Home Forums Movies Oscars 2018: What if "Big Little Lies" was a movie?

Oscars 2018: What if "Big Little Lies" was a movie?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Miles
distain
DaKardii
  • Profile picture
    LiamJay
    Topics:

Considering the movements going on in Hollywood and considering Big Little Lies’ subject matter; if it were a movie it would be sweeping these award shows.

It would have certainly received Best Picture, Best Actress (for Kidman) and Best Adapted Screenplay, possibly winning the last two.

It would’ve also got nominations for Best Actress (Reese Witherspoon), Best Supporting Actor (Alexander Skarsgard) and  Best Film Editing with other possibilities being Best Supporting Actress (Laura Dern), Best Cinematography and Best Director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AlexVieira
    Topics:

Similar to Rooney Mara (Carol) and Viola Davis (Fences), I believe Nicole Kidman’d be competing as a Supporting Actress in order to get a bigger chance to win – and Witherspoon’d be as the Leading Actress (Would she win? I don’t think so – McDormand is still stronger than her, I believe.) Dern and Woodley? Well… out of competition, I guess. I do think, though, that Skarsgård’d have been a great threat to Rockwell.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by AlexVieira.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by AlexVieira.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I agree with whoever said that Skarsgard would be replaced with a more traditionally movie actor. I think then whoever playing him would have more of a chance against Rockwell.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

If it was just a single two hour film I don’t think it would have done well at all. Being an episodic show invites more of a look in audience that builds through the shows run, with a film it’d risk being pigeonholed as another ‘chick lit’ film following Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. As a TV series it has a Metacritic of 75, assuming it would be the same as a film it’s not going to have critics championing it, maybe some Supporting wins for Kidman from critics.

It’s awards run has been flattering due to being in the Limited Series categories, even then not flawless losing writing to Black Mirror. When facing The Handmaids Tale at PGA and Scripter it lost. It’s strongest plays would be Acting and Writing (in the weak adapted field).

The smart move would be Witherspoon lead and Kidman supporting. I think they’d both get Globe and SAG noms. (If an early release it could knock The Big Sick out of ensemble.) Kidman would get Bafta and Oscar too. Witherspoon’s borderline for Bafta but missing Oscar for Streep. I don’t think either would be competitive for a win anywhere.

The script is an easy WGA, Scripter, Bafta and Oscar nominee. The film could push Molly’s Game out of ACE and PGA but neither certain and could show up at Costume/Production guild in contemporary categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheRedBoy
    Topics:

Nicole Kidman would’ve become a 3 time Oscar winner when she collected Lead Actress and a producers trophy for Best Picture.

Her award sweep was kinda legendary, but her becoming a three time Oscar winner would’ve been even better. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    FrontRunner0811
    Topics:

IT’s Not.

True Detective was a movie?

Rectify was a movie?

Stranger Things? The Crown?

They are TV shows/mini-series/TV ______ for a reason.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

If it was just a single two hour film I don’t think it would have done well at all. Being an episodic show invites more of a look in audience that builds through the shows run, with a film it’d risk being pigeonholed as another ‘chick lit’ film following Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. As a TV series it has a Metacritic of 75, assuming it would be the same as a film it’s not going to have critics championing it, maybe some Supporting wins for Kidman from critics.

It’s awards run has been flattering due to being in the Limited Series categories, even then not flawless losing writing to Black Mirror. When facing The Handmaids Tale at PGA and Scripter it lost. It’s strongest plays would be Acting and Writing (in the weak adapted field).

The smart move would be Witherspoon lead and Kidman supporting. I think they’d both get Globe and SAG noms. (If an early release it could knock The Big Sick out of ensemble.) Kidman would get Bafta and Oscar too. Witherspoon’s borderline for Bafta but missing Oscar for Streep. I don’t think either would be competitive for a win anywhere.

The script is an easy WGA, Scripter, Bafta and Oscar nominee. The film could push Molly’s Game out of ACE and PGA but neither certain and could show up at Costume/Production guild in contemporary categories.

