Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 533 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
kellis
Lil Tony
  • wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a relief it’s boring for a lot of y’all, it means y’all hopefully won’t fuck up the forums with 22 threads about best actress and ruin this category for the people who don’t treat this category as if it’s a nobel peace prize. I’m excited for this year’s best actress race though but for obvious reason of who I want to win and finally be recognized lol.

I feel attacked, babe.

I was merely doing God’s work.

Your fave is Scarlette right?

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope that there is a campaign for Lupita to get nominated. The early release does hurt, but I’d love to see her nominated.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma lost because of the preferential ballot which isn’t relevant when it comes to acting awards. It got 10 nominations, won Best Director (likely in a lanslide) and proved beyond any doubt that Netflix movies can be relevant at the Oscars granted the right amount of campaigning. The anti-Netflix bias did sabotage it in Best Picture indeed, but there was enough passion for it to win the second biggest award.

If an highbrow, slow paced, foreign language movie with absolutely zero starpower in its cast managed to be such a huge contender, there’s no reason why Marriage Story would fail. It will likely be a threat in several categories outside of Best Picture, mainly Lead Actor and Actress.

Cuaron was the star of Roma. It was all about him, and he’s part of the three amigos which the Academy is in love with right now. That’s why it won those major awards. I don’t think Noah can pull that off. Maybe screenplay but that’s it really in my opinion. It might be the critical darling of the year but I doubt it’ll translate into Oscars.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Cuaron was the star of Roma. It was all about him, and he’s part of the three amigos which the Academy is in love with right now. That’s why it won those major awards. I don’t think Noah can pull that off. Maybe screenplay but that’s it really in my opinion. It might be the critical darling of the year but I doubt it’ll translate into Oscars.

I don’t fully understand the comparison of Roma and Marriage Story other than the Netflix distribution, but I would be shocked if Marriage Story doesn’t translate into Oscars. It’s the only film (to my knowledge) that is thought to be showing at the 4 major festivals- Venice, Toronto, New York, and (rumored) Telluride.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Hustlers just got screened for the HFPA.

Keep an eye out for Lopez & Wu.

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Hustlers just got screened for the HFPA.

Keep an eye out for Lopez & Wu.

I think Lopez looks really good in the trailer tbh. I could see her getting some attention for this

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma lost because it won Foreign Language. Similar to Pixar movies competing in Best Picture and Best Animated Feature.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma lost because it won Foreign Language. Similar to Pixar movies competing in Best Picture and Best Animated Feature.

Prior to Roma these were the only ones nominated for Best Picture that were Foreign Language films: Grand Illusion, Z, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Emigrants, Cries and Whispers, The Postman (Il Postino), Life Is Beautiful, Letters from Iwo Jima, Amour, and Babel. I admit I was rooting hard for Roma but just soly looking at this statistic it’s chances of winning were hindered by the whole Netflix thing and the fact foreign films don’t win this catagory

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s between Charlize and ScarJo, with Awkwafina as a spoiler

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Could Awkwafina suffer the same fate as Gabourey Sidibe if nominated?
    Basically, there was so much buzz for Monique, that it somewhat hurt Sidibe’s chances of winning. I honestly don’t remember much buzz around Sidibe until the awards started to role out. Nowadays, many consider Sidibe to be the best of the nominated performances. If the supporting actresses of The Farewell are as good as many say, hopefully a hard campaign for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress is in the works.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Nowadays, many consider Sidibe to be the best of the nominated performances.

As it should be. This one line delivery alone outacted Bullock in her entirety in The Blind Side:

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Sidibe or Mulligan should be winning that year but I’m glad that SaBu has an Oscar lol

Anyway, now that Streep is in supporting:

Awkwafina
    Erivo
    ScarJo
    Ronan
    Theron/Zelly

Alt: Felicity Jones

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hoster1.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hoster1.
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel attacked, babe. I was merely doing God’s work. Your fave is Scarlette right?

i mean….

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s between Charlize and ScarJo, with Awkwafina as a spoiler

Awkwafina for the win?? How?

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

As it should be. This one line delivery alone outacted Bullock in her entirety in The Blind Side:

This is seriously me every time I push that right guy away.

Damn, life’s a mess.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions’ is closed to new replies.