Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
KEllis
DuBoisBlanche
M: The Original
  • Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams will win eventually, if not next year. This talk of Lupita winning a second Oscar for a horror film is absurd, especially when Collette was raved to the heavens just last year and wasn’t even nominated.

1. Kristen Stewart, Against All Enemies
    2. Anne Hathaway, The Last Thing He Wanted
    3. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    4. Natalie Portman, Lucy in the Sky
    5. Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced

Next up:

• Cynthia Erivo – Harriet (Will put her in the top 5 if the film is well received)
    • Amy Adams – The Woman in the Window (The Girl on the Train vibes – hopefully it turns out better)
    • Awkwafina – The Farewell (Summer release, will she be able to last through the end of the year)
    • Amy Ryan – Lost Girls (Baity role + a little bit of stanning)
    • Keri Russell – Antlers (A little bit of stanning + this category seems very empty right now so why not?)
    ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Bold. I actually think Stewart can deliver if she’s given the right role, I mean, she has a Cesar lol, but I don’t think she can have range as an actress in general.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Bold. I actually think Stewart can deliver if she’s given the right role, I mean, she has a Cesar lol, but I don’t think she can have range as an actress.

Lol I know. I’m hesitant on predicting her for the win, but it’s a super baity role and it’s only March so why not? I would honestly predict Hathaway for the win if it wasn’t Netflix. I’m just not confident they could run multiple campaigns for multiple films. Hathaway does seem like she’s bound to win a lead Oscar at some point though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Hathaway does seem like she’s bound to win a lead Oscar at some point though.

Definitely, though I think it’s a bit too early rn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    2. Amy Adams, The Woman in the Window
    3. Lupita Nyong’o, Us
    4. Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced
    5. Meryl Streep, The Laundromat

ReplyCopy URL
    DuBoisBlanche
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are these threads locked at the top? It’s annoying, if you care about what we are predicting you can check our 2020 Oscar Predictions thread.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

What happens when Erivo will lose the BA Oscar?

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are these threads locked at the top? It’s annoying, if you care about what we are predicting you can check our 2020 Oscar Predictions thread.

What do you mean locked at the top?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jaredm1
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams will win eventually, if not next year. This talk of Lupita winning a second Oscar for a horror film is absurd, especially when Collette was raved to the heavens just last year and wasn’t even nominated.

2. Anne Hathaway, The Last Thing He Wanted
    3. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    4. Natalie Portman, Lucy in the Sky
    5. Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced

Next up:

• Cynthia Erivo – Harriet (Will put her in the top 5 if the film is well received)
    • Amy Adams – The Woman in the Window (The Girl on the Train vibes – hopefully it turns out better)
    • Awkwafina – The Farewell (Summer release, will she be able to last through the end of the year)
    • Amy Ryan – Lost Girls (Baity role + a little bit of stanning)
    • Keri Russell – Antlers (A little bit of stanning + this category seems very empty right now so why not?)

A great performance isn’t everything though! Toni already got nominated for a critically acclaimed performance in a very popular horror movie, the sixth sense, which is why I do not understand all of the comparisons to Toni last year as is she wasn’t nominated for a horror movie already!— PLEASE explain to me why that is because I’m legitimately curious and confused about that! If the movie is very successful and one of the biggest movies of the year I can see her getting nominated. A horror movie doesn’t have to be politically charged either to get nominations either! We are also talking about acting skills in general, not the movie! The movie might not get nominated for best picture but that has nothing to do with Lupita getting nominated for her performance if it is amazing! Again please inform me about my question that I had.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

What happens when Erivo will lose the BA Oscar?

The academy is declared racist? Well, if she doesn’t even win GG, then she won’t be a contender for the win, but if she does, she’ll have a hard time winning as a newcomer and as a black woman. Though I think the Academy doesn’t necessarily have a bias for best actress when it comes to black women. Haven’t really looked into the issue, but I think the Meryl over Viola win was delicate and was for other reasons mainly than Viola being black. Just saying, idk.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

The academy is declared racist? Well, if she doesn’t even win GG, then she won’t be a contender for the win, but if she does, she’ll have a hard time winning as a newcomer and as a black woman. Though I think the Academy doesn’t necessarily have a bias for best actress when it comes to black women. Haven’t really looked into the issue, but I think the Meryl over Viola win was delicate and was for other reasons mainly than Viola being black. Just saying, idk.

I’d agree with that. I think Davis lost votes for a variety of reasons: it was a role as a maid (considered stereotypical although they did vote for Octavia), role was considered supporting by some whereas Meryl was a true lead and a woman carrying her own film. Plus they really got the message out that Meryl hadn’t won in 30 years (thanks to Gold Derby) which a lot of people hadn’t realized and thought she had a ton of Oscars. Plus Viola didn’t have a “first” narrative since Halle Berry had won.

Erivo’s casting has already angered some since they didn’t hire an American actress to play such an iconic American hero. That could hurt her. She’ll have to be really good in a really good film to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    JROCK1772
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams, The Woman in the Window
    Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced
    Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    Nicole Kidman, Fair and Balanced
    Renée Zellweger, Judy

If anyone sneaks in, it’s going to be Meryl.

Lupita will be the Michael B. Jordan hopeful nominee that simply cannot hold on long enough to reap a nomination. Saoirse will be passed over in favor of the supporting actresses serving as representation for Little Women (most likely Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlen, or Streep). Fingers crossed for Honor Swinton-Byrne!

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Lupita will be the Michael B. Jordan hopeful nominee that simply cannot hold on long enough to reap a nomination.

Lupita does have the performance though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d agree with that. I think Davis lost votes for a variety of reasons: it was a role as a maid (considered stereotypical although they did vote for Octavia), role was considered supporting by some whereas Meryl was a true lead and a woman carrying her own film. Plus they really got the message out that Meryl hadn’t won in 30 years (thanks to Gold Derby) which a lot of people hadn’t realized and thought she had a ton of Oscars. Plus Viola didn’t have a “first” narrative since Halle Berry had won.

Erivo’s casting has already angered some since they didn’t hire an American actress to play such an iconic American hero. That could hurt her. She’ll have to be really good in a really good film to win.

I don’t think the fact that the role was a maid put a dent in her chances- I feel that yeah her role being more of a co-lead hurt her compared to Meryl’s role and the performance wasn’t showy enough to beat such a classic Oscar bait performance. Too bad because she was really deserving but so was Meryl. At least Viola has an Oscar now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams, The Woman in the Window
    Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced
    Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    Nicole Kidman, Fair and Balanced
    Renée Zellweger, Judy

If anyone sneaks in, it’s going to be Meryl.

Lupita will be the Michael B. Jordan hopeful nominee that simply cannot hold on long enough to reap a nomination. Saoirse will be passed over in favor of the supporting actresses serving as representation for Little Women (most likely Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlen, or Streep). Fingers crossed for Honor Swinton-Byrne!

Meryl will make it- she always does. Everybody says that this season will be the one where she gets snubbed but come Oscar nominations morning she adds another nomination to her record breaking list of noms.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.