Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018 Nominations Predictions (Part 7)

Oscars 2018 Nominations Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 599 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +14 hidden )
replies
views
users
Miles
CitizenBlake
Teridax
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Guys, do you think The Shape of Water is the one we don’t expect to win BP, but it will? It ticks all the boxes of an Oscar film. It was set in the Cold War, check. It is an actor’s film, check. It is directed by a Mexican, check. It paid homages to old films, check.

AWDubay
    Participant
    Topics:

Coco deserves to be nominated … it was better than Dunkirk and Get out

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys, do you think The Shape of Water is the one we don’t expect to win BP, but it will? It ticks all the boxes of an Oscar film. It was set in the Cold War, check. It is an actor’s film, check. It is directed by a Mexican, check. It paid homages to old films, check.

Possibly. We’ll have to wait and see, though.

WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Can Coco get a Best Picture please??? It was easily Pixar’s best film since Toy Story 3 and its story was layered with such depth and emotion. If you haven’t seen it yet I highly recommend it. Definitely just as much a film for adults as it was for kids.

Not really the sentiment that is going around for Coco. But it was for Inside Out (plus huge box office) and that didn’t happen. I doubt Coco gets anywhere near that nomination.

That’s unfortunate to hear. I thought Coco was leagues above Inside Out</em, which only had a creative plot idea going for it.

Bird
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly, directed by a Mexican seems to be a better stat for it to win Best Director, with three of the last 5 best director winners being Mexican but only one of those wins accompanied by a Best Picture win.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture
    1. Call Me By Your Name
    2. Lady Bird
    3. Get Out
    4. The Post
    5. The Shape of Water
    6. Dunkirk
    7. Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    8. The Florida Project

I can see a scenario where Mudbound gets into Picture if there are 9 nominees. It could be this year’s Hidden Figures where it doesn’t get into Picture for any other major awards groups but gets into PGA and wins SAG.

Best Director
    1. Luca Guadagnino – Call Me By Your Name
    2. Greta Gerwig – Lady Bird
    3. Jordan Peele – Get Out
    4. Guillermo del Toro – The Shape of Water
    5. Christopher Nolan – Dunkirk
    Alt: Sean Baker – The Florida Project, Steven Spielberg – The Post

Best Actress
    1. Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water
    2. Saoirse Ronan – Lady Bird
    3. Frances McDormand – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    4. Meryl Streep – The Post
    5. Margot Robbie – I, Tonya
    Alt: Jessica Chastain – Molly’s Game

Best Actor
    1. Timothee Chalamet – Call Me By Your Name
    2. Gary Oldman – Darkest Hour
    3. Daniel Day-Lewis – Phantom Thread
    4. Daniel Kaluuya – Get Out
    5. James Franco – The Disaster Artist
    Alt: Tom Hanks – The Post, Jake Gyllenhaal – Stronger

Best Supporting Actress
    1. Laurie Metcalf – Lady Bird
    2. Allison Janney – I, Tonya
    3. Mary J. Blige – Mudbound
    4. Tifanny Haddish – Girls Trip
    5. Octavia Spencer – The Shape of Water
    Alt: Holly Hunter – The Big Sick, Melissa Leo – Novitiate

Best Supporting Actor
    1. Willem Dafoe – The Florida Project
    2. Sam Rockwell – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    3. Armie Hammer – Call Me By Your Name
    4. Michael Stuhlbarg – Call Me By Your Name
    5. Richard Jenkins – The Shape of Water
    Alt: Patrick Stewart – Logan

Best Original Screenplay
    1. Get Out – Jordan Peele
    2. Lady Bird – Greata Gerwig
    3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Misssouri – Martin McDonagh
    4. The Post – Liz Hannah and Josh Singer
    5. The Big Sick – Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani
    Alt: The Shape of Water – Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor, Phantom Thread – Paul Thomas Anderson

Original Screenplay is the hardest category for me to predict. Get Out and Lady Bird are the only sure things for me.

