Home Forums Movies Oscars 2019 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

Oscars 2019 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 186 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Aameson
O´Hara
PoweR
  • AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

Avengers: Infinity War is #1 in the odds to win Best Visual Effects, but even with Black Panther left out I don’t see that happening. They’ll still vote for their favorite film nominated over the best visual effects, that film is just not Black Panther, it’s First Man.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

As of this morning I now have BKKK winning the same 3 Oscars Argo did, we’ll see how long that lasts

ReplyCopy URL
    PerksofBeingaGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

The continued rejection of Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan is SO annoying.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Lisa Lemon
    Participant
    Topics:

Cooper missing director was so predictable and reminiscent of the Affleck debacle. Now that all his votes and sympathy votes are streamlined, I could see Cooper rewarded with best actor.

Nope he ain’t getting best actor at the Oscars out of nowhere when he hasn’t won any major acting awards already this season..lol no chance, & what sympathy votes lol gmab

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Lisa Lemon.
    ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

Nope he ain’t getting best actor at the Oscars out of nowhere when he hasn’t won any major acting awards already this season..lol no chance

There´s still SAG and BAFTA

ReplyCopy URL
    Cire
    Participant
    Topics:

Overall this is one of the better years in my opinion .I was hoping  one of the smaller films I loved last year like First Reformed , leave no trace, can you ever forgive me , beale street and private life would show up in best picture as a surprise but that was a long long long shot .

Really happy for Roma, it’s one of the best films I’ve seen in years and it’s things like this in addition to films like Moonlight and Shape of Water winning BP that keeps me interested in the Oscars.

Didn’t expect that Dafoe nomination but I’m not mad at it ! Great surprise with Roma picking up a BSA Nom.

ASIB scored in all three acting categories , I have a feeling it will probably pick up one of the three ( most likely Cooper I’m thinking ).

Vice has been overperforming this entire season despite the lukewarm reviews and mediocre box office …..great campaign perhaps ?

Glad to see Black Panther in BP, it’s def one of the better comic book adaptations in my opinion; with a subtext beyond the usual tropes.

Bohemian Rhapsody is not a good film at all but I think it’s a case of box office propelling it to the nomination ( I don’t expect it to pick up much but Malik is in three way race here ….let see what happens with SAG)

The two BA categories seem like the most exciting races in ages …seems like it could go to either one of the Close-Colman – Gaga or Bale- Cooper- Malik trios. Though I’d love an upset by Aparacio/ McCarthy or Dafoe .

As a fan of indie cinema I love it when a smaller film pushes through at the Oscars !

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cire.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cire.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Expired
    Participant
    Topics:

Little fun fact.

Ned Beatty – Network (6:00)
    John Marley – Love Story (6:03)
    Basil Rathbone – Romeo and Juliet (6:16)
    Maximilian Schell – Julia (6:49)
    Charles Durning – The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (7:26)
    John Gielgud – Becket (8:07)
    William Hurt – A History of Violence (8:22)

These are the seven shortest nominated performances in Supporting Actor (based on screentime.) Both Sam Elliott and Sam Rockwell are more than likely cracking this, and if memory and speculation serves correct, it’s possible that Rockwell is the shortest nominee in the category’s history, if not super close.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Expired.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Arias
    Participant
    Topics:

Look, I loved ASIB, but I don’t know why I’ve been seeing stans be so pressed about Lanthimos and Pawlikowski making it. Cold War and The Favourite are true directorial achievements worthy of praise, if anything y’all should be pissed that McKay made it over Cooper. I loved the screenplay and acting in Vice and it deserves a BP nomination, but it’s an iffy Director nominee in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. McKay getting in over Cooper, Jenkins, Burnham is troubling. I’m totally behind the other four nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pollo crudo
    Participant
    Topics:

So right now I have:
    Bkkk: wins Picture & Adapted S.
    ASiB: wins Actor & Song.
    Favourite: Original S., Production Design.
    BP: Costumes.
    BR: Sound Mixing.
    Vice: Makeup, Supp. Actress.
    GB: Supp. Actor.
    Roma: Director, Cinematography.

Basically a spreading the wealth year. I’m struggling with Editing and with Score. Personally I don’t want Mahershala to win again in just three years.

I’m thinking Roma could surprinsingly loose FLF, what would voters do? Will they vote Roma both for Picture and Foreign Film? Or just one of them causing a vote split and winning either? Cold War & Never Look Away have extra nods too, also, Shoplifters is quite easy to watch and was awarded the Palme d’Or by a jury predominantly composed from Hollywood people, which says a lot about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

There´s still SAG and BAFTA

Don’t bother, she’s still trying to force the idea Malek is an easy win lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Michael C. Lopez
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully, ‘A Star Is Born’ will win Best Picture to end Bradley Cooper’s drought of Oscar losses for the past five years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Is Beale Street winning all of its 3 noms?

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Little fun fact.

These are the seven shortest nominated performances in Supporting Actor (based on screentime.) Both Sam Elliott and Sam Rockwell are more than likely cracking this, and if memory and speculation serves correct, it’s possible that Rockwell is the shortest nominee in the category’s history, if not super close.

That’s interesting. Rockwell clearly has around 6 minutes as well but there’s one or two scene where he is only in the background. I wonder if that counts ? Elliott must have around 8 imo

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  ospencer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Expired
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s interesting. Rockwell clearly has around 6 minutes as well but there’s one or two scene where he is only in the background. I wonder if that counts ? Elliott must have around 8 imo

I thought so, too! I have yet to see Vice myself (not really itching to run to the cinema to do so haha), but I’ve heard from one person who tried to time it while he was watching it and while not completely accurate, of course, he said that the “scene time” of Rockwell is, at most, about 8 or so minutes – so factoring in how much of those scenes Rockwell isn’t seen or heard in, it looks like we possibly have a new record here.

Still curious on what Elliott’s final number will be, too. I thought he was great, and didn’t realize how little he was in it until somebody pointed it out, and I went to see the film again with family. He really does have five brief scenes, and that’s it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

The elusiveness of Elliott’s character is what made his performance so great. I love actors who manage to do a lot with a very limited screentime. He basically came, acted the hell out of his scenes for a few minutes then disappeared.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.