Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 494 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Victor Cruz
Seven
  • Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Can this become Tarantino’s “Departed”?.Scorsese won Director in 2006 for not his best work,now not even his 21st Century best but a great movie though with a brilliant ensemble.Tarantino just like Scorsese have the narrative if not as big as Scorsese.OUTIH is now a critical and commercial hit and still running strong.This is his second last film.OUTIH is the first time QT’s direction overshadowed his writing.He is not only one of the best but biggest Hollywood director working now.Can this be really his moment?Can he win Best Director?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m really laughing about how “Marriage Story” looks like it’s The Godfather in these forums. To be honest, it seems a very small movie and some of you are pretending it’s going to sweep the Oscars. The audacity… I have to laugh.

This is actually so true.

Btw,”Marriage Story” looks like this year’s “Beautiful Boy” ,which was also at top 10 on our prediction list last August, and it doesn’t look promising for being an Oscars Best Picture nominee.

Anyway, let’s wait and see.

My top list now:
    1.Irishmen
    3.Little Women
    4.Jojo Rabbit
    5.Once Upon A Time in HW
    6.The Goldfinch
    7.Harriet
    8.Joker

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story probably won’t get into Best Picture because Netflix isn’t releasing it in theaters, at least from what I’ve heard. They’re just releasing it in festivals, and then on their platform. The whole reason so many people in the academy hate Netflix right now is because they are a danger to theatrical film, so without even a limited release, it will almost certainly be snubbed.

As far as Jojo Rabbit goes, I’m less worried about it being received poorly by critics and audiences and more worried that Disney won’t put their full strength behind a campaign, since many of their executives reportedly don’t like the film. It’s likely that they might want to focus on other, more crowd pleasing contenders like Ford v Ferrari and Avengers Endgame.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Does that mean Marriage Story won’t be eligible?

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Can this become Tarantino’s “Departed”?.Scorsese won Director in 2006 for not his best work,now not even his 21st Century best but a great movie though with a brilliant ensemble.Tarantino just like Scorsese have the narrative if not as big as Scorsese.OUTIH is now a critical and commercial hit and still running strong.This is his second last film.OUTIH is the first time QT’s direction overshadowed his writing.He is not only one of the best but biggest Hollywood director working now.Can this be really his moment?Can he win Best Director?

Tarantino has two oscars, Scorsese was Oscarless almost thirty years after his first nomination at the time of The Departed, he doesn’t have the narrative Scorsese did at all.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story probably won’t get into Best Picture because Netflix isn’t releasing it in theaters, at least from what I’ve heard. They’re just releasing it in festivals, and then on their platform. The whole reason so many people in the academy hate Netflix right now is because they are a danger to theatrical film, so without even a limited release, it will almost certainly be snubbed. As far as Jojo Rabbit goes, I’m less worried about it being received poorly by critics and audiences and more worried that Disney won’t put their full strength behind a campaign, since many of their executives reportedly don’t like the film. It’s likely that they might want to focus on other, more crowd pleasing contenders like Ford v Ferrari and Avengers Endgame.

Netflix would have to do a limited release at the very least for it to be eligible at the Oscars then. I just don’t see them only releasing in festivals and then immediately to stream, especially since there was already controversy last year with Roma’s limited release.

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

The teasers and Poster for marriage story literally says being release in select theaters…

FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

This is not me commenting on the quality, politics, or what have you of Marriage Story, but sincerely wondering at its prospective chances of winning BP:

what is its narrative beyond Baumbach being a high-profile indie writer-director? When was the last time something this seemingly intimate, white, and “apolitical,” with no gimmicks or angles, won Best Picture?

The King’s SpeechMillion Dollar Baby?

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/marriage-story-netflix-fall-release-date-plot-cast-trailer/amp/</p&gt;
    “The cinematic/theatrical release appears to be limited to film festivals”.

This could be wrong, but it’s the only source I’ve found that says anything about a theatrical release.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story is probably winning LAFCA and NYFC etc but I doubt it has any chance of winning Best Picture. And 2 acting awards (Scarjo, Laura Dern) I also highly doubt.

I only see it winning screenplay.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Yeah I don’t see this winning BP but a nom is likely.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/marriage-story-netflix-fall-release-date-plot-cast-trailer/amp/</p&gt; “The cinematic/theatrical release appears to be limited to film festivals”. This could be wrong, but it’s the only source I’ve found that says anything about a theatrical release.

They haven’t given a release date for The Irishman beyond NYFF either, so I don’t think them not announcing it yet means that they don’t plan on releasing it into theaters. The quote you gave is purely conjecture.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, seeing “Marriage Story” at top 5 on our prediction list really shocks me.

“Marriage Story” will be another “Beautiful Boy”.I bet…

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yeah, seeing “Marriage Story” at top 5 on our prediction list really shocks me. “Marriage Story” will be another “Beautiful Boy”.

This is a strange comparison. “Marriage Story” is helmed by a well-respected writer/director, who has a great body of work. The story he’s telling is seemingly universal, and the movie supposedly has a great balance between drama and levity, which Beautiful Boy did not have at all (understandably so). BB suffered from being a structural mess, and probably being too tough a sit, which I don’t think Marriage Story will be. Plus, the two leads (Johansson & Driver) are probably shoo-ins for Best Actor & Actress, if they’re as good as the trailers make them out to be, as well as Laura Dern, who plays a lawyer and could finally win that overdue Oscar. It’s already screened for some people and the feedback has been exclusively positive. But we’ll know more on August 29.

As of now, I have it nabbing a bunch of nods, because to me it seems to be the domestic movie the industry will go head over heels for. I think it could give both Driver & Dern Oscars.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, seeing “Marriage Story” at top 5 on our prediction list really shocks me.

“Marriage Story” will be another “Beautiful Boy”.

This comment is probably why i rarely visit gold derby nowadays. How ignorant person can be. My godness. What a mess

Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

This comment is probably why i rarely visit gold derby nowadays. How ignorant person can be. My godness. What a mess

Sir, you’re the ignorant/arrogant one. I know you’re fan of “Marriage Story” (&”Jojo Rabbit”) but….

Have you watched the film yet?
    Do you know how this film will end up in the award season now?
    You know nothing but a trailer, just like everybody else.

So why can’t I compare it to another film which was also highly anticipated but ended up getting nothing after its release? I’m talking about the awards & noms, obviously not the subject of the films. It’s not even September, relax.

ugh

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.