Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

Oscars 2020: Best Actress predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 204 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
1 min ago
replies
views
users
kellis
Jays
HarmonV
  • dorseyhorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Saoirse Ronan
    Cynthia Erivo
    Natalie Portman
    Charlize Theron
    Awkwafina

I’ll believe Scarjo the second it happens and not a moment before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If the trailer for Little Women is any indication, I will be rooting for Ronan to finally win her Oscar.

Emmy voters must bend the knee to Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke for "Game of Thrones." It's their last chance to award them. Make it happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

I so love the Midsommar trailer. But it’s not showing in my country and I can’t find a link yet. Anyone with a link to where I can get it for download?

I don't know who to STAN yet

ReplyCopy URL
    OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

My Current Rank:

1. Renee Zellweger, Judy
    2. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    3. Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    4. Natalie Portman, Lucy in the Sky
    5. Felicity Jones, The Aeronuats
    6. Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    7. Awkwafina, The Farewell
    8. Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced
    9. Kristen Stewart, Seberg
    10. Alfre Woodard, Clemency
    11. Helen Mirren, The Good Liar
    12. Lupita Nyong’o, Us
    13. Jodie Turner-Smith, Queen & Slim
    14. Cate Blanchett, Where’d You Go Bernadette?
    15. Jessie Buckley, Wild Rose
    16. Julianne Moore, Gloria Bell
    17. Francesca Hayward, Cats
    18. Penelope Cruz, Wasp Network (18 cause 2019  release is unconfirmed)
    19. Emma Thompson, Late Night
    20. Sally Hawkins, Eternal Beauty (Same Reason as #18)
    ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Ranking:

1) Renee Zellweger – Judy (Comeback narrative + her trailer looked good)

2) Saoirse Ronan – Little Women (Oscar’s new sweetheart)

3) Cynthia Erivo – Harriet (Could win with importance of role, but that trailer looked bad)

4) Scarlett Johansson – Marriage Story (overdue to be nom’d)

5) Awkwafina – The Farewell (Great performance in potential BP nominee)

—–

6) Kristen Stewart – Seberg (Hollywood star thats coming up on her due. Charlie’s Angels might help… or hurt)

7) Charlize Theron – Fair & Balanced (Has to knock it out of the park bc comedic performances are rare)

8) Jodie Turner-Smith – Queen & Slim (Trailer looks amazing… could be nom’d if its a “star-turning performance”)

9) Helen Mirren – The Good Liar (Hollywood loves and respects her… if the movie and role are a hit, watch out… its not the strongest of years for this category).

10) Natalie Portman – Lucy in the Sky (Honestly, the trailer looked weird and confusing and knowing its director, the movie might be too sci-fi/strange for voters to embrace)

ReplyCopy URL
    OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

7) Charlize Theron – Fair & Balanced (Has to knock it out of the park bc comedic performances are rare)

Are we sure its comedy?

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly, I wasn’t planning on predicting Ronan for a nom before, but the way this year is shaping out, she might end up to taking it.

Johansson could but she’ll need to be undeniable to win on her first nom or a BP win for Marriage Story imo (not going to put money on that though lol). I used to think Erivo could’ve done it no matter the quality of the film but that trailer did more damage on my confidence than it should have. Portman, although I pray for it and do rituals on a daily, isn’t winning a second this decade. Unless the Globes push her drama and she wins, I doubt Zellweger wins a second with the less-awards friendly career she’s had since her first and the Academy could care less about comebacks (Miles had a post regarding this awhile back). If Lawrence does release this year, I see it going American Sniper and get her a nom but too late for a win (she probably won’t be competitive until next time anyways). A Theron win would seem weird to me. Streep is, well, not winning lol. If Stewart gets raves and the film is as baity as it seems, she could be a lock for the nom and maybe competitive for the win, but I’m mixed on her getting the Globe. Woodard seems plausible but she’ll need the critics.

Ronan, although in a remake, seems to be at an appropriate time in her career for a win after her other noms and I could easily see her win the Globe, and then the rest. I’m not willing to stake my life on it, but she’s overdue and realistic competitive contenders are lacking.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Jo in Little Women is sort of the perfect blend of Ronan’s three previous nominated performances, and the remake factor might actually work in her favor with a “role she was born to play” narrative happening. Just a thought.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions for this category, right now, are

Saoirse Ronan (Her performance looks like it’s going to be very good based on the trailer, and despite her young age, this would be her fourth nomination, so I actually think she has the most potential to win.)

