Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 533 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Victor Cruz
kellis
Lil Tony
  • Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait why are people having locks already? Best actress is always the most bizzarre and the least coherent with best picture. In a year with no overdue narrative, no super-duper-extraordinary performance, noone is a sure thing to get nominated, let alone win! This year’s best actress may seem weak, but it’s still stacked, like always!

It doesn’t even seem to be stacked. I mean, people are predicting Saoirse Ronan with an umpteenth remake, that didn’t even help her last year.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Charlize already has an Oscar. Sally needs hers.

I get you but Charlize strikes me like someone who actually deserves to win a second Oscar. A great actress and box office maker… So versatile

Taron Egerton (Rocketman) for best actor. Charlize Theron looks great in Bombshell teaser

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm, I’m not a huge fan of hers. And I wouldn’t call her versatile. She always gives cold, tough performances no matter the character. I guess an exception would be Young Adult which is actually my favorite performance of hers. And she’s been doing action or trashy comedy movies, I can’t really feel that she’s overdue for a 2nd Oscar just because it’s been a lot of years since her first win. 3rd nomination though, sure.

Charlize has done great work this decade.
    Young Adult
    Snowwhite and The Huntsman
    Mad Max Fury Road
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    Atomic Blonde
    Tully
    Long Shot

She can do Drama, comedy, action, sci-fi. In other words anything. I don’t think there’s an actress that can do any genre as effortlessly as Charlize Theron.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

people are predicting Saoirse Ronan with an umpteenth remake, that didn’t even help her last year.

The thing is, we’ve actually seen Ronan act in her trailer, whereas we’ve only seen Charlize Theron stare, twitch, and look like Megyn Kelly. I think she looks great too, but people are overating her performance drastically, and sleeping hard on Ronan.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like our suspicions about Streep being lead were correct according to this Variety review of the Laundromat.

In form, “The Laundromat” is “Traffic” lite, and it has a message that’s even more timely and important: The world — our world — is being looted. And here’s how. But this time, Soderbergh works with a let’s-try-it-on prankishness. He divides the movie into lessons with snark titles like “Secret Number One: The Meek Are Screwed.” He has Streep, in disguise, playing a Panamanian office drone whose anonymity turns out to be an in-joke. And Mossack and Fonseca look right into the camera to inform us that shell companies in Delaware (yes, Delaware) are so common that “the director of this film” uses five of them. At the end, though, Soderbergh lets his lead actress take over, turning the film into a grand tour de Streep of “J’accuse!” And why not? Streep and Soderbergh are saying that this issue matters more than their own damn movie. Who are we to disagree?

M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

They say Streep takes the backseat for the second half. They could campaign her in supporting. It wouldn’t be Vox Lux level fraud I think. Her reviews are good but not win-worthy, so she’d have a better chance in supp.

Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

^It was obvious from the trailer. She is getting that GG C/M nod!

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing is, we’ve actually seen Ronan act in her trailer, whereas we’ve only seen Charlize Theron stare, twitch, and look like Megyn Kelly. I think she looks great too, but people are overating her performance drastically, and sleeping hard on Ronan.

What we saw from Charlize we haven’t seen before where as what we saw from Ronan she’s done many times before.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm, I’m not a huge fan of hers. And I wouldn’t call her versatile. She always gives cold, tough performances no matter the character. I guess an exception would be Young Adult which is actually my favorite performance of hers. And she’s been doing action or trashy comedy movies, I can’t really feel that she’s overdue for a 2nd Oscar just because it’s been a lot of years since her first win. 3rd nomination though, sure.

I completely disagree with you. Like Victor Cruz already pointed out, she’s so versatile. Her body of work is diverse.

Taron Egerton (Rocketman) for best actor. Charlize Theron looks great in Bombshell teaser

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if reviews for Judy aren’t unanimously glowing, Zellweger can still get in based on the role.

The Oscars love biopic performances even if the movies themselves are mediocre.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Judy is like The Iron Lady:a film that gets lukewarm reviews, but Renee gives such a dominating performance that she rises above the mediocrity.

Pamela Isley, Poison Derby
    Participant
    Topics:

Renée is getting in but Johansson is winning unless Theron gives a juggernaut performance or if Harriet is any good (which I highly doubt).

Come join me. My garden needs tending.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

The other role Meryl Streep has in The Laundromat (she plays multiple roles seemingly) sounds like it’ll be a problem to her campaign

” No: in fact, she shows up as a different character, wearing prosthetics and putting on a thick pan-Latin accent. This is a bizarre and rather galling unforced error, especially in an era of heightened consciousness about representation and appropriation. It’s not a huge role, but any one scene of Streep essentially playing Agador Spartacus’s mom is a scene too many.” – RICHARD LAWSON Vanity Fair

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like our suspicions about Streep being lead were correct according to this Variety review of the Laundromat.

Maybe she is lead, but I often see the term “lead actor/actress” used quite loosely to refer to players who clearly are not leads.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Judy is like The Iron Lady:a film that gets lukewarm reviews, but Renee gives such a dominating performance that she rises above the mediocrity.

Streep won for The Iron Lady because of narrative: 29 years since Sophie’s Choice. For Zellweger the nomination is the win.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions’ is closed to new replies.