Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 486 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Seven
John Berchmans
  • vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Thoughts on the Just Mercy trailer? I moved the film up to my number 10 and Jamie Foxx into number 5 on supporting actor. I’m still wary. I don’t know what it is with these cheesy melodrama-esque films, but I’m predicting them all to miss at my own peril. I have Just Mercy, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and The Goldfinch all outside of my 9.

I’ve been preditcing Jordan and Foxx for awhile. Just have a really good feeling

gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Thoughts on the Just Mercy trailer? I moved the film up to my number 10 and Jamie Foxx into number 5 on supporting actor. I’m still wary. I don’t know what it is with these cheesy melodrama-esque films, but I’m predicting them all to miss at my own peril. I have Just Mercy, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and The Goldfinch all outside of my 9.

Tough to say off the trailer, I think it looks baity and fairly melodramatic but that’s probably a lot to do with the music and editing. I don’t see it being a major player when it comes to winning anything, but I can see voters liking it enough for it to get a couple of noms, incl. Picture, Actor, Supp. Actor.

Personally I didn’t like the trailer too much, it felt sort of flat and formulaic although the subject matter and real story are both very interesting. I’m still looking forward to it and I’m hoping it comes out of TIFF looking strong.

Kevin Dillon
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all need to add Waves and the cast to the Predictions center!

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

As stated before, we can’t add until the studio lets us know how they are categorizing the leads and supportings.

Kevin Dillon
    Participant
    Topics:

But you can add the film to Best Picture, and the Director.

You also have Bale in Lead and Supporting so that does not make much sense.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still reluctant to predict Just Mercy for anything based off of the trailer. I feel like formulaic, melodramatic awards bait movies are sort of dated now and it’ll be really hard for Jordan to break into Best Actor even with a great performance, but here’s to hoping it turns out to be a different type of film.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still reluctant to predict Just Mercy for anything based off of the trailer. I feel like formulaic, melodramatic awards bait movies are sort of dated now and it’ll be really hard for Jordan to break into Best Actor even with a great performance, but here’s to hoping it turns out to be a different type of film.

Green Book and BoRhap say hi.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dorsey.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dorsey.

brb stanning Adam Driver

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Green Book and BoRhap say hi.

BoRhap, albeit cliched, was a huge box office success and was tied to a well-known pop culture figure and Green Book was a light-hearted dramedy even if it was slightly melodramatic. The plot and tone of Just Mercy is pretty different from both of these films even if there are slight similarities, and it recalls dated courtroom dramas that might have done better in the 80’s and 90’s, but are again, dated.

If Just Mercy brings in huge box office and audience response and/or wins People’s Choice or at the very least breaks out at TIFF, then those comparisons will be more valid. But it comes off more to me as a Best of Enemies/Conviction type of Oscar bait vehicle.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dennis El Mar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dennis El Mar.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

As stated before, we can’t add until the studio lets us know how they are categorizing the leads and supportings.

While you’re at it, add Thomasin McKensie to the Supporting Actress predictions. I want to get Scarlett out of my predictions now, and McKensie looks better anyway.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

No, we are not entering Waves until the studio gives us all of the info.

Damon, Bale and Pitt are listed in both lead and supporting for now, as requested by those studios.

McKenzie is where the studio has asked us to place her.

Do you see the pattern here? We don’t do anything without the studios and their campaigners authorizing. The entire awards season is geared around their requests and how they are campaigning.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting how for the second year in a row, it seems like Adam Driver will be the youngest male acting nominee.

Lupita Nyong'o will win the Best Actress Oscar for "Us."

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

ehh Supporting actress looked weak enough to get duo supporting actress noms for Jojo, but Mckenzie getting a lead nomination would help her career way more than a supporting one (and keep Scarjo’s team happy I guess) hope it works out for them both.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Damon, Bale and Pitt are listed in both lead and supporting for now, as requested by those studios.

Interesting that Pitt in supporting isnt official yet. They gonna throw Leo under the bus?

Kevin Dillon
    Participant
    Topics:

No, we are not entering Waves until the studio gives us all of the info.

McKenzie is where the studio has asked us to place her.

Do you see the pattern here? We don’t do anything without the studios and their campaigners authorizing. The entire awards season is geared around their requests and how they are campaigning.

I miss the old goldderby…..

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting that Pitt in supporting isnt official yet. They gonna throw Leo under the bus?

Leo would get nominated anyway. If they both go lead it’s Pitt who would most likely suffer.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.