp Fiction is one of them.Forget about that he usually will bad mouth universally acclaimed performances and film,I mean not just say that he disliked it personally but he will say Yes,they are definitely bad.Then he will stan Rami Malek’s constipated Freddie Mercury and urge other people to do same and get shocked when they don’t.Having an opinion is 1 thing and it’s respectful but totally denying universally acclaimed phenomenons is just stupid.Have to Say.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Part of the reason I dislike Quentin Tarantino so much is that he IS influential – in ways that are harmful. I get that a certain amount of violence and drugs will make their way into movies but it all depends on the point of view of the movie. Is the violence and drug taking there for valid reasons or just because it is somehow “cool”? I don’t want film students emulating QT! I just saw 12 films in a local French film festival and loved 10 of the movies. I have seen tens of thousands of movies and have loved a majority of them. Just saw “Anatomy Of a Murder” – now that is a GREAT movie, worth emulating! I have no objection to crime and violence when it is not celebrated. My problems with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is that it is a revenge fantasy that puts into people’s heads that violence is the solution to violence, and drug taking is “cool”. It is not. It’s also under-written and has quite a few unnecessary scenes – a full hour could be cut and it would be better and of course the stupid ending ought to have been cut completely – truly one of the dumbest most irritating endings of any movie and most reviewers thought so too, even those who otherwise enjoyed the movie.

As for Rami Malek: you do realize that he won many awards and was acclaimed? Most sane people loved his performance.

I don’t mind my opinions being unpopular – they are my opinions. If popularity is all that is important then why discuss movies at all? I love foreign films more than American films; I love older classic movies better than newer ones. Others have the opposite opinion.

Finally, Quiz Show was a truly terrific entertaining extremely well made movie – and for me it was the best of the five nominated. There were many films not nominated that were better, of course, that is almost always the case.

I believe you ought to have included all five nominees in your poll, and I would have voted for Quiz Show. Then whichever film anyone wanted to vote for they could do so.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

As for Rami Malek: you do realize that he won many awards and was acclaimed? Most sane people loved his performance.

Darling, I have to laugh. Animatronic was laughable, cartoonish and Razzie-worthy. Additionally, those fake teeth were disgusting and annoying. Call me insane if you want, but he’s one of the worst Oscar winners (I have to laugh/die) of all time.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Potatohead
    Participant
    Topics:

Having an opinion is 1 thing and it’s respectful but totally denying universally acclaimed phenomenons is just stupid.Have to Say.

So, having an opinion is fine unless it doesn’t agree with the popular consensus, in which case it’s stupid. This is called “groupthinking” and it’s honestly pretty counterproductive for filmmaking because it offers zero room for discourse. For a film student, it’s pretty close-minded of you to automatically support whatever is “universally acclaimed” and judge others for coming up with opinions all on their own. Have to say.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

So, having an opinion is fine unless it doesn’t agree with the popular consensus, in which case it’s stupid. This is called “groupthinking” and it’s honestly pretty counterproductive for filmmaking because it offers zero room for discourse. For a film student, it’s pretty close-minded of you to automatically support whatever is “universally acclaimed” and judge others for coming up with opinions all on their own. Have to say.

I don’t like talking down people especially and criticizing them,I really hate it.I guess,I’ll just respect his opinions no matter how unpopular they are and he has every right of having them and stay quite.You are right.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.