Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 478 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
JackO
Seven
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Oh,it is Dont Worry

I think Phoenix looks fantastic, but he still has more than a few obstacles in his way. He can overcome them, but it’s foolish to act like they’re not there. In fact, I’d say it’s foolish to call anyone in best actor a lock this year, as the category currently looks stacked.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY
    Anyone still have doubts about The Joker being a comedy or drama?
    It is a crystal clear tragedy drama.

lol there were people that thought this was a comedy?! lol Phoenix coming for everything not nailed down.

Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

Looks like it. Are there any real Globes contenders for Comedy Actress yet?

Awakafina for sure. Johanson if marriage story goes comedy (Its a dramady. I could see netflix pushing into comedy especially the irishman going drama. Irishman is gonna be netflix’s main push, they would rather have marriage story compete againest the laundromat than the irishman). Emilia clarke for last christmas (No chance of winning but will be nominated for sure.)

Right now I have both theron and Zellweger in drama right now. Thats why I dont have it in comedy.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

The art direction on the Joker looks impeccable, especially the cinematography

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

Phoenix to be this year’s Gaga, in terms of stans that just can’t face the music. The movie will face genre bias on top of just being bad, and he won’t campaign. Stop before you embarrass yourselves.

Profile picture
    jonny
    Topics:

Phoenix deserves an Oscar but there is no hope of it happening this year

Profile picture
    bellajoe
    Topics:

At least Phoenix is a literal actor and will give a stunning performance, so stanning him will definitely not be worse than all the delusionals last year who thought Gaga gave an Oscar winning level performance lmao

To be fair, it’s not like Glenn in “The Wife” gave an Oscar caliber performance, and she was the favorite for all the “enlightened” stans. Turns out everyone was wrong. I’m personally super happy Coleman took it, but I had Glenn predicted like everyone else.

As stated before, by Seven, Joker looks very pretty. I get it is an origin story, but I feel like there hasn’t been enough of his performance as the villain Joker in the footage we have seen so far. Right now, 90% of the footage has been crazy bullied man, and not enough of the stuff that makes the Joker super iconic. And if the movie turns out like that, I do not believe Joaquin will get nominated. He needs to be out there, be eerily over the top, to match or top the past performances of the character, (Ledger’s performance was just so different from anything ever seen before, thus he overcame genre bias) but the origin-story aspects seem to hinder Phoenix’s chances of… being iconic for lack of better words.

As for the Laundromat, I admit it looks a lot more fun than I anticipated. I thought it would be pure bait, almost a chore to sit through, but it genuinely looks like a fun time; however, that is actually a hindrance in its Oscar chances. I’ve said before I only had Streep and Oldman, but now I’m removing Oldman.

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

My honeys. Stop before you even start. Phoenix is not happening. Joker will also flop so that won’t help. Best actor is Adam Driver vs Jonathan Pryce.

Jonathan Pryce
    Yeah,Right

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

You guys are all sleeping on Joker. I don’t think it will be a huge contender, but I’m sure it will be really good at least, and Joachin Phoenix will be nominated for sure. Everyone who’s seen it has called him Oscar worthy. It could get some below the line noms as well, like Costume Design and Makeup and Hairstyling.

Best actor is Adam Driver vs Jonathan Pryce.

Netflix isn’t getting 3 people into Actor. DeNiro and Driver are locks unless their films flop hard (plus Driver has a backup).

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

He’s a more realistic prediction than Phoenix. Phoenix won’t be able to overcome genre bias and his movie will flop critically, while Pryce gives a Helen Mirren in The Queen type of performance. He’s overdue and with the right campaign he could win. Only Driver is an alternative. Your precious Leo is not winning.

First of all,what tells you Joker is going to fail critically?Its is 118 min long,means nicely edited movie which critics nowadays rave.If you have seen both trailers,you would know it seems as Scorsese-Esque picture and I guess he even is executive producer.Joker is not your typical superhero movie (DCEU or MCU),its a character study of a comic book character just like a movie made out of a novel.I don’t think if it wasn’t good,they wouldn’t have gone for 2 huge film festivals.Now,Jonathan Pryce is great actor but he ain’t a film legend like Helen Mirren,he isn’t even ever nominated.Just because he looks like real Pope,he is gonna win?Then this movie The 2 Popes will bomb on box office unlike The Joker.Lead Actor is between Driver-Joaquin-Banderas.
    Now,my precious Leo has his much deserving acting Oscar and he will get his 7th nomination and my precious Joaquin will win his 1st.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Sorry, I’m stupid, I didn’t realize that it was actually a rule now as I thought that ASIB and Bohemian Rhapsody moved to Drama as strategic moves. “In fact, the Globes have tightened up their rules since the days of Ray and Walk The Line, making it clear that unless performed music is integral to driving the story forward — as was the case in 2018 with The Greatest Showman — the film cannot be entered as a musical.” I’ll predict her for a Drama nomination now, but from the trailer it looked like they’re including a lot of musical numbers from Wizard of Oz etc as well as her later performances in London, so maybe they can still push it in M/C if they include enough performances? Idk, it’s just unfortunate for Renée that they implemented that rule because she would arguably be a lock for the Globe if she was in M/C.

It’s just going to be weird if Judy is drama but Rocketman is musical/comedy in the same year…

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Honey, I’ll just let you witness it on your own. I warned you however..
    By the way Bradley Cooper is producing it, not Scorsese. Lol.

I said,I guess Scorese is an executive producer.You will see within 2-3 days when it premieres at VFF to rave reviews.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/news/film/the-joker-origin-movie-plot-details-report-todd-phillips-martin-scorsese-joaquin-phoenix-stand-up-comedian-comic-2258996/amp

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

It’s just going to be weird if Judy is drama but Rocketman is musical/comedy in the same year…

Rocketman belongs in musical/comedy because it’s a jukebox musical.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Johnathan Pryce is not happening. Netflix has too many ponies and is not dumb enough to campaign for all of them at each others’ exclusion. Driver, De Niro, and even Murphy are going to be prioritized over Pryce.

Plus, Two Popes sounds like a boring ass film about old white guys. I don’t see them going for it even if the movie does well critically. I think no one is really going to want to see this.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.