Home Forums Movies Oscars 2012: Who Came In Second?

Oscars 2012: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
Joe Burns
Stegeo
Jeffrey Kare
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been a bit bored/depressed about Oscar season being over so I decided to make another one of these:

Best Picture: This category is difficult as Life Of Pi did win the most awards but I’d argue the technical awards were based on merit while Best Director was based on the Academy wanting to embrace Lee after Brokeback’s BP loss 7 years earlier in addition to his reputation as a master filmmaker. I think Silver Linings Playbook had a lot of love from the Academy that year and most likely came in second followed by Life Of Pi, Lincoln, Django Unchained,Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, and Beasts Of The Southern Wild.

Best Director: Despite soft support for Lincoln, I think Speilberg was second here due to admiration for Lincoln and the quality of his work. O’Russell could have been second however. I don’t see Haneke or Zeitlin getting that many votes.

Best Actor: Hugh Jackman due to star power but really Day-Lewis most likely won this in a landslide. Cooper was a distant third and then Phoenix and Washington in fourth and fifth place.

Best Supporting Actor: What a crazy category this year! Despite Tommy Lee Jones getting a lot of predictions I don’t see voters going for him as the performance really isn’t anything that special. I think De-Niro most likely came in second due to love for Silver Linings Playbook. Hoffman was fourth and Arkin was third.

Best Actress: Emanuelle Riva. If she had done better with the precursors by getting Globe/SAG nods she may have prevailed. Her being in the backseat due to Chastain vs Lawrence for the first half of the season put a dent in her chances. Wealth spreading also helped Lawrence a lot here as well as her star power.

Best Supporting Actress: Sally Field although you never know given that Hathaway was such a huge favorite. I don’t think enough Oscar voters saw The Sessions to put Hunt in second and Weaver sure as hell was not second either. I’d say it was Hathaway, Field, Adams, Hunt, and Weaver.

Best Original Screenplay: This was a very hard category to predict at the time but Django ultimately prevailed. With all the controversy I doubt Zero Dark Thirty came in second even with its WGA win. I’ll say Amour but I’m really not sure lol.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Lincoln- Silver Linings pulled off the BAFTA upset but Lincoln had one of the best scripts of the year and was written by Tony Kushner who has a hugely distinguished reputation in theatre and in the literary world.

Your thoughts? Who did you predict to win at the time? Were you angry with the results or happy with the results? Do you think that the race could have been different if Ben Afleck had gotten the Best Director nod?

RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

For this year I remember Best Actress being a category that people were kind of perpetually hoping a strong winner would emerge. I can remember in the editor’s chats it was like one by one the contenders were coming up disappointing to them as they saw the films. (Chastain didn’t have a lot of really dramatic moments, Naomi Watts wasn’t in the film that much.) Riva only seemed to pick up steam late in the voting process when most people had sent their ballots in already.

Cooper may have been second for Best Actor. Lots of people didn’t like Les Miz.

I agree DeNiro and Field were second in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

That was Oscars 2013 then, not 2012.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

That was Oscars 2013 then, not 2012.

No- the 85th Oscars were for honoring the best in film for the year 2012. I don’t know why the editors changed the year labels to the year the ceremony takes place. It is ridiculous as it should be the year that all the films and performances that are being honored were/are released in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

For this year I remember Best Actress being a category that people were kind of perpetually hoping a strong winner would emerge. I can remember in the editor’s chats it was like one by one the contenders were coming up disappointing to them as they saw the films. (Chastain didn’t have a lot of really dramatic moments, Naomi Watts wasn’t in the film that much.) Riva only seemed to pick up steam late in the voting process when most people had sent their ballots in already.

Cooper may have been second for Best Actor. Lots of people didn’t like Les Miz.

I agree DeNiro and Field were second in supporting.

I guess it’s just a popular thing nowadays to hate Jennifer Lawrence but I thought her performance was terrific although I would vote for Riva(I have not seen Watts however). Chastain is good in Zero Dark Thirty but the strangely purposeful limitation of the role hold her back. There is a lot of strength and subtlety to her work but she has barely anything to work with. She looks great on screen in it though. I think Riva could have pulled an Isabelle Huppert and beat Chastain at the Globes if she had been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

No- the 85th Oscars were for honoring the best in film for the year 2012.

Ok then, figured so.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think SLP came second for Best Picture. O’Russell movies often seem to max out in the nominations process yet barely win anything (deservingly imo).

Lincoln is textbook Oscar bait but in such a blatant way that it may have turned off a lot of voters. I think Life Of Pi definitely was the runner-up.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 18 hours ago by  Seven.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 18 hours ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Kevin Jacobsen covered this Oscar race on his podcast last year, and he settled on Life of Pi as the likely runner-up to Argo for Best Picture.

And the Runner Up Is…LIFE OF PI

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

As for the other categories, here are my guesses…

Best Director: It had to have been Steven Spielberg. He was the most respected filmmaker out of all the nominees and pulled off such a remarkable achievement with Lincoln.

Best Actor: I always thought that had it not been for Daniel Day-Lewis, Hugh Jackman probably could’ve taken it. Jean Valjean in Les Misérables is a beast of a role, and Jackman did a lot to pull off his performance, which included shaving his head, growing a beard, and losing weight for the beginning. Not to mention that he did an entire sung-through musical where everything was recorded live on set.

Best Actress: This is a tough one. I’d give the slight edge to Jessica Chastain given that she had won the Critics’ Choice and Golden Globe (in Best Drama Actress) for Zero Dark Thirty. Though we all know that neither of those awards groups overlap with the academy. I can definitely see Emmanuelle Riva as a possibility given that she won the BAFTA for Amour as well as the fact that she did fit into the mold of older Best Actress winners.

Best Supporting Actor: This had to have been the hardest category to predict that year. All five of the nominees were previous winners, and some of them were winning different precursors. I’m leaning more towards Tommy Lee Jones given that he did win the SAG (in absence of Christoph Waltz).

Best Supporting Actress: I think had it not been for Anne Hathaway, Sally Field probably could’ve taken it. She was the most respected actress out of all the nominees and had a very meaty part.

Best Original Screenplay: It had to have been Zero Dark Thirty given its win at the WGA (in absence of Django Unchained).

Best Adapted Screenplay: Guessing the runner-up for this one is really a coin toss. Lincoln only won the Critics’ Choice leading up to the Oscars, and as I previously mentioned, that awards group does not overlap with the academy. Silver Linings Playbook did win the BAFTA, so that’s a possibility. Not to mention that David O. Russell winning here would’ve made sense given that academy members in recent years have used the screenplay categories to award the writer-directors who weren’t winning Best Director.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 16 hours ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel that BAFTA was just trying to spread the wealth by rewarding Silver Linings Playbook since they were voting for Riva in the Best Actress race.I feel like Kushner’s pedigree would have been enough to have him win if the support for Argo wasn’t so strong.

I feel that Chastain’s work wasn’t showy enough to win that year compared to her two competitors. Once Zero Dark Thirty was engulfed in all the controversy and once Bigelow got snubbed her chances took a big hit. She could have rebounded with a win at SAG but once she lost that there was just no way she was going to win.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.