Home Forums Movies Oscars 2019 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

Oscars 2019 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 186 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Aameson
O´Hara
PoweR
  • M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

No, you’re right. It’s fake progressivism.

Black people can’t be blamed for white people seeing them as everything other than people.

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

I would like to know your ranking of the BP nominees from this year. Your tastes interest me a lot.

BlacKkKlansman (3/5)
    The Favourite (3/5)
    Green Book (2.5/5)
    Roma (2/5)
    A Star Is Born (2/5)
    Black Panther (2/5)
    Bohemian Rhapsody (1.5/5)
    Vice (0.5/5)

ReplyCopy URL
    Aameson
    Participant
    Topics:

Black people can’t be blamed for white people seeing them as everything other than people.

No they cannot and you’re absolutely correct but that has nothing to do with the point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aameson
    Participant
    Topics:

For all the fuss over the ‘Popular Oscar’ nonsense this year it is AWFULLY CONVENIENT Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody were nominated, yeah? I’ll bet $100 the show’s producers are anticipating better ratings this year..

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Aameson, they’re just token nominations, a chance for AMPAS to say look, America, we CARE about honoring blockbusters, even though BP doesn’t have a prayer of winning the top prize. It means next to nothing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Greg
    Participant
    Topics:

FUCK LOGAN! FUCK THE DARK KNIGHT! BLACK PANTHER DID WHAT YOUR WACK ASS FILMS COULDN’T! STAY MAD!

Nice try. Black Panther is nominated because of The Dark Knight. People were so mad that this masterpiece wasn’t nominated that the Academy changed their rules of 5 nominees to 10 nominees. Black Panther would not have been nominated with only 5 slots. And The Dark Knight would have been nominated with 10 slots. Even with 5 it should have been. Don’t be this stupid to ignore it.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

He doesn’t look like Freddie like AT ALL.

Honestly, today I saw a picture of Sacha Baron Cohen next to one of Mercury and I was like how can someone be convinced that Malek looks more like Mercury than Cohen, it was a downgrade for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

BlacKkKlansman (3/5) The Favourite (3/5) Green Book (2.5/5) Roma (2/5) A Star Is Born (2/5) Black Panther (2/5) Bohemian Rhapsody (1.5/5) Vice (0.5/5)

Wow, you really loved them. Lol
    Can’t blame ya tho

ReplyCopy URL
    Suzanne Vale
    Participant
    Topics:

Yalitza’s reaction to getting nominated.  Very sweet.

https://twitter.com/yalitzaaparicio/status/1087747265421283331?s=21

ReplyCopy URL
    JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Black Panther is probably one of the worst MCU movies. I am pretty sure had it not had an all black cast it would have been regulated to just getting a best visual effects Oscar nom. I would have preferred Hereditery or A quiet Place to take BP spot. But hey too many white people right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I am beyond tired of people bitching about Black Panther when the dumpster fire known as Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated. Why is everyone so pressed that not even nearly the worst nominee in the lineup got nominated?

Also, I think Collette deserved a nomination, but why is film Twitter so surprised she got snubbed? It was always iffy that she would even make it in, Aparicio had the support of a film that the Academy loved as opposed to one that’s divisive. I’m also really confused as to why people are going on about Hereditary being snubbed BP. That was NEVER happening and I mourned the loss of Collette and Hereditary pretty much after GG noms were announced.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Just got home after a super busy day, but I did manage to watch the nominations annoucement during my lunch break (I’m in the UK). With so many surprises, I’m shocked and delighted to be ranked #65 – I believe this is my first time in top 100 for Oscar noms (for such an active poster I really should be better at this lol). Still, there are lessons to be learned here. Firstly, the Oscars always find a way to remind me of the dangers of overthinking. Analysing precedent and applying it to predictions has its use, but you can go too far with it. There are always curveballs. Secondly, don’t ever let people tell you that something “isn’t happening”. Marina de Tavira, the Coens, Caleb Deschanel all “weren’t happening”. I rest my case.

I got perfect scores in Actress, Supporting Actor, Production Design, Sound Mixing and Makeup (I’ve always wanted to nail this tricksy category and finally did it!) I got all 8 Best Pictures too but that wasn’t exactly difficult – did anyone filling all 10 slots not predict all of them?

ReplyCopy URL
    Aameson
    Participant
    Topics:

I am beyond tired of people bitching about Black Panther when the dumpster fire known as Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated. Why is everyone so pressed that not even nearly the worst nominee in the lineup got nominated?

Simply because of Black Panther’s genre (which has been completely off limits to the Oscars historically) and it’s relative place within the pantheon of films in it’s genre, including the superior Infinity War which also came out this year – which was (also) totally ignored.. That’s befuddling to say the least, to anyone objective.

Also, probably because almost everyone saw Black Panther and most people missed or avoided Bohemian Rhapsody and can’t speak on it..

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Cooper missing director was so predictable and reminiscent of the Affleck debacle. Now that all his votes and sympathy votes are streamlined, I could see Cooper rewarded with best actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I knew that there would be a surprise and it came in Supporting Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.