I agree with this post. I thought what was great about it was how long it took the story to play out and how it got more suspenseful as it went along. If it were just two hours it may not have been that good at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Fade
    Topics:

If the series (which is seven hours long) were condensed into a film, it would likely not be good, just like how a film being extended into a television series would likely not be good.

But if we pretend that the series were eligible for the Oscars and that the voters would show zero bias against it for being TV, I think it could have done an excellent job, especially because of its timely nature and the all-star ensemble.

Likely nominations would have been Picture, Actress (Reese Witherspoon), Supporting Actor (Alexander Skarsgård), Supporting Actress (Nicole Kidman, win), and Adapted Screenplay (with a possible win), with other possible nominations including Director and Film Editing.

I believe that Witherspoon is the sole lead in the series since Kidman and Shailene Woodley each have just over half her screen time (by my estimation). And I imagine that Witherspoon (a producer) would fight to not compete against Kidman in the Actress race since she would almost certainly not get nominated if she did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

Two things.

1) If BLL were a movie, it probably would not be nearly as successful as the show. The book BLL is based on is over 500 pages. While a season of a TV show may be able to get all of that content in, a movie would not. A movie would have to cut major corners to save time.

2) But let’s pretend that a movie was made and it WAS as successful as the show. Here’s what I think what nominations would happen at the Oscars, in the best case scenario.

-Best Picture

-Best Director: Jean-Marc Vallee

-Best Actress: Nicole Kidman

-Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon

-Best Supporting Actor: Alexander Skarsgard

-Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern

-Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley

-Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

Two things. 1) If BLL were a movie, it probably would not be nearly as successful as the show. The book BLL is based on is over 500 pages. While a season of a TV show may be able to get all of that content in, a movie would not. A movie would have to cut major corners to save time. 2) But let’s pretend that a movie was made and it WAS as successful as the show. Here’s what I think what nominations would happen at the Oscars, in the best case scenario. -Best Picture -Best Director: Jean-Marc Vallee -Best Actress: Nicole Kidman -Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon -Best Supporting Actor: Alexander Skarsgard -Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern -Best Supporting Actress: Shailene Woodley -Best Adapted Screenplay

Oops. I almost left out who the nominees would replace in their categories in this scenario.

Personally, I believe:

-In Picture, BLL would’ve knocked out Phantom Thread;

-In Director, Valee would’ve knocked out Paul Thomas Anderson;

-In Actress, Kidman and Witherspoon would’ve knocked out Robbie and Streep;

-In Supporting Actor, Skarsgard would’ve knocked out Plummer;

-In Supporting Actress, Dern and Woodley would’ve knocked out Mary J. Blige and Manville;

-In Adapted Screenplay, BLL would’ve knocked out Logan.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Oscar winner Alexander Skarsgard has a nice ring to it. He actually has
    Hold the Dark, The Aftermath, and The Hummingbird Project in 2019 I think. The Aftermath sounds pretty good. They said another one too on the show I was watching and I forgot the name and year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

I know that this probably sounds terribly stupid, but just consider that for a second. I watched Big Little Lies twice a couple of weeks ago and I just loved it so much – IT’S REALLY DAMN GOOD, no joke.

In which categories do you think it’d be competing? Do you think it’d win Best Picture? I believe that Nicole Kidman would just kill brutally Allison Janney (Supporting Actress category). What about Alexander Skarsgård? And the editing? – It’s so amazing!

So, what’s your thoughts?

If O.J.: Made In America could be made eligible for the Oscars in spite of technically being a TV program with a running time of several hours, I think HBO should have done the same with Big Little Lies, considering how much the industry loved it. The show would be sweeping the big awards this year. The only major category I’m not sure it would win is Adapted Screenplay, both because it lost the Writing Award at the Emmys and because James Ivory is so overdue and Call Me By Your Name is so beloved.

OJ Made in America is a documental and actually it was for OJ which AMPAS changed the rules for eligibility for documental features. The idea of HBO considering that is just laughable.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.