Renee Zellweger (Every year we always get at least one nominee who’s playing a real life character, and this looks like it’s going to be that performance. If the movie flat-0ut bombs though, I could see Zellweger missing out.)

Scarlet Johansson (Based on the buzz for this film, it sounds like this could be Scar-Jo’s first nomination at last. Unlike Driver, however, I don’t think she has much of a chance of winning, since it is her first nom.)

Awkwafina (Another potential first nom who, based on the raves she’s gotten so far, looks like a strong early candidate for a nomination. She would also add some much needed diversity to this category.)

Meryl Streep (Never count out Meryl Streep. She almost always gets nominated, and it’s usually for this category and not supporting actress. So yes, I think she will go for lead actress for The Laundromat.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story (likely top 5 BP contender + having a huge year + could be seen as overdue for a nom/win)

2. Felicity Jones, The Aeronauts (buzz on her performance is great as well as the movie itself + could potentially rack up a lot of nominations + she’s the type of actress who wins in this category lately)

3. Renée Zellweger, Judy (comeback narrative + playing an icon + the lineup needs a veteran type)

4. Awkwafina, The Farewell (indie film that could + star is rising fast + great reviews)

5. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women (a little skeptical on this because it doesn’t seem like it’s playing any fall fests but she seems to be an Academy favorite + if the film is in BP I think she’s in – but if it’s not then I could easily see her missing + she’s not winning for playing Jo March lol)

6. Cynthia Erivo, Harriet (trailer looked beyond basic and made for TVish but the role is still baity and God knows she’ll campaign till the end)

7. Charlize Theron, Fair and Balanced (SAG catnip + kind of overdue for another nomination + transformation + but the film might be too divisive + she might get overshadowed)

8. Natalie Portman, Lucy in the Sky (FSL’s only actress contender + sounds like a baity role + but skeptical on the quality of the film and if it’ll even get a solid awards push)

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Saoirse is the only one I would consider a lock for a nomination at this point. The trend over these past few awards seasons is that the success of the film in terms of nomination count is an increasingly important factor in even getting a nomination as opposed to the narrative of the individual performer, and Little Women seems competitive for quite a few categories right off the bat. That’s not to say that Zellweger couldn’t pick up steam without Judy being BP nominated, but I don’t feel confident in predicting her, Erivo, or Portman because their films have higher chances of being non-factors as opposed to Little Women. The only other strong contender for me is ScarJo because Marriage Story sounds baity af, but, for now:

1. Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
    2. Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    3. Charlize Theron, Untitled Jay Roach Project
    4. Meryl Streep, The Laundromat
    5. Awkwafina, The Farewell

Alt: Portman, Erivo, Zellweger

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Ronan is a lock in the slightest. Little Women might turn out to be Sony’s third priority behind Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood – the latter is playing at TIFF and could easily win the audience award which would really bode well for its awards chances. Little Women should make money but so should A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood given how well the trailer played to the general public. My point is I don’t see Sony being able to get 3 films in Best Picture and Ronan has yet to be nominated for a film that wasn’t nominated for Best Picture. She’ll get great reviews, but she could easily miss. I think it’s a mistake on Sony’s part by not taking this to any of the fall festivals.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ronan is a very serious contender and I feel that Little Women is definitely Sony’s main push except for Hollywood.  ABDITN doesn’t look like anything special and looks to be this year’s biopic Oscar bait that gets an acting nom and a screenplay nom, but nothing else, if even that.

Also, 1917 isn’t going to any festivals and everyone seems to think that’s a lock. Don’t know why Little Women wouldn’t be the same.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Icecreamben.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Icecreamben.
    ReplyCopy URL
    galaxy98
    Participant
    Topics:

No one talks about Valerie Pachner in A Hidden Life. Looks great in the trailer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ronan is a very serious contender and I feel that Little Women is definitely Sony’s main push except for Hollywood. ABDITN doesn’t look like anything special and looks to be this year’s biopic Oscar bait that gets an acting nom and a screenplay nom, but nothing else, if even that. Also, 1917 isn’t going to any festivals and everyone seems to think that’s a lock. Don’t know why Little Women wouldn’t be the same.

Did you miss the reaction ABDITN’s trailer got? It was everyone on social media. It should make loads of money at the box office which could easily propel it to a BP nom. Also, 1917 has so much prestige behind it, almost everyone involved (from cinematographer, costume designer, composer, etc.) are Oscar winners/nominees. That’s why it has a bigger shot to break out, imo, than the millionth remake of Little Women (which doesn’t seem like it’s doing anything different based on that trailer). Also Sony pushing ABDITN to fall fests should be telling.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 204 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.