Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 486 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Victor Cruz
Seven
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Penelope Cruz is moving over to supporting for “Pain and Glory.”

Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

Penelope Cruz is moving over to supporting for “Pain and Glory.”

I think it’s a good move. Maybe she can return to the Oscar spotlight 10 years after her last nomination and she’s always the best when she can speak Spanish.

Profile picture
    WildforFilm
    Topics:

I’m starting to wonder if this could be Adam Driver’s year. If Marriage Story ends up being a contender and his arc in Star Wars is done well, his hype will be high right around the time of voting for the Globes, right? We all know the Oscars are now just sheep to the Globes, so it could work out well for him.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I very much see Adam Driver winning Best Actor. He should just hope that everybody forgets about The Report , which he got rave reviews for. If Marriage Story takes off, then The Report can only help his case. But if both are in the running he could cancel himself out.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I really like Awkwafina but I do not understand at all why anyone thinks she will get an Oscar nomination for The Farewell? I liked the movie but the only one who has a shot at a nomination is the grandmother for Best Supporting Actress. Awkwafina gives a solid good performance but it’s not an Oscar-worthy one (imo). The Farewell will likely do well with the Indie Spirits though. I always wait to hear more about the potential nominees and only have “holding nominees” in my predictions – hunches and educated guesses but knowing that it will change over the next 4 months.

Her performance is subtle rather unworthy or just decent. Throughout the entire movie she carries the grief of knowing she is saying goodbye and the pressure of keeping the secret in her face and movements. It’s not flashy at all, but the performance is without a doubt there, and is likely to get a critics push. Nonetheless, the subtle nature of the performance is an obstacle for the flashy-minded Oscar voters, but her narrative as both a breakout star and the face of representation as well as the film’s breakout success make her still seem like a really plausible candidate.

Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

I understand Freeman’s reservations; the role may be subtle, but Awkwafina’s handling of it is messy. No doubt she’ll be mildly-to-solidly successful this season.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

How many performances where people say that they do “nothing” have to win before folks start learning that you dont have to throw plates to get nominated or even win?

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

You think Endgame is getting 13 nods while Infinity War only got a placeholder VFX nod. Sir.

💀

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Now I want Brad Pitt to win the damn award.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Wouldn’t be it so cute if Noah Baumbach won Original Screenplay and Greta Gerwig won Adapted Screenplay?

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I think Best Actress is a done deal with Renée finally winning the Oscar that Nicole Kidman “stole” right out of her hands almost 20 years ago. Of course Nicole should of won for Moulin Rouge! the previous year but yeah we wouldn’t be having a black actress still winning Best Actress to this day if that had happened.

Zellweger already has an Oscar. People won’t rally behind her just because she lost leading actress nearly twice decades ago.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^Why not Emma Thompson then? Regardless of box office she’s wonderful and they will watch her performance if she’s nominated. I haven’t seen the others yet so this is premature but I don’t think she can be counted out, regardless of how much money the film made at the box office. I really want her to at least get a nomination!

Profile picture
    Damiansport1
    Topics:

How do you know which films are going to Telluride? Or are you just making a guess?

I know things people don’t know i know.

But seriously, you can get this info from TIFF site and Venice schedule. For example if next to film title at TIFF official site says WORLD PREMIERE – it means no Telluride since Telluride is before TIFF. But if it says CANADIAN PREMIERE (like it does next to Baumbach, Ford v Ferrari, Aeronauts etc) it means its going to Telluride.

Telluride will announce it lineup day before festival starts – August 29th but based on the TIFF and Venice info we can safely assume these are going there:

“Marriage Story”- Noah Baumbach
    “The Aeronauts” – Tom Harper
    “Ford v Ferrari” – James Mangold
    “Dark Waters” – Todd Haynes
    “Ad Astra” – James Gray
    “Motherless Brooklyn” – Edward Norton
    “Uncut Gems” – The Safdie Brothers
    “The Two Popes” – Fernando Meirelles
    “Judy” – Rupert Goold
    “First Cow” – Kelly Richardt
    “The Report” – Scott Burns
    “Waves” – Trey Edward Shults
    “The Climb” – Michael Angelo Covino
    “Verdict” – Raymund Ribay Gutierrez
    “Beanpole” – Kantemir Balagov
    “A Hidden Life” – Terrence Malick
    “Parasite” – Bong Joon-ho
    “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” – Celine Sciamma
    “Pain and Glory” – Pedro Almodovar
    “Varda by Agnès” – Agnes Varda

Thats about 3/4 of the lineup. Im surprised Jojo Rabbit is skipping both Telluride and Venice but still i expect it to win Toronto audience award and then Best Picture at Oscars.

Profile picture
    Damiansport1
    Topics:

Thanks for changing the category placement of Hanks, Rhys and Cruz (who really has only few flashback scenes in the new Almodovar). I know you won’t admit it but i believe my request had something to do it 🙂 I will believe that and continue pushing

Other category placement that need to be changed:

Meryl Streep – Supporting, not lead.
    Thomasin McKenzie – Supporting, not lead
    Nicole Kidman – Supporting, not lead

And the screenplays:

The Aeronauts – adapted, not original (btw takes this movie seriously people, its going to be big contender)
    Ford v Ferrari – adapted, not original

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

We now have official word that Matthew Rhys is lead and Tom Hanks is supporting. Look for those changes in the next hour or so. A reminder that as much as you request something, we don’t add or change anything without the studios or campaigners telling us to do so.

Thank goodness! The supporting actor category is so weak this year, and lead actor is super strong! This frees up a spot on my best actor list for DeNiro.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.