Home Forums Movies Oscars 2019 Ceremony Reactions (Part 3)

Oscars 2019 Ceremony Reactions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 447 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Dan Jo
EsOS
  • Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Spike has the line of the night:

“I’m snake bit. Every time somebody is driving somebody, I lose.”

He should be greateful he was given an Oscar that other people deserved. Lee should grow up, the best film of 1989 was Crimes & Misdemeanors and that wasn’t even nominated and nobody has hear Woody Allen complaining about it ever or Paul Mazursky for the snubbing of Enemies: A Love Story that very same year.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The Artist was a silent film (except at the very end) that was actual French in origin to some extent, but yes, the English language bias was one of the many hurdles that Roma was facing tonight. It didn’t quite make it across the finish line; instead a film that did not have the usual requisite of 6 nominations and no Best Director nomination (but it did have that pesky PGA win) wound up defeating it in the preferential ballots (it wasn’t even a popular hit movie) – it’s disappointing but oh well…

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Stupid question, but what films have WON Best Picture without an editing nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

What Roma’s Best Picture loss means for Netflix:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90311208/what-romas-best-picture-loss-means-for-netflix

Money quotes: “But in the end, the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences may not have been ready to award its top prize to a film from a streaming service, particularly one that is hellbent on destroying the traditional theatrical distribution model. Late in the game, Netflix decided to give Roma a longer theatrical run than it typically gives to awards contenders (three weeks), but that is still far shorter than the traditional 90-day window. (The vast majority of Netflix’s original film releases debut exclusively on its service.) Throughout the Oscar race, the buzz in Hollywood was that “a vote for Roma is a vote for Netflix.”

“This didn’t stop Netflix, however, from mounting a no-holds-barred campaign that included a barrage of billboards, TV spots, glossy coffee table books, experiential events, and private cocktail parties and screenings in support of Roma. As Fast Company was the first to report, the Roma campaign–which was spearheaded by Oscar consultant and Harvey Weinstein protege Lisa Taback–is estimated to have cost about $25 million, though some observers say even that number is far too low.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Stupid question, but what films have WON Best Picture without an editing nomination?

Birdman won without an Editing nomination a few years ago. Don’t know at the top of my head of any others…

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Since the inception of the editing category:
    It Happened One Night
    The Life of Emile Zola
    Hamlet
    Marty
    Tom Jones
    A Man for All Seasons
    The Godfather Part II
    Annie Hall
    Ordinary People
    Birdman

ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

Poor Bradley Cooper 0/3 nominations but Lady Gaga has Oscar now.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Moonlight: Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Mahershala Ali

Green Book: Best Picture, Original Screenplay, Mahershala Ali.

Ali won two Oscars for two Best Picture winners, so very good on him. He should be doing what he is doing he is very talented and deserves more recognition. Hopefully Emmys are next!

Anyway, between Green Book winning BP, and Bohemian Rhapsody being the most awarded movie the winners were mostly a travesty. However, between Shallow, Colman, Bao, and First Man winning I have enough to keep me sane.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow. Colman is by FAR the biggest shocker of the night. I’m thrilled for her, but I’m still reeling from the fact that Close somehow didn’t win.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Since the inception of the editing category:
    It Happened One Night
    The Life of Emile Zola
    Hamlet
    Marty
    Tom Jones
    A Man for All Seasons
    The Godfather Part II
    Annie Hall
    Ordinary People
    Birdman

I am amazed that The Godfather part II and esp. Annie Hall failed to get editing nominations; Annie Hall was really made within it’s editing. Thanks for providing the information! Birdman is the only recent win in the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma seemed to be very popular with the audience in the theater, i don’t believe that its lost was because of any hurdle that Roma was facing. Ever since Green Book won the GG the industry has been reacting to the smear campaign from the woke mafia against GB, a vote for GB was a vote against the woke mafia and in the end that was enough to put it over the top.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

My takeaways:

1). Green Book is the worst Best Picture winner since Crash and, arguably, the worst Best Picture winner ever.
    2). I’m over the moon for Olivia Colman, but I feel so sad for Glenn Close. If she couldn’t win this time, she’s probably never winning.
    3). This was one of the best Oscar ceremonies in years. It didn’t drag nearly as usual and having no host really enhanced the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Birdman is sort of excused because part of its awards narrative was the fact the film had extremely long takes and it became something to admire. So in recent history, I’d say not having an editing nomination will always hurt a film’s BP chances even if that film is a perceived favorite or slight favorite. We all know Alfonso Cuaron was really looking for that editing nomination, unlike Birdman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

My takeaways: 1). Green Book is the worst Best Picture winner since Crash and, arguably, the worst Best Picture winner ever. 2). I’m over the moon for Olivia Colman, but I feel so sad for Glenn Close. If she couldn’t win this time, she’s probably never winning. 3). This was one of the best Oscar ceremonies in years. It didn’t drag nearly as usual and having no host really enhanced the show.

Totally agree (and we have the same user names lol)

Crash remains the worst tho

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

ReplyCopy URL
    musicreloaded
    Participant
    Topics:

Green Book was my 3rd favorite film from the nominees, to was #2 on my predictions, but ROMA was robbed, that film was a masterpiece, Im still in shock.

The Academy hates Glenn??? Or they are waiting for a bigger film??

Is SUNSET BOULEVARD finally green lighted???

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 447 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.