Home Forums Movies Oscars 2017: Last-minute PANIC predicting nominations?

Oscars 2017: Last-minute PANIC predicting nominations?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
pacinofan
GusCruz
  • JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

People are taking out Barry Jenkins? Talk about Oscar eve jitters!!

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Why this comparison to Carol? It didn’t make SAG, DGA, or PGA. And the Academy has never loved Todd Haynes in the first place. Plus, Carol wasn’t a frontrunner to win. Moonlight is.

The Carol comparison was made because some people mistakenly believe that all movies about gay people are the same movie LOL! Of course that was never going to get nominated! Affleck and Argo, on the other hand…

Should I take out Denis Villeneuve and put in Barry Jenkins? Help me out here, these are my 5:

1. Chazelle

2. Lonergan

3. Villeneuve

4. Davis

5. Mackenzie

Jenkins makes more sense than anyone other than Chazelle and except for BAFTA, the film is not even released yet in the UK, Jenkins has been nominated everywhere. Just choose who makes the most sense from the other three.

Get rid of Lonergan because his film is not a great technical achievement and the directing branch seems to gavel technical/visual prowess.

Or get rid of “Arrival” because the directing branch does not seen to care too much about sci-fi.

Or get rid of “Hell or High Water” since it hasn’t shown up that much in the technical awards.

Any one if those three makes more sense to drop over “Moonlight”.

ReplyCopy URL
    DLG
    Participant
    Topics:

F it, I’m predicting Emily Blunt and Jake Gyllenhaal. I know, I should get in the bin. Gotta go with my gut.

I was also thinking about Blunt!
    She got that SAG and BAFTA nom, so I think she could be the Marion Cotillard (2015) of this year.
    I’m also back and forth between how much of a sure thing is Isabelle, but probably that GG win really helped her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lucas A
    Participant
    Topics:

Jenkins makes more sense than anyone other than Chazelle and except for BAFTA, the film is not even released yet in the UK, Jenkins has been nominated everywhere.

Just choose who makes the most sense from the other three. Get rid of Lonergan because his film is not a great technical achievement and the directing branch seems to gavel technical/visual prowess. Or get rid of “Arrival” because the directing branch does not seen to care too much about sci-fi. Or get rid of “Hell or High Water” since it hasn’t shown up that much in the technical awards. Any one if those three makes more sense to drop over “Moonlight”.

Well, I have Hell or High Water out too.  Manchester isn’t as showy, but seems more polished technically than “Moonlight”.  And of course Arrival is following in the footsteps of Close Encounters, which was nominated for director.

My other train of thought is that the director’s branch practically never nominates two directors under forty, so I feel like Chazelle siphons off people willing to vote for Jenkins, not to mention Garth Davis, who while 46 has his debut.  They like nominating directors who have paid their dues – Linklater, Wes Anderson, Abrahamsen, and Cuaron were all first-time nominees – so Lonergan and Villenueve seem more promising.

ReplyCopy URL
    Simon F Williams
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t see a race without Jenkins. I think the big three picture nominees are all untouchable for director too. Villeneauve is also safe but I think less so. My bet is either Ford or Gibson for fifth man, though a Scorsese nod would be amazing. Davis is more likely, I think.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Jenkins makes more sense than anyone other than Chazelle and except for BAFTA, the film is not even released yet in the UK, Jenkins has been nominated everywhere.

Just choose who makes the most sense from the other three. Get rid of Lonergan because his film is not a great technical achievement and the directing branch seems to gavel technical/visual prowess. Or get rid of “Arrival” because the directing branch does not seen to care too much about sci-fi. Or get rid of “Hell or High Water” since it hasn’t shown up that much in the technical awards. Any one if those three makes more sense to drop over “Moonlight”.

Well, I have Hell or High Water out too. Manchester isn’t as showy, but seems more polished technically than “Moonlight”. And of course Arrival is following in the footsteps of Close Encounters, which was nominated for director.

My other train of thought is that the director’s branch practically never nominates two directors under forty, so I feel like Chazelle siphons off people willing to vote for Jenkins, not to mention Garth Davis, who while 46 has his debut. They like nominating directors who have paid their dues – Linklater, Wes Anderson, Abrahamsen, and Cuaron were all first-time nominees – so Lonergan and Villenueve seem more promising.

I do not think the forty year old example of “Close Encounters” is all that useful. It is like saying William Friedkin’s nomination for “The Exorcist” proves the Academy has a soft spot for horror films. It doesn’t and they don’t. Sure more sci-fi films have been nominated for best director than horror films but it is still only. handful. “The Martian” not being nominated last year might be a more important case study for comparison and that movie had a legendary director helming it.

That all being said I have Denis Villaneauve in my predictions but were he to be left off tomorrow it would not surprise me. The Academy have shown themselves to be only somewhat interested in sci-fi films. Were Barry Jenkins to be left off with all his awards and the current political climate that would be a giant surprise and would lead to a lot of anger I am sure the Academy will want to avoid.

ReplyCopy URL
    jhaddad
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep worrying Hidden Figures is underrepresented in my nominations but I don’t know where to include it besides picture, supporting actress, adapted screenplay, and now original song. I also switched to Janelle Monae from Octavia Spencer even though it pained me to do it since I’ve been predicting Spencer since she had 100/1 odds. I have been wanting to include Taraji but I have no idea who she would knock out especially being such a late comer to the race. If voting was held two weeks later or if Fox had held an earlier/stronger campaign I would be predicting her (and the same with Costner).

ReplyCopy URL
    DLG
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep worrying Hidden Figures is underrepresented in my nominations but I don’t know where to include it besides picture, supporting actress, adapted screenplay, and now original song. I also switched to Janelle Monae from Octavia Spencer even though it pained me to do it since I’ve been predicting Spencer since she had 100/1 odds. I have been wanting to include Taraji but I have no idea who she would knock out especially being such a late comer to the race. If voting was held two weeks later or if Fox had held an earlier/stronger campaign I would be predicting her (and the same with Costner).

Agree!
    I also have that a feeling that the Oscars noms it’ll get more nominations than we expect or it’ll have a Selma or Brooklyn kind of performance where there’s only 1 or 2 nominations besides BP.
    Currently I only have it with BP, Octavia Spencer and Screenplay, Original Song and Lead Actress could be spoilers, but I couldn’t make room for them in each category.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

A shocking nomination for Lupita N’yongo (Queen of Katwe) would be so deserving. Probably my 2nd favorite supporting female performance of 2016.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus James Dixon
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My final switch was to remove Isabelle Huppert and put in Taraji P. Henson. Fingers crossed!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

My final switch was to remove Isabelle Huppert and put in Taraji P. Henson. Fingers crossed!

Marcus you’re wrong Henson is a non-factor this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Marcus you’re wrong Henson is a non-factor this season.

Some people have looked for reasons not to predict Huppert all season long despite her being revered by (even American) actors, and the nominations being decided by actors only, and having had a stronger precursor showing than most of the actresses in the past that got the slot she’s aiming for. It’s just ridiculous. And when they get called experts or even editors it makes me just LOL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Wombat988
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m probably letting personal preference get in the way but I’m taking out Runnin’ in favour of Drive it like you stole it. I’ve realised that I didn’t even notice the former in Hidden Figures, while the latter is one of the most memorable parts of the film. I just hope enough voters bothered to watch Sing Street.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.