Home Forums Movies Oscars 2019 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

Oscars 2019 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 186 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Aameson
O´Hara
PoweR
  • Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma is a Netflix film and its theatrical release was mainly just a qualifying run. Netflix is the direction of the future for films.

And that doesn’t terrify you? It scares the shit outta me. They’re not a real movie studio, and they are anathema to the way movies should be seen. In a theater.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma – $2.3m (destined to be the least-seen BP winner in the history of American movies)

Netflix is a huge thing. More people will watch now. It can work wonders (look at sleepers like The Bodyguard, Orange Is The New Black, Hill House, etc and how well those originals did and how it’s helped Schitt’s Creek or even other shows like The Good Place, Parks and Rec, You, the CW Shows, etc get more viewers…albeit on Netflix most likely but they keep them popular).

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

The biggest surprise was Marinda de Tavira’s nomination. I didn’t think Margot Robbie would make the list but I expected someone else. I’m glad because if Roma deserved any acting nominations, it was from her more so than Yalitza who I loved and thought she fit the character perfectly but am more unsure about how much of a performance she gave.

In the BD/DGA thread, I mentioned how I think this may be one of those years where DGA will not match Oscar and sure enough only 3 matched. Not quite the same as the 3 snubs from 2012. BAFTA had a shakier history than I thought but I felt this year BAFTA’s choices would be closer, and they were. I underestimated McKay or overestimated Cooper.

From looking at the nominees, it seems ASIB’s behind the camera support isn’t as strong as we thought missing from the Director’s and Editor’s branches. However, I know I shouldn’t have been, but I’m surprised it still had a Screenplay nomination just because I thought that’d be the branch that would give a surprise snub to it despite its WGA support. That said, the actor’s branch liked it enough to give it the three expected nominations and that bodes well for any of them to win. Ironically, I think Cooper gave the best acting performance and he’s the least likely of the three to win. I know Ali looks strong and is looking to sweep, but I just have a feeling there’s a clamoring for an alternative.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

I never bought Cooper for Best Director. He is a matinee star in his directorial debut of a remake that doesn’t have the best Oscar track record. I’m surprised his screenplay made the cut.

Spike Lee for BD!!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Problemchild.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

My only disappointment is no Beale Street in Best Picture. Otherwise Roma and The Favourite leading the noms, Yalitza getting in Best Actress and Green Book and ASIB missing Director are great outcomes

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Greg
    Participant
    Topics:

I have never seen such backlash like this for the Oscars nominations before. People are MAD as hell on social media over Black Panther nominated for Best Picture (losing so much credibility), Timothée Chalamet being snubbed, Toni Collette being snubbed, Emily Blunt being snubbed TWICE, Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody in Best Picture over A Quiet Place, Eight Grade, If Beele Street Could Talk, Hereditary, First Reformed, First Man, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jazzy
    Participant
    Topics:

And that doesn’t terrify you? It scares the shit outta me. They’re not a real movie studio, and they are anathema to the way movies should be seen. In a theater.

But most Oscar voters watch films on screeners anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

This is more of a surprise in retrospect. I’m surprised Buster Scruggs didn’t get in for BP or had another “surprise” nominee for the Coen Brothers (reminiscent of their True Grit nominations over Christopher Nolan) just because as I was watching the nominations live I was paying most attention to the Scruggs nominations as I wasn’t expecting it.  Granted it was only 3 nominations ultimately, but at the time watching it unfold, it seemed like a lot more.

I have never seen such backlash like this for the Oscars nominations before. People are MAD as hell on social media over Black Panther nominated for Best Picture (losing so much credibility), Timothée Chalamet being snubbed, Toni Collette being snubbed, Emily Blunt being snubbed TWICE, Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody in Best Picture over A Quiet Place, Eight Grade, If Beele Street Could Talk, Hereditary, First Reformed, First Man, etc.

On the other side of social media, so many people are celebrating BP’s inclusion and sad about CRA. So it depends on how these things are algorithmed for you.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  SHT L.
    ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

least-seen BP winner in the history of American movies)

It’s always fun to see you try to make things happen Paul. Never change.

It’s specially ridiculous coming from you, considering what Netflix has done to/for The Good Place. Thanks to knowing that (and you do know) you should at least be able to see through all your usual bullshit and understand that regardless of box office, Roma will NOT be the least seen Best Picture winner ever. Not even close. Even BP winners that grossed millions *could* be seen less than Roma.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have seen Roma in a theater 5 times, the last time in a 70mm print, so while I get what you are saying, watching on a large screen television is a different experience, but it’s what is happening now whether we like it or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

My only disappointment is no Beale Street in Best Picture.

IMO it deserved it more than Vice and especially Bohemian Rhapsody. I also would have loved to see McQueen or Jenkins in Best Director over McKay and Chalamet and Brian Tryee Henry in Supporting Actor over the two Sams.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Problemchild.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Arias
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes. And I loved Roma. But I wish Netflix followed a more traditional theatrical strategy like Amazon did with Manchester by the Sea.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lisandro Costa
    Participant
    Topics:

Easiest predictions:

Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón
    Best Original Song: Shallow
    Best Animated Movie: Spider Man
    Best Cinematography: Roma
    Best Foreign Language Film: Roma
    Best Supporting Actor: Maershala Ali

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

No it doesn’t “terrify” me at all. First off, “Roma” has been seen by more eyes on Netflix than it would have EVER been viewed in traditional theaters. It would have been an incredibly tough sell otherwise for a foreign language, black & white art film. Incredibly disingenuous for you to suggest otherwise. Being the nominations co-leader is a huge turning point for Netflix and the film industry complex as a whole. Accept the chance or crawl back under your depressing troll hole in hiding, but either way, this is significant and surely going to continue in the future, and as soon as next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

I wont tolerate any backlash towards Vice getting a best picture nomination.That’s what she deserves.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.