Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 486 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Seven
John Berchmans
  • 8CHRIS5
    Blocked
    Topics:

At least Phoenix is a literal actor and will give a stunning performance, so stanning him will definitely not be worse than all the delusionals last year who thought Gaga gave an Oscar winning level performance lmao

TEA.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

As stated before, by Seven, Joker looks very pretty. I get it is an origin story, but I feel like there hasn’t been enough of his performance as the villain Joker in the footage we have seen so far. Right now, 90% of the footage has been crazy bullied man, and not enough of the stuff that makes the Joker super iconic. And if the movie turns out like that, I do not believe Joaquin will get nominated. He needs to be out there, be eerily over the top, to match or top the past performances of the character, (Ledger’s performance was just so different from anything ever seen before, thus he overcame genre bias) but the origin-story aspects seem to hinder Phoenix’s chances of… being iconic for lack of better words.

What could help Phoenix is that he based his characterisation on a rare neurological ailment, Pathological Laughter and Crying (PLC), which causes sudden uncontrollable spells of – well, the name is self-explanatory – that are seemingly not a result of conventional triggers. As the outbursts can seem like a contradictory and highly inappropriate reaction to surroundings, the sufferer’s relationships can be severely affected. This sort of stuff would be classic Oscar bait in a straightforward drama, and could even be so in a comic book origin story if handled well.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

First of all,what tells you Joker is going to fail critically?Its is 118 min long,means nicely edited movie which critics nowadays rave.If you have seen both trailers,you would know it seems as Scorsese-Esque picture and I guess he even is executive producer.Joker is not your typical superhero movie (DCEU or MCU),its a character study of a comic book character just like a movie made out of a novel.I don’t think if it wasn’t good,they wouldn’t have gone for 2 huge film festivals.Now,Jonathan Pryce is great actor but he ain’t a film legend like Helen Mirren,he isn’t even ever nominated.Just because he looks like real Pope,he is gonna win?Then this movie The 2 Popes will bomb on box office unlike The Joker.Lead Actor is between Driver-Joaquin-Banderas.
    Now,my precious Leo has his much deserving acting Oscar and he will get his 7th nomination and my precious Joaquin will win his 1st.

From the leaked script I’ve read, you might want to slow your roll on Joker. If Joaquin gets an Actor nomination, that is a testament to how he can elevate bad material.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

First of all,what tells you Joker is going to fail critically?Its is 118 min long,means nicely edited movie which critics nowadays rave.If you have seen both trailers,you would know it seems as Scorsese-Esque picture and I guess he even is executive producer.Joker is not your typical superhero movie (DCEU or MCU),its a character study of a comic book character just like a movie made out of a novel.I don’t think if it wasn’t good,they wouldn’t have gone for 2 huge film festivals.Now,Jonathan Pryce is great actor but he ain’t a film legend like Helen Mirren,he isn’t even ever nominated.Just because he looks like real Pope,he is gonna win?Then this movie The 2 Popes will bomb on box office unlike The Joker.Lead Actor is between Driver-Joaquin-Banderas.
    Now,my precious Leo has his much deserving acting Oscar and he will get his 7th nomination and my precious Joaquin will win his 1st.

To answer your initial question: the subject matter, director, genre, and screenplay.

If you’re gonna do this all season, consider paragraph breaks.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Dorsey.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Dorsey.

brb stanning Adam Driver

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Another thing – a film being Scorcese-esque isn’t going to be helpful to Oscar chances given this year has an actual Scorcese film in contention.

For Your Consideration:

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I said,I guess Scorese is an executive producer.You will see within 2-3 days when it premieres at VFF to rave reviews.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/news/film/the-joker-origin-movie-plot-details-report-todd-phillips-martin-scorsese-joaquin-phoenix-stand-up-comedian-comic-2258996/amp

I know. It’s hilarious seeing folks doubting Joker. You think Venice would have had it if it was just another basic comic book movie?! You think Phoenix would be accepting tributes for it if it was just a basic comic book movie?! This aint Endgame. This is Oscar player. Get on board before it is too late.

thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

My honeys. Stop before you even start. Phoenix is not happening. Joker will also flop so that won’t help. Best actor is Adam Driver vs Jonathan Pryce.

LMAO how can anyone think JOKER will flop?? It will easily reach 700 000 000 WW

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker is a BP contender and Phoenix looks great in it. The only problem for him to overcome is genre bias and the fact that Heath Ledger already won for that role.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I can maybe believe in a scenario where Joaquin gets the Best Actor nom but Joker does not get a Best Picture nom. Though this is a very competitive Best Actor year so that says a lot.

For Your Consideration:

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I know. It’s hilarious seeing folks doubting Joker. You think Venice would have had it if it was just another basic comic book movie?! You think Phoenix would be accepting tributes for it if it was just a basic comic book movie?! This aint Endgame. This is Oscar player. Get on board before it is too late.

Thank You
    and Exactly

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

doctorstark97
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t underestimate Octavia Spencer for “Luce”. She could pull a Marina de Tavira this season. She’s a beloved name and her name should be in the prediction center. It’s a disgrace not being able to predict her for her powerhouse performance.

doctorstark97
    Participant
    Topics:

de Tavira got nominated because Roma was one of the most watched films among Academy members, here the acting branch. Luce could easily be a flop that the Academy won’t care about. But that’s how it goes: sadly there are always great performances overlooked due to their films’ lack of visibility. But it’s too early to count her out just yet. She might get in in a couple precursors and maintain buzz but she could easily be another Nicole Kidman (Paperboy), Jessica Chastain (Violent Year) etc

Right, Cuaron and Netflix campaigned hard both for Aparicio and De Davira, when the supporting actress category wasn’t a weak one. Robbie or Kidman could have easily sneaked in the fifth place, instead of her.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t underestimate Octavia Spencer for “Luce”. She could pull a Marina de Tavira this season. She’s a beloved name and her name should be in the prediction center. It’s a disgrace not being able to predict her for her powerhouse performance.

Spencer was great in Luce, but unfortunately that movie is not going anywhere.

My personal Top 5 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) Joker 5) Jojo Rabbit

MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

Any idea when we can start predicting the technical categories?

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Rave reviews for Marriage Story. My man is coming. Love to see it

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Seven.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Part 2 (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.