Best Adapted Screenplay
    1. Call Me By Your Name – James Ivory
    2. Mudbound – Dee Rees and Virgil Williams
    3. The Disaster Artist – Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Webster
    4. Molly’s Game – Aaron Sorkin
    5. Logan – Scott Frank, James Mangold, and Michael Green
    Alt: Wonder – Jack Thorne, Steve Conrad, and Stephen Chbosky, The Death of Stalin – Armando Iannucci, David Schneider, Ian Martin, and Peter Fellows , Last Flag Flying – Richard Linklater and Darryl Ponicsan

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Adapted Screenplay
    5. Logan – Scott Frank, James Mangold, and Michael Green

meryl

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

bellattrice
    Participant
    Topics:

[After watching mother! again] You know what is hilarious? I never really cared for Lawrence. Actually I always thought she was overrated and overpraised and that she didn’t deserve any of her Oscar nominations, but this year that she gave a magnificent performance in mother!, she won’t even get nominated for a Golden Globe…

I doubt she won’t get in at the GG.

And honestly, I can’t feel bad for her situation. And I blame the fact that she was extremely over-rewarded for the DOR movies, she received three nominations, an Oscar, and three GG trophies for all that crap, and many actresses with incredible performances were snubbed because of her (ex: Charlize Theron in Mad Max). All these things already pay for her snub for mother!.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

She doesnt like her fans either. If she’s snubbed, then oh well.

Suzanne Vale
    Participant
    Topics:

Margot Robbie will get a major boost for I, Tonya, as the Winter Olympics last most of February and the figure skating is so popular.

Anonymous
    Topics:

I, Tonya will be her Winter’s Bone and playing Sharone Tate in Tarantino’s movie will be her Silver Linings Playbook. Just watch.

ScandalWife
    Participant
    Topics:

I am thinking that Daniel Kaluuya might get into Best Actor for Get Out. I am not sure who he would knock out, but I just feel like he might get in. The support for Get Out is showing. I am totally wrong?

Anonymous
    Topics:

I am fairly confident Kaluuya will get in. He already was nominated at Indie and Gotham and his Critic Chociw nomination only helped him. A Globe nom should be easy on the comedy side. He has an advantage at BAFTA because he’s British. If he gets all of those and Get Out gets an ensemble nomination than he could get SAG. That would easily pave the road for an Oscar nomination. And it helps that Get Out is only gaining momentum.

Anonymous
    Topics:

1) Chalamet
    2) Oldman
    3) Franco
    4) Day Lewis
    5) Kaluuya

Hanks won’t be a threat. Gyllanhall came and went. Watch out for a posthumous nomination for Stanton. Sandler could gain a narrative. In a perfect world Hugh Jackman would be a contender for Logan but that isn’t happening. I’m predicting Tremblay to get a SAG nomination.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

1) Chalamet
    2) Oldman
    3) Franco
    4) Day Lewis
    5) Kaluuya

Hanks won’t be a threat. Gyllanhall came and went. Watch out for a posthumous nomination for Stanton. Sandler could gain a narrative. In a perfect world Hugh Jackman would be a contender for Logan but that isn’t happening. I’m predicting Tremblay to get a SAG nomination.

What are you talking about? Jake Gyllenhaal was nominated for a Critics Choice Award earlier today.

Adam Sandler also isn’t getting ANY kind of narrative. I do think the Dustin Hoffman thing will make a lot of voters not want to watch the film, plus even without that scandal the anti-Netflix bias would still hurt the movie’s Oscar chances, and I don’t think Sandler has the industry support after making garbage like “That’s My Boy” and “Jack & Jill” for so many years. Both he and his movie actually “came and went,” though a Globe nomination isn’t unrealistic considering they nodded him for “Punch-Drunk Love.”

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 599 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2018 Nominations Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.