Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 494 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Victor Cruz
Seven
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting Netflix to get 3 films to get into Best Picture (The Laundromat, Marriage Story and The Irishman). Is this realistic

I think Netflix bias is strong enough that only one of these 3 films will be nominated, and the Irishman is by far the most likely of the 3, since it’s a Scorcese film. It might be somewhat bold to predict Marriage Story getting snubbed, but I’m sure it will do well in the other above-the-line categories.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story is very safe in Best Picture. It’s the only film playing at all fall festivals like Roma last year. It’s bound to get great reviews (90+ metacritic). It should be at least this year’s Manchester by the Sea.

Ad Astra will be this year’s First Man sadly.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I would hope that Ad Astra doesn’t bomb as hard as First Man since Ryan Gosling is (for some reason) absolute box-office poison and cannot open a movie whereas Brad Pitt usually does fine.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if it underperformed either, tbh

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I would hope that Ad Astra doesn’t bomb as hard as First Man since Ryan Gosling is (for some reason) absolute box-office poison and cannot open a movie whereas Brad Pitt usually does fine.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if it underperformed either, tbh

Pitt isn’t a box office draw,he once was.OUTIH is his first box office hit since 2014 and DiCaprio and Tarantino are much bigger pull for that than he was.Although his stunning performance and cool Cliff Booth in OUTIH can re-ignite his power and Ad Astra can be atleast decent.It is looking like a good space movie.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

Marriage Story is very safe in Best Picture. It’s the only film playing at all fall festivals like Roma last year. It’s bound to get great reviews (90+ metacritic). It should be at least this year’s Manchester by the Sea. Ad Astra will be this year’s First Man sadly.

</p>
    Don’t be too sure. A lot of powerful people, including Spielberg, want Netflix banned from Oscar contention entirely. Scorcese can withstand that backlash, but Baumbach can’t. Plus, he’s been snubbed before.

I agree about Ad Astra though, it will be just like First Man. A few technical noms and nothing else.

For Your Consideration.

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Lost my fuckin mind, gonna predict The Lighthouse in Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor, and Screenplay

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Hanks and Streep are now in Supporting, I think they can both win

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Omg Seven this year you’ll be 100% my bitch. Your comments are all so spot-on and it’s only August. Come thru, mama!!!

❤️

Hanks and Streep are now in Supporting, I think they can both win

There’s something so unrealistic with Hanks and Streep winning a 3rd and 4th Oscar in supporting, especially Streep. I know the lineup looks weak so far but will the industry really care about giving her the “lesser” award ? She’s THE leading woman. Strong enough to be upgraded into lead when she’s not (Devil Wears Prada) or to get the leading nom over her younger co-lead (AOC). Simply strong enough to get 17 leading noms throughout her career.. idk that just sounds weird

Unless she really knocks it out of the park as a supporting act like she just did on Big Little Lies

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Seven.
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Updated Predictions

Best Picture:

• A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
    • The Farewell
    • The Goldfinch
    • The Irishman
    • The Laundromat
    • Little Women
    • Marriage Story
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Actress:

• Awkwafina- The Farewell
    • Nicole Kidman- The Goldfinch
    • Saoirse Ronan- Little Women
    • Emma Thompson- Late Night
    • Renee Zellweger- Judy

Best Actor:

• Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory
    • Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Adam Driver- Marriage Story
    • Taron Edgerton- Rocketman
    • Joaquin Phoenix- Joker

Best Supporting Actress:

• Annette Bening- The Report
    • Laura Dern- Marriage Story
    • Florence Pugh- Little Women
    • Maggie Smith- Downton Abbey
    • Meryl Streep- The Laundromat

Bet Supporting Actor:

• Timothee Chalamet- Little Women
    • Willem Dafoe- The Lighthouse
    • Tom Hanks- A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood
    • Gary Oldman- The Laundromat
    • Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe that The Farewell is overestimated. I don’t expect it to get Oscar nominations but its best chance is at Original Screenplay. Usually there is one spot up in the air so it could get in a la The Big Sick, First Reformed etc.

People will start to drop it as award season heats up. Its so high on all the predictions because it’s one of the only contenders we have seen so far. Once the bait movies begin to drop, during more awards-competitive months, the farewell will slip into oblivion. It is really unfortunate too, because it’s such a great film, (Picture, Screenplay, Actress and Supp Actress would be nominated in my perfect world) but A24 + July release doesn’t sound too good.

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

People will start to drop it as award season heats up. Its so high on all the predictions because it’s one of the only contenders we have seen so far. Once the bait movies begin to drop, during more awards-competitive months, the farewell will slip into oblivion. It is really unfortunate too, because it’s such a great film, (Picture, Screenplay, Actress and Supp Actress would be nominated in my perfect world) but A24 + July release doesn’t sound too good.

It’s actually opposite. People will start to take Farewell more seriously when many of the oscar baits flop. it always like that with early releases. they are underestimated until expected to be big players flop in fall and people come back to the best releases from first half of the year

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

As of August 18, 2019, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has grossed $114.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $66.2 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $180.5 million.
    And so DiCaprio-Tarantino continues to smash box office.This was its’s first weekend opening outside US.I can see movie doing 500 million worldwide now.It has already doubled it’s $90 million investment.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

As of August 18, 2019, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has grossed $114.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $66.2 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $180.5 million. And so DiCaprio-Tarantino continues to smash box office.This was its’s first weekend opening outside US.I can see movie doing 500 million worldwide now.It has already doubled it’s $90 million investment.

I say around $400-420M. It looks like the movie will tap out at $140-150M in the US and Tarantino movies usually do 60-65% of their numbers outside of it (we love a global hitmaker).

It’s a success, as expected. And since Inglorious (another summer release) made it to the Oscars, I don’t see why this wouldn’t. It’s also his highest rated movie since… Pulp Fiction. Whew.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Fully agree but Screenplay could very well remain a possibility, especially if it gets WGA support. I have it rn in my predictions, only there. Along with OUAT, The Report, Marriage Story and Booksmart. No other contender really appeals to me right now.

Don’t sleep on Parasite in Original Screenplay: it looks like the type of bold, original story that the academy loves to nominate. Only obstacle is it being a foreign language film, but that didn’t stop Roma.

For Your Consideration.

Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

^^What makes you think that this particular film will get nominated outside of Best International Film category (where South Korea has yet to be nominated)?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.