Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
KEllis
DuBoisBlanche
M: The Original
  • M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

If she won over Glenn freaking Close on probably the most anticipated/supported overdue narrative ever, she would’ve easily won over Gaga or anyone else. One of the best performances of the century won for once, just accept it.

Gaga was not unbeatable based on performance alone. McCarthy’s costar overshadowed her. The indigenous actress was glorified slot filler. Film voters are hesitant about Close. She definitely is respected enough to earn nods and praise from costars but the excuses for why she continues to lose are bullshit.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Her performance is anything but what you are saying lol. She is overrated here.

Gaga was not unbeatable based on performance alone. McCarthy’s costar overshadowed her. The indigenous actress was glorified slot filler. Film voters are hesitant about Close. She definitely is respected enough to earn nods and praise from costars but the excuses for why she continues to lose are bullshit.

My point was that even if they were all sweeping, Colman still would’ve won if she won against Close. It’s ridiculous that she lost all those 70s/80s noms, but this Century’s noms were for films that people consider pretty boring and had at least 1 performance that was better (this year at least did).

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Angelina Jolie Changelling
    2. Ellen Burstyn RFAD
    3. Charlize Theron Monster
    4. Julian Moore FFH
    5. Meryl Streep Doubts
    6. Viola Davis TH
    7. Natalie Portman Black Swan
    8. Marion Cotillard La Môme.

I mean I can go on and on, stop that BS. She won good for her, but this performance isn’t passing the test of time, that was a 2018 thing.

Lol “[her] performance isn’t passing the test of time.” Stop this nonsense. It’s been universally acclaimed by critics and audiences alike, she’ll be fine. I can go on and on about how there were a million other performances that were better than Glenn’s 21st Century ones. I posted saying how I hope that another performance of that stature wins and you are still so pressed that you’re trying to push that the performance will age horribly. The Close stans on this forum…

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice try Jan!

Kord, this is your third account and you’re not fooling anyone.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

You shouldn’t have edited that post to “Nice try Jan,” you sold yourself out. Dear Kord, you were amazing during awards season, spilling tea everywhere, but this Olivia-Glenn business…

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

You know who else has been universally acclaimed? Glenn Close in TW. She even won a Drama GG and the SAG.. Btw Glenn’s Patty Hewes (even though I didn’t watched any episode of the show) is one of the most acclaimed TV characters in the 21th century so try harder. I didn’t bring Close to the convo. You were the one doing so, i was talking the performances since the 2000… and that’s irrelevant to be honest lol… Glenn has been praised on internet, everywhere Twitter and all that ppl wanted her to win more than they wanted anyone else and you know that.

I was talking about film performances (actually started watching the show and she was pretty good, but I was too lazy to start a new binge). I didn’t bring Close into the conversation, M did (a convo that you were obviously gearing towards). I’m not saying she wasn’t universally praised or that people didn’t want her to win, but evidently more people wanted to reward Colman than her.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. I doubt more Ppl wanted to see Art Carney winning Over Albert Finney, Al Pacino or even Jack Nicholson.
    2. I doubt more ppl wanted to see Al Pacino winning for SOAW over Denzel Washington in Malcom
    3. I doubt more Ppl wanted to see Meryl Streep ( thong very deserving) wining a 3rd Oscar over Viola Davis who could have been the second black BA winner.
    4. I doubt more ppl wanted to see Judy Halliday winning over Gloria Swanson and Bette Davis
    5. I doubt more ppl wanted Grace Kelly to win over Judy Garland
    6. I’m sure ppl would have Kate Winslet the Oscar for Titanic.

The Academy is the Academy, I assume more ppl wanted to see Glenn Close with an Oscar than any other actress this year.

The Academy is the Academy, but if this year is evident, plenty of people wanted to see the current winners win and those previous winners at the time, even if they severely lacked taste/talent (box office would show you that less people watched the TW than TF or ASIB, so it’s doubtful that many were wanting to reward her in the first place). Those wins may age badly because people realized later that those others either didn’t get another chance or that they deserved it more, but I highly doubt that’ll be the case with Olivia when Glenn wins for Sunset. I’m just going to stop talking about this because I’m getting tired of how pressed people get in regards to Close.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Why you think I’m pressed ? I’m just bringing examples to justify my point of view… I’m just saying the actual winners are not often who the general/universal public wants to win.

Just one question… Do you really think Marion Cotillard was better than Julie Christie? And that she would have been a bad/horrible winner?

I was just referring to people in general getting pressed (like that whole thread that M made), the amount of going back and forth on Glenn Close is exhausting. But in regards to your two questions, I honestly haven’t watched either and can’t answer that. I’ve never found the time to. But I’ve heard that either would be considered one of the best Actress wins of this century.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jaredm1
    Participant
    Topics:

Cunt.

Oops… guess who’s getting suspended

Surprise it’s you!!!!!😊

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom O'Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Graff988 — This is your last warning. If you create more accounts, I will have you completely banned from this site.

M: The Original — If we catch you again blasting our users as “Cunt” and “Cocksucker,” you will also be banned. Knock it off!

Tom ONeil

ReplyCopy URL
    Jaredm1
    Participant
    Topics:

Graff988 — This is your last warning. If you create more accounts, I will have you completely banned from this site. M: The Original — If we catch you again blasting our users as “Cunt” and “Cocksucker,” you will also be banned. Knock it off!

Thank you Tom. Graff988 isn’t really a problem! He gives his opinion and people don’t like it so we debate but we all still like him because he puts in the different opinion so we actually have something to talk about.

On the other hand two accounts that I know of have been suspended for calling people a c*** and it’s not ok! Than you for noticing.👍🏼

ReplyCopy URL
    wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Best actress is definitely the gift that keeps on giving.

I mean, I wanted Close to win but if they awarded Colman without her campaigning and not a typical young actress, then there’s some hope for the future. The other categories were really horrible TBH.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are we still talking Close vs Colman on the 2020 Best Actress thread..

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are we still talking Close vs Colman on the 2020 Best Actress thread..

Because Close’s defeat is a bitter pill to swallow. And it means she’s a martyr equivalent to Annette Bening after two consecutive defeats by Hilary Swank. Best Actress is the most political category at the Oscars regardless of anyone’s opinion to the contrary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys haven’t heard of Clemency?

Anyway, here we go….

Alfre Woodard, Clemency (current front runner)

Cynthia Erivo (we trust the project already)

Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced

Others follow

I don't know who to STAN yet

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.