Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 486 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Seven
John Berchmans
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue your general Oscar discussion in Part 2.

8CHRIS5
    Blocked
    Topics:

The Laundromat looks like a bad tv show. Meryl Streep will get nominated of course like she usually does for anything.

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl will get in as long as it’s watchable, especially if it looks like she’s frauding into supporting?

brb stanning Adam Driver

jonny
    Participant
    Topics:

I think a woman is winning Best Director this year, probably either Marielle Heller or Greta Gerwig

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Who is Streep supporting in that trailer? Unless its mega ensemble, she seems lead to me. Laundromat looks like a lot of fun though, not sure how much of that will translate to oscar.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

So the Laundromat is a comedy?

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY
    Anyone still have doubts about The Joker being a comedy or drama?
    It is a crystal clear tragedy drama.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like it. Are there any real Globes contenders for Comedy Actress yet?

brb stanning Adam Driver

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I was expecting The Laundromat to be more of a dark comedy. While it still looks like a lot of fun with great performances, I’m taking it out of my predictions besides Streep and Oldman. Looks like a pretty typical Netflix comedy with a better cast. Streep has gotten in for messier movies though so I still think she’ll have enough to be nominated, is she officially going Supporting?

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Wouldn’t be shocked if this movies dies after Globes especially if the trailer is marketing this as from the director of the Informant instead of Soderbergh’s Academy award winning movies Traffic/Erin Brokovich.

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like it. Are there any real Globes contenders for Comedy Actress yet?

Only Awkwafina, I think. Possibly Theron or Ronan if their films go comedy? Zellweger is going drama for sure just like Malek.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Only Awkwafina. Or Theron possibly? Zellweger is going drama for sure just like Malek.

Tbh even though it would be category fraud, Zellweger might be better off in Musical/Comedy as opposed to Malek. I think they were worried that Bale would be undeniable and that he would beat Malek in M/C and they just happened to dislike ASIB enough to vote for him in Drama, but Zellweger would have an easier shot winning M/C depending on which category Theron is in.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m stanning Phoenix, but he isn’t happening.

Oh,it is
    Dont Worry

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Tbh even though it would be category fraud, Zellweger might be better off in Musical/Comedy as opposed to Malek. I think they were worried that Bale would be undeniable and that he would beat Malek in M/C and they just happened to dislike ASIB enough to vote for him in Drama, but Zellweger would have an easier shot winning M/C depending on which category Theron is in.

I’m quite sure they are not accepting biographies of musicians in Comedy anymore.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hoster1.
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m quite sure they are not accepting biographies of musicians in Comedy anymore.

Sorry, I’m stupid, I didn’t realize that it was actually a rule now as I thought that ASIB and Bohemian Rhapsody moved to Drama as strategic moves.

“In fact, the Globes have tightened up their rules since the days of Ray and Walk The Line, making it clear that unless performed music is integral to driving the story forward — as was the case in 2018 with The Greatest Showman — the film cannot be entered as a musical.”

I’ll predict her for a Drama nomination now, but from the trailer it looked like they’re including a lot of musical numbers from Wizard of Oz etc as well as her later performances in London, so maybe they can still push it in M/C if they include enough performances? Idk, it’s just unfortunate for Renée that they implemented that rule because she would arguably be a lock for the Globe if she was in M/C.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.