Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 494 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Victor Cruz
Seven
  • gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Predicted Winners

• Picture – Marriage Story
    • Director – Mendes, 1917
    • Actress – Ronan, Little Women
    • Actor – Banderas, Pain & Glory
    • Supp. Actress – Dern, Marriage Story
    • Supp. Actor – Pitt, OUATIH
    • Original Screenplay – Marriage Story
    • Adapted Screenplay – The Laundromat
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture- Marriage Story
    Best Director- Sam Mendes
    Best Actress- Scarlett Johansson
    Best Actor- Antonio Banderas
    Best Supporting Actress- Laura Dern
    Best Supporting Actor- Tom Hanks
    Best Adapted Screenplay- A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood
    Best Original Screenplay- Marriage Story

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

If he’s as good as the hype is making him out to be, Joaquin Phoenix could make it in, but I feel like he’s being a bit overestimated. Yes, the Joker has won an Oscar before, but those were very different circumstances. Ledger’s death obviously factored in, but I personally believe he’d have won the award even if he didn’t die. His passing just served to completely solidify his status as a lock. Ledger’s performance was in the biggest film of the year, he was competing in the easier supporting category, and even if you combined all the other nominees’ notices, they still had nowhere near as much acclaim as he did (Ledger was so amazing he could’ve won leading actor that year, despite being a supporting performance). Meanwhile, leading actor looks very busy right now. I’m hearing more than a few people saying it could go to DiCaprio (I think he’s a lock for a nomination, but it’s probably too soon for him to win, especially for a comedic performance), Driver, or Banderas. Phoenix is also not exactly the most likable person in the world, and his attitude may hurt his chances, just like some people believe it did a few years ago for The Master. And of course, there’s the fact that this a comic book movie, which the academy usually doesn’t care for. It does have the advantage of being a very different kind of comic book movie, but will that be enough to overcome their usual bias? Keep in mind, I’m not trying to hate on Phoenix at all. I think he’s a phenomenal actor, and I’d be very happy to see him win (the Joker is one of my all time favorite characters, and probably my favorite villain). I just think he has a few things standing in his way. He could definitely overcome them, but don’t ignore that they’re there.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  thatnerdgreg.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  thatnerdgreg.
    OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Jojo Rabbit

Best Director: Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit

Best Actor: Adam Driver, Marriage Story

Best Actress: Renee Zellweger, Judy

Best Supp. Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Supp. Actress: Meryl Streep, The Laundromat

Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit

Best Original Screenplay: Marriage Story

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree in general people need to relax on Phoenix’s chances at winning for Joker. In the last 10 years, only 4 out of 20 best Actor/Actress winners came from performances in non best picture nominees. This bias is only stronger for male actors (1 out of 10 and that was for Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart).

All this to say, if you’re predicting Phoenix for the win, Joker better be in your line up. And as much as I’m sure we’re all hoping it gets in, my hunch is this is Nightcrawler or Gone Girl more than it is Black Swan.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, Joaquin is only win competitive if he gives a career-best performance and starts getting enough press referring to him as a modern-day Daniel Day Lewis. But even Lewis only won for BP nominees.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am truly puzzled as to why y’all think DiCaprio gives a comedic performance? It’s a dramatic performance with a small amount of comedic moments. I for one didn’t laugh. I also thought it was a fairly awful performance! Oh well!

I am adopting a “wait and see” attitude. Once we get to late November there will be enough information to make better predictions, and even then subject to change once nominations come out for various awards.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I am truly puzzled as to why y’all think DiCaprio gives a comedic performance? It’s a dramatic performance with a small amount of comedic moments. I for one didn’t laugh. I also thought it was a fairly awful performance! Oh well!

I am adopting a “wait and see” attitude. Once we get to late November there will be enough information to make better predictions, and even then subject to change once nominations come out for various awards.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and DiCaprio-Pitt performance are dark comedy.It’s not your straight comic movie and performance.My friend said you need to have “dark sense of humor” to applaud this movie.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Can somebody explain to me the arguments for Marriage Story and 1917? I’m trying to find the case for them being Best Picture contenders, and I’m not seeing it.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game-nominated-but-not-for-best-picture/

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/81st-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game/

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Can somebody explain to me the arguments for Marriage Story and 1917? I’m trying to find the case for them being Best Picture contenders, and I’m not seeing it.

1917 : war drama, big ensemble male cast, directed by a Best Director winner, big distributor. I actually don’t see this winning Best Picture but it will probably pick up many noms

Marriage Story : not sure about this one but I guess Netflix will campaign hard. But I’ll wait for some Venice festival feedback cuz… I remember how some of these so-called BP contenders ended up crashing before fall even arrived last year

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Seven.
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, I thought Leonardo DiCaprio’s character and storyline were fairly lighthearted. At the very least by Tarantino standards. The only parts of the movie that I found dark were a few scenes in Brad Pitt’s storyline, and the brutal ending. Margot Robbie’s scenes were by far the most innocent moments Quentin Tarantino has ever put on screen.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, I thought Leonardo DiCaprio’s character and storyline were fairly lighthearted. At the very least by Tarantino standards. The only parts of the movie that I found dark were a few scenes in Brad Pitt’s storyline, and the brutal ending. Margot Robbie’s scenes were by far the most innocent moments Quentin Tarantino has ever put on screen.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t believe I’m saying this now, but OUATIH has just premiered in Vietnam and the audience reaction, including me, indicates that it is indeed Tarantino’s most INACCESSIBLE film. It’s just a Hollywood’s tale, and it’s extremely slow, no gore, no fight, no shock value like every other Tarantino’s films. Everything’s just … there. I throughly enjoyed it because it’s fun, the ending is satisfying and I at least know something about Hollywood, but the general audience just walked away half the film, and long-time Tarantino fans were confused because they expected something Tarantino-ish…

Anyway, I think this is a text-book example of an artsy/director’s vision kind of film that the Academy tends to favor and it will surely be nominated across the board. But as I said, this is the most inaccessable Tarantino film I have ever seen, so I won’t bet it winning anything outside the acting categories, at least not yet.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

OUATIH’s only chances for wins are Supporting Actor and Screenplay, the former being extremely likely. I can see Brad Pitt as a critics fave and the industry finally rewarding him.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I dont see either winning. But for Marriage Story – it seems like a Manchester By the Sea wannabe. Will have a ton of actor support. But it seems so super serious that it will probably miss out on the rooting factor.

1917 is apparently a one take WW1 film so it has a chance to be the technical marvel of the year. Nolan didnt even get into the conversation with Dunkirk so good luck to Mendes.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.