Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Best Visual Effects

Oscars 2020: Best Visual Effects

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
babypook
LLLhawks
andrew_giordano
  • Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Somebody please explain what 1917 is doing here. I love the movie, but what in the hell? Is it the plane crash? Is it the rat?

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Somebody please explain what 1917 is doing here. I love the movie, but what in the hell? Is it the plane crash? Is it the rat?

The team behind the recently released WWI drama 1917 then provided a look at their work to join takes together as it was meticulously filmed to appear as one continuous shot. They showed making-of clips that included background replacement and a couple fully CG moments.

It was the one shot. Same reason it got makeup nod too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

So happy with the fact that Alita with that ugly VFX didn’t get nominated!

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

With The Irishman having the most nominations it probably wins, as we’ve seen countless times in past ceremonies. Visual effects winners often have one unifying “concept” to its effects (Ava in Ex Machina, Richard Parker in Life of Pi, pioneering early special effects works of Georges Méliès in Hugo, reverse aging effects in Benjamin Button, King Kong in, well, King Kong, the computer-generated Colosseum in Gladiator, an oil-painted Paradise in What Dreams May Come, moving mouthparts on animals in Babe, and Tom Hanks inserted into historical footage in Forrest Gump. You get the picture. The Irishman has the much-discussed digital de-aging of major stars which, while criticised by some, have become a major narrative surrounding the film. 1917 has the same number of nominations but I suspect not enough voters will realise the extent of its visual effects for it to prevail.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

The Irishman being here has to be a joke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

The Irishman being here has to be a joke.

VFX doesn’t have to be CGI-aliens… just saying

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chevi
    Topics:

5/5 in this one.

I’m undecided between Avengers, The Irishman and 1917 for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I somehow got 5 for 5 in this category. Hoping for 1917 as part of a sweep for it that includes BP and Best Director!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

I got 5 for 5 as well. I’m predicting 1917 winning, à la First Man (understated Visual Effects that triumph over the blockbusters.)

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I just hope Lion King doesn’t win. Yes, the attention to detail is incredibly impressive, but by trying to make it look as realistic as possible, the whole thing just feels inexpressive and bland. Some things just don’t work in live action.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I got 5 for 5 as well. I’m predicting 1917 winning, à la First Man (understated Visual Effects that triumph over the blockbusters.)

I’m predicting Lion King since it is the MOST VFX, but 1917 would be such an inspired win. Just like Ex Machina so many years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

The Irishman shouldn’t win for best visual effects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

traditional practical effects + one take illusion + plane crash sequence + burning church sequence.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

traditional practical effects + one take illusion + plane crash sequence + burning church sequence.

Thank you for the clear answer. Let me just get a few things wrapped around my head.

Traditional practical effects are considered visual effects? I thought, by definition, VFX is computer generated stuff. And by traditional, are we talking about those pyrotechnic stuff they got lying around that explode on cue?

One take illusion. Isn’t that more of an editing accomplishment?

Thank you in advance for the education. I just wanna understand how this got in here.

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.