Home Forums Movies Oscars 2019 Ceremony Reactions (Part 3)

Oscars 2019 Ceremony Reactions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 448 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Dan Jo
ospencer
  • nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the most misleading Oscar results ever. Does campaining still matter? Should we look only at the performances?

We have a winner who checked all the lists of campaining strategies but still didn’t get love from all the precursors. A winner that didn’t attend to anything, didn’t even campaign at all and won. We also have a charicature imitation winning best actor over better performances. Not to mention a double-winner in a two years spawn. What is the logic?????? Is there a logic????

ReplyCopy URL
    JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Here they are…

replace Mahershawala with Richard E Grant and it’s picture perfect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

replace Mahershawala with Richard E Grant and it’s picture perfect.

perhaps next time. i just can’t fake the reality.

ReplyCopy URL
    The Night Fury
    Participant
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/spike-lee-oscars-green-book-1203148178/

Don’t anger Spike Lee… he’ll be back for more. Also, it appears that Jordan Peele was pissed as well.

WELCOME TO UNPREDICTABILITY.

EMMYS: SEPTEMBER 22
    GLOBES: JANUARY 5, 2020
    SAGS: JANUARY 26, 2020
    ANNIES: TBD
    OSCARS: FEBRUARY 9, 2020

"Thanks for nothing, you useless reptile..." - Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    For Your Consideration: Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Animated Feature, Original Score (John Powell), Original Song (Together From Afar), Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Production Design

Twitter: @FILMSTHESEDAYS
    Facebook: nathan.romberg.7

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

Just realized that 3 of the acting wins were for LGB roles (Colman, Malek and Ali) all on the same night! (:

Yeah, and overall, there were 7 LGBT roles nominated tonight (E. Grant, Weisz, Stone, McCarthy). I think it’s the most representative the Oscars have ever been

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  nahborghi.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  nahborghi.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/spike-lee-oscars-green-book-1203148178/

Don’t anger Spike Lee… he’ll be back for more. Also, it appears that Jordan Peele was pissed as well.

Spike lee should be thankful he won an Oscar. Some people are never satisfied.

ReplyCopy URL
    baker
    Participant
    Topics:

It was all about the cataclysmic fallout that would’ve happened from a movie from a streaming service winning Best Picture. Be grateful it won foreign film. Netflix is the enemy here.

Explain to me why no one out of the 91 Best Picture winners is not English. There is a wall there. Tell me I am wrong when the wall is broken. Don’t tell me when there is one, tell me when there are more than one because there are black movies and homosexual movies that are Best Picture winners but not one Best Picture winner which is not English.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I did enjoy Green Book (sigh) – it was a good solid entertaining movie with terrific performances but gawd it did not deserve to win Best Picture! Oh well… it was 5th for me of the 8 nominees but there were so many better films, like Beale Street, that weren’t even nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Oscar voters had one foot swung over the abyss, and they pulled back. Thank God Roma was kept in its lane. And even with such a mediocre winner as Driving Mr. Daisy, I can live with the result. Netflix has been stopped in its scorched earth tactics. And though few of you believe that at this moment, this is a GOOD thing.

Streaming/VOD is the future of film, whether your narrow-minded skull gets that or not. If it’s not Netflix, it will be Amazon, or Hulu, or Apple, or Disney, etc. “Roma” losing BP tonight was an utter travesty, yet it won’t change what’s to come in the future for the industry.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Streaming/VOD is the future of film, whether your narrow-minded skull gets that or not. If it’s not Netflix, it will be Amazon, or Hulu, or Apple, or Disney, etc. “Roma” losing BP tonight was an utter travesty, yet it won’t change what’s to come in the future for the industry.

I’m trying to imagine Apple or the Google Store (just throwing that out there because why not) delivering a Best Picture winner and it just seems so odd to me lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like Gaga actually got a 3rd standing ovation (during the commercial break):

https://twitter.com/chrissgardner/status/1099869533240619008/video/1

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Spike has the line of the night:

“I’m snake bit. Every time somebody is driving somebody, I lose.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s see how the Academy deny Netflix next year when it’ll be competing with Scorsesse and The Irishman. If that film is mildling good is gonna sweep the Oscars next year.

FYC: Drama Series: Game of Thrones, Succession, Bodyguard. Drama Lead Actress: Emilia Clarke, Drama Lead Actor: Richard Madden, Jeremy Strong. Limited Series: Chernobyl

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Explain to me why no one out of the 91 Best Picture winners is not English. There is a wall there. Tell me I am wrong when the wall is broken. Don’t tell me when there is one, tell me when there are more than one because there are black movies and homosexual movies that are Best Picture winners but not one Best Picture winner which is not English.

There’s only been two majority black films that won BP that didn’t happen until the 86th ceremony in 2014. The only LGBTQ+ film to BP happened just three years (which also happens to be the only other majority black film to win). Their not exactly sweeping bi-yearly like the sweeping epics in the 1980s.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

For a foreign language film to win, it has to be even more entertaining (for basic-level movie goers) than Roma and have similar filmmaking techniques as American films and has to have less competition without a “feel good” movie with little enemies (from the white membership) to take a consensus of second or even third place votes. I personally thought Bohemian Rhapsody was more boring than Roma and that Roma was more interesting than a number of the BP nominees, but I can’t deny so many people found it boring. Looking back, even some art film aficionados had trouble finding “value” in Roma outside of its directing/cinematography. Some like me were a bit disappointed in it because I thought it’d have a lot more to say but seemed to shallowly touch upon deep themes. However, considering the competition, I thought it was a deserving winner and would be the only film maybe outside of BlacKkKlansman to be spoken about after this year, except for like Black Panther only because it appeals to the comic book crowd and will have sequels.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 448 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.