Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 494 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Victor Cruz
Seven
  • Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope both Greta and Marielle get in. I’m no Gerwig fan and not familiar with Heller’s work but I’m here for anything, I mean anything that makes ugly filmbros fume, idc

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

^^What makes you think that this particular film will get nominated outside of Best International Film category (where South Korea has yet to be nominated)?

Because Parasite is the best South Korean film I have ever seen, even better than Burning and last year Palme d’Or Shoplifters. If it is not for foreign language and thriller discrimination, it should get in best original screenplay without any question over these ^^^^^ supposedly favored screenplays.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

^^What makes you think that this particular film will get nominated outside of Best International Film category (where South Korea has yet to be nominated)?

True, but I’m pretty sure Mexico had never been nominated before Roma either. The academy has warmed up to foreign films, and even though I don’t see any of them getting Picture or Director nominations, I think they can get other above-the-line noms this year (Parasite for Screenplay, Pain and Glory for Actor).

jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Gerwig coming for her deserved 2nd nom for Director

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Little Women, based on the trailer, seems to be a nice step forward in terms of visual composition and cinematography for Greta Gerwig. I absolutely see a nomination for Director coming.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game-nominated-but-not-for-best-picture/

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/81st-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game/

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

True, but I’m pretty sure Mexico had never been nominated before Roma either.

For best foreign film? Mexico had been nominated 8 times prior to Roma.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

If I hear Gerwig only got nominated for being a woman one more time…

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope both Greta and Marielle get in. I’m no Gerwig fan and not familiar with Heller’s work but I’m here for anything, I mean anything that makes ugly filmbros fume, idc

Did you see Can You Ever Forgive Me? Marielle Heller directed it. I need to wait and see their films before deciding whether Gerwig and/or Heller deserve to be in the conversation.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve just taken The Farewell out of Best Picture and Actress. I have a big feeling it’s just gonna get a Single screenplay nomination.

I don’t see The Irishman getting any acting nominations.

Meryl will probably win her 4th for The Laundromat in Supporting.

FYC Emmys 2019
    Killing Eve- All Categories Nominated ‘Sandra Oh for the win’

Fleabag for Series, lead actress and Supporting Actress ‘Colman’

Amy Adams and Hugh Grant

FYC OSCARS 2020- ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Saoirse Ronan’ ‘Maggie Smith’ ‘Emma Thompson’ ‘Late Night’

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

For best foreign film? Mexico had been nominated 8 times prior to Roma.

No, for Best Original Screenplay.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Am I the only gay guy that smears Lady Bird to the fullest? And screw Greta Gerwig’s director nod and Emma Stone’s incredibly stupid remark at the Oscar too!

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Am I the only gay guy that smears Lady Bird to the fullest? And screw Greta Gerwig’s director nod and Emma Stone’s incredibly stupid remark at the Oscar too!

No you’re not. I’m a woman who didn’t like Lady Bird at all, isn’t impressed by Gerwig and hated Stone’s white feminist jab that completely disregarded Peele and Del Toro

Not liking Greta Gerwig isn’t sexist, just like not liking Moonlight isn’t racist/homophobic

This said you cannot deny that a considerable amount of hate she received that year for getting in over McDonagh and Spielberg was rooted in pure misogyny. There’s nothing wrong with not liking her work (I personally don’t see anything outstanding about her and would put at least 10 female directed movies over Lady Bird) but misogyny is alive and well. Yesterday I was just doing some research on sexist Marvel/Star Wars/GOT fans who absolutely hate every single female characters that they don’t deem fuckable, as well as insufferable filmbros who cannot stand to see female directors getting more recognition and constantly shit on movies with women at the center. I was referring to them when I said I wanted both Gerwig and Heller to get in. I just love watching these people being pissed

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Did you see Can You Ever Forgive Me? Marielle Heller directed it. I need to wait and see their films before deciding whether Gerwig and/or Heller deserve to be in the conversation.

Believe it or not but this movie came out two weeks ago in France. I will gladly watch it

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve just taken The Farewell out of Best Picture and Actress. I have a big feeling it’s just gonna get a Single screenplay nomination.

I think The Farewell’s best shot at an Oscar nomination is for Best Supporting Actress – I can never quite remember her name? Shao Sanzhen? She played the grandmother who they were all lying to about her prognosis. Maybe for Original Screenplay. But I don’t think it will get in for BP or Best Actress. (I found the movie uneven: brilliantly directed, written and acted scenes mixed with some very poorly directed, written and acted scenes – and poor character development with many of the supporting players too. But I did like and enjoy the movie enough to recommend it.)

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

No, for Best Original Screenplay.

Ah I see. Well in that case, Cuarón himself was previously nominated in that category for Y tu mamá también, losing to Pedro Almodóvar for Talk to Her, one of my favourite wins ever.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.