Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 533 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
kellis
Lil Tony
  • nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

join the winning team honey.

I’m sure Theron will be great, but will the story hit a little close to home? I know people win for playing real people all the time, but how often is it for basically playing someone in the present? It happens less often in general in Best Actress, there the last one I can find who won for playing a real life contemporary figure was Sandra Bullock, and Leigh Anne Touhy is hardly a celebrity like Megyn Kelly. Before that the last one I could find is, ironically, Charlize Theron when she won way back in 2003 for Monster, playing Aileen Wournos, and even that story was set 12 years previously. The closest comparison would probably be Julia Roberts, who won in 2000 when her film would’ve been set in the early 90s. And before that, I didn’t notice any for like decades. Didn’t see any examples at all in best Actor either. Point is, it’s pretty rare/almost unprecedented for someone to win an oscar for playing a CONTEMPORARY real life figure. Emmy’s, sure. Oscars, not so much.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  nkb325.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  nkb325.
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think people here are sleeping on Ronan. She has the overdue narrative on her side now after 3 nominations, and based on the trailer it seems like she has the performance as well. Plus her film is going to be a massive Oscar contender with huge box office and probably a lot of critical acclaim.

I can’t see Ronan winning for this period remake. They’ll probably make her wait for the win just like they did Kate Winslet.

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

My concern with Bombshell is that it’s going to be too hard to balance the tone. They’re all enablers of a fascist propaganda network and if the movie can’t balance that truth with with the sympathy it has to show them as sexual harassment victims, it’ll fail. The easy way out is to just gloss over the fact that it’s Fox News and make it bland and simplistic as a result.

But then again, Green Book. Really not sure how much to take quality into account anymore.

brb stanning Adam Driver

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling Goldderby will be stanning hard for Pugh come January.

Pugh stan since Fighting With My Family here.

My concern with Bombshell is that it’s going to be too hard to balance the tone. They’re all enablers of a fascist propaganda network and if the movie can’t balance that truth with with the sympathy it has to show them as sexual harassment victims, it’ll fail. The easy way out is to just gloss over the fact that it’s Fox News and make it bland and simplistic as a result.

But then again, Green Book. Really not sure how much to take quality into account anymore.

Thats a good point. The tv show got lukewarm reviews since the tone was all off. And this is Jay Roach we are talking about.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  PJ Edwards.
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hoping Alfre Woodard stuns and gets a nomination for Clemency. I know she’s been forgotten already but a miracle can still happen.

FYC
    Best Actor :.
    Taron Egerton = Rocketman
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker
    Eddie Murphy = Dolemite is my Name

Best actress :
    Charlize Theron = Bombshell
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor
    Brad Pitt = Once upon a time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress =
    Margot Robbie = Any of her two performances.
    Dame Maggie Smith = Downton Abbey
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hoping Alfre Woodard stuns and gets a nomination for Clemency. I know she’s been forgotten already but a miracle can still happen.

This Academy ignored her for Passion Fish to make room for Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

This Academy ignored her for Passion Fish to make room for Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.

so are you saying she’s still not happening this time?

FYC
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker

Best actress :
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor

Supporting Actress =
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

8CHRIS5
    Blocked
    Topics:

Every year someone wins for playing a real life person. Only year this decade that hasn’t happened is 2016.

If Adam Driver wins Best Actor

Laura Dern wins Supporting Actress

And Brad Pitt wins Supporting Actor

Then that means Theron, Erivo or Renee are he only possible winners unless there’s a 2016 repeat which is rare.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

The obstacle for Theron is that she’s playing a very disliked real person who is more or less the protagonist (?) of the movie. I don’t know how it will pan out, but if Kelly is portrayed as too much of a victim or hero in the movie there will likely be a reminder of her racist comments in the past. This is more complex than Bale as Dick Cheney who can more or less just be categorized as a horrible person and the crowd can move on.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

The obstacle for Theron is that she’s playing a very disliked real person who is more or less the protagonist (?) of the movie. I don’t know how it will pan out, but if Kelly is portrayed as too much of a victim or hero in the movie there will likely be a reminder of her racist comments in the past. This is more complex than Bale as Dick Cheney who can more or less just be categorized as a horrible person and the crowd can move on.

why does it have to be based on the likeness of the fellow portrayed? Isn’t it supposed to be a performance thing? The way you guys judge performances is just totally wrong.

They said Tonya Harding isn’t liked…that killed Margot Robbie’s award changes despite giving the best performance in that year.

If Charlize gives the best performance, let her win. Period

FYC
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker

Best actress :
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor

Supporting Actress =
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I read that Megyn Kelly isn’t portrayed as a hero in the movie.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Alfre Woodard is not happening. Her movie has that Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool release Date. By the time her film comes out all of the contenders will be set and done.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

why does it have to be based on the likeness of the fellow portrayed? Isn’t it supposed to be a performance thing? The way you guys judge performances is just totally wrong. They said Tonya Harding isn’t liked…that killed Margot Robbie’s award changes despite giving the best performance in that year. If Charlize gives the best performance, let her win. Period

i didn’t say I personally wouldn’t award her for playing Kelly, I’m just saying it’s going to be tricky to win an Oscar for playing a real life person when the real life person is hated yet not the villain of the story. This is not my personal opinion, but rather an obstacle I can see in the awards campaign. In fact, I like Charlize, but I’ll go on record saying there’s no way she wins an Oscar for playing Megyn Kelly. Nomination sure.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Every year someone wins for playing a real life person. Only year this decade that hasn’t happened is 2016.

If Adam Driver wins Best Actor

Laura Dern wins Supporting Actress

And Brad Pitt wins Supporting Actor

Then that means Theron, Erivo or Renee are he only possible winners unless there’s a 2016 repeat which is rare.

This is the worst way to predict. No one is going through their ballot and saying I HAVE TO VOTE FOR THIS REAL PERSON OR ELSE!!! And there are no locks to win in August lol.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

why does it have to be based on the likeness of the fellow portrayed? Isn’t it supposed to be a performance thing? The way you guys judge performances is just totally wrong. They said Tonya Harding isn’t liked…that killed Margot Robbie’s award changes despite giving the best performance in that year. If Charlize gives the best performance, let her win. Period

Then, you don’t know the trajectory of winning an Oscar (lol @ Margot Robbie when she didn’t even give the best performance in the movie). Playing an extremely dislikable real life person can be detrimental to the win, especially if you’ve already won before.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions’ is closed to new replies.