Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018 Nominees Luncheon (Monday 2/5)

Oscars 2018 Nominees Luncheon (Monday 2/5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Teridax
Atypical
unown
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Over 175 nominees are attending the annual luncheon on Monday. Which 15 of the 20 Oscar acting nominees are going to be there?

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/oscars-2018-which-15-of-20-acting-contenders-will-attend-mondays-nominee-luncheon-news/

WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Are speeches given at this luncheon?

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Are speeches given at this luncheon?

They speak to the press room.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marvel
    Participant
    Topics:

Will there a live broadcasting by chance?

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

ClassPhoto

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Can anyone spot my boy Jonny Greenwood, or was he not there?

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Laura Dern member of the Academy? If yes, does this mean she voted for herself back in 2014 for her supporting actress nomination for Wild?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Laura Dern member of the Academy? If yes, does this mean she voted for herself back in 2014 for her supporting actress nomination for Wild?

Of course she’s a member, she’s on the board of Governors.

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

Chalamet with the babysitters because McDormand wasn’t there. Where was she?

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

ClassPhoto

You know, I’ve gotta give credit where credit is due. This is probably among the very best batches of nominees the Oscars have assembled in history. I doubt it would be my #1 favorite, but the staggering amount of deserving choices such as Deakins + Gassner for BR 2049, Logan in Adapted Screenplay, Christopher Plummer in All The Money In The World, Get Out and Lady Bird in general, The Boss Baby (I don’t care that I’m in the minority on really liking this one), and Baby Driver’s technical nominations truly amaze me. Even for movies they awarded they mostly knew exactly where to award them. For example, I don’t believe for a second Blade Runner 2049 had one of the Top 30 best scripts of 2017, original or adapted. The Oscars smartly gave it nods only in categories it was undeniably deserving like Visual Effects and Cinematography. Same with Dunkirk. While I thought that movie was highly overrated, I get why people loved the experience of it, and it was definitely one of the most talked about war films of the past couple years. The Oscars nominated it for Picture Director, and many techs but wisely chose to snub all of the actors and the script. Even Three Billboards got only what it needed in nominations, while getting appropriately snubbed for its acceptable but unremarkable directing and for most of the tech categories. There was no ridiculous Cinematography or Sound Mixing nomination for Billboards. The Music was one of the most memorable parts of the entire film for me and was thankfully nominated.

Of course, the nominations aren’t perfect for me, as I doubt they will be perfect for anyone. In a Heartbeat, which I found to be cute and lovable, was unfortunately snubbed for the Pixar short Lou, which I found to be mediocre, in Best Animated Short Film. While I’m sad that Patrick Stewart didn’t get nominated for Logan, the only nominees I’d replace him with are TSOW coattail nominee Jenkins and critics darling Dafoe. Preferably Willem Dafoe would get snubbed for the Oscars just like with the Indie Spirits, but that was never going to happen. All the Florida Project fans in the Academy were always going to rally around him as the representation for the Baker film on Oscar night. The Shape of Water was the only film I feel the Oscars went too far in nominating, it was like the La La Land or The Revenant of this year, deserving for many Oscar nods… just not that many. The Star Wars name-checks in the tech categories are disheartening but don’t make me angry since they didn’t come at the expense of anything I loved like Baby Driver for the Sounds or Blade Runner and Planet of the Apes for Visual Effects.

Overall, a truly fantastic batch of nominees, and I cannot wait to see who wins on Oscar night! Please be Roger Deakins, Please let me be able to finally say “Academy Award winner Roger Deakins,” PLEASE…

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Chalamet with the babysitters because McDormand wasn’t there. Where was she?

She doesn’t campaign because she doesn’t care for these awards in general. Didn’t you figure that out from her SAG speech? I think she is the Mark Rylance of this year, where the lack of campaigning won’t hurt her at all since the performance itself is so beloved. Unlike Rylance, she is actually the frontrunner in her category for a movie that could still realistically win Best Picture. McDormand doesn’t need to campaign in order to win, and if she loses she won’t care.

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Read this and thought that maybe she would come.

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/oscars-2018-which-15-of-20-acting-contenders-will-attend-mondays-nominee-luncheon-news/

Oh yeah. I don’t know why they were expecting her. Maybe she agreed to go but changed her mind at the last minute.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

@Teridax McDormand gets criticized sometimes for not campaigning, but that’s something I respect. She probably believes that the performance should speak for itself, not doing interviews all of the time and being on magazine covers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@Teridax McDormand gets criticized sometimes for not campaigning, but that’s something I respect. She probably believes that the performance should speak for itself, not doing interviews all of the time and being on magazine covers.

THIS. I’m glad you understand. She is a true actor, not a “celebrity.”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.