Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 486 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
PJ Edwards
Victor Cruz
Seven
  • Profile picture
    Pulp
    Topics:

It’s getting both Sound categories

let’s not get ahead of ourselves. That’s being very optimistic.

#FreeTheBannedFour

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I’ve made my case for Endgame getting a Picture nomination before, so here’s the cliff notes version.

Every single highest grossing film of all time WORLDWIDE since the Oscar’s started has earned a Best Picture nomination except for one.

That film was Jurassic Park, which was likely blocked by Spielberg’s own Picture-winning Schindler’s List, which was released in that same year.

Endgame received near-universal acclaim from critics and fans. It’s the second highest rated MCU film on Rotten Tomatoes, behind Black Panther.

It made a cultural impact in America that was at least on par with, and probably bigger than, Black Panther, even without the political angle.

It’s the culmination of a beloved film franchise, and the academy loves those. (Remember Godfather Part 3 and Return of the King)

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    bellajoe
    Topics:

Yes, I’ve said before I think it will be nominated, but the Stans are definitely getting ahead of themselves right now if they think it will get performance, screenplay, or directing nods. Whoever mentioned TFA, that’s a false equivalency.

Anyway, there’s a high probability endgame may happen, it also may not. Let’s not jump to definitive conclusions, but let’s definitely move to other discussion.

The King trailer

It looks nice, but Netflix will not be able to campaign this, Marriage Story, and the Irishman. They may not even be able to campaign 2, and those 2 would be the latter. Maybe this has a shot in costume or something? It definitely has a TV movie feel though.

Profile picture
    kellis
    Topics:

Edgerton is the the king of failed Oscar bait lol.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Endgame is nowhere near acting nominations, if Black Panther couldn’t get Screenplay than this won’t. It’s getting both Sound categories, Visual Effects and that’s probably it

Probably also a contender in score since last year’s Infinity War made it to the top 15 shortlist.

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Black Panther hired one of the top Oscar campaigners last year, outside of the Disney marketing and publicity team. That’s not the case with Endgame.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

The King

Official Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/yMJnsTx-TBg

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’m confused by folks saying Endgame had a big cultural impact much less one on par with Black Panther. Where is the Wakanda Forever from Endgame? Endgame was nothing more than fan service film. Endgame’s “cultural impact” ended as soon as Spiderman came out.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

domestically it was and still is

Welp

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I will go in full Timothee stanning mode (in the forums). I apologize in advance.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

NEWSFLASH

Netflix Forgoes Wide Release for Martin Scorsese’s ‘The Irishman’:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-forgoes-wide-release-martin-scorseses-irishman-1234382

(According to THR it will open Nov. 1 in select indie cinemas.)

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Every single highest grossing film of all time WORLDWIDE since the Oscar’s started has earned a Best Picture nomination except for one.

That film was Jurassic Park, which was likely blocked by Spielberg’s own Picture-winning Schindler’s List, which was released in that same year.

Realistically, with Schindler’s List out of the picture the fifth Best Picture nominee would’ve been Philadelphia not Jurassic Park, though of course we can’t prove that.

Endgame received near-universal acclaim from critics and fans. It’s the second highest rated MCU film on Rotten Tomatoes, behind Black Panther.

The more measured Metacritic rates it 78, perfectly respectable but hardly “near-universal acclaim”. Compare that to Black Panther‘s 88.

It’s the culmination of a beloved film franchise, and the academy loves those. (Remember Godfather Part 3 and Return of the King)

But the two previous installments of both those trilogies were also nominated for Best Picture, and in the former case both won. It helps that they were seen as far more adult and literate than a comic-book franchise. The only nomination any Avengers film has received so far is Best Visual Effects.

Profile picture
    Scorsesefan
    Topics:

But the two previous installments of both those trilogies were also nominated for Best Picture, and in the former case both won. It helps that they were seen as far more adult and literate than a comic-book franchise. The only nomination any Avengers film has received so far is Best Visual Effects.

“More adult?” If you’ve seen Endgame you would know it’s more adult than you think. Mad Max Fury Road and Toy Story 3 were the only films in these two franchises to ever get a Best Picture nomination right? So that whole point of previous films being nominated is futile.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

“More adult?” If you’ve seen Endgame you would know it’s more adult than you think. Mad Max Fury Road and Toy Story 3 were the only films in these two franchises to ever get a Best Picture nomination right? So that whole point of previous films being nominated is futile.

I’d just like to say that both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 would’ve been nominated if they had the 5 – 10 nominees rule back then. Of course both of them should’ve made it into the top 5, but that’s besides the point.

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

“More adult?” If you’ve seen Endgame you would know it’s more adult than you think.

Oh, I see. You’re doing a bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Make Your Picks Today!)’ is closed to new replies.