Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 347 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
31 mins ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
John Berchmans
PJ Edwards
  • JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Two Popes getting slept on. 88 MC.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem is too many Netflix movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Impressive. I can see it being a big crowd-pleaser. Netflix seems like it will have a lot on its plate with Marriage Story and The Irishman but they could also campaign this, and it’s scheduled for a theatrical release, so I can see it getting into Picture, Actor, Supp. Actor, Screenplay and some below the line categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Impressive. I can see it being a big crowd-pleaser. Netflix seems like it will have a lot on its plate with Marriage Story and The Irishman but they could also campaign this, and it’s scheduled for a theatrical release, so I can see it getting into Picture, Actor, Supp. Actor, Screenplay and some below the line categories.

Talking of Screenplay, doesn’t McCarten’s script belong in Adapted?

https://www.whatsonstage.com/northampton-theatre/reviews/the-pope-royal-and-derngate-anton-lesser_49258.html

Oddly this doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere in the film credits; perhaps it was written as a screenplay first? I’m anticipating another contentious issue with categorisation, like when Whiplash and Moonlight were considered adapted at the Oscars but original everywhere else. If The Two Popes does end up in Adapted it could well win considering how anaemic that category is looking at the moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

For sure and Netflix can handle multiple campaigns.

ReplyCopy URL
    gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Talking of Screenplay, doesn’t McCarten’s script belong in Adapted? https://www.whatsonstage.com/northampton-theatre/reviews/the-pope-royal-and-derngate-anton-lesser_49258.html Oddly this doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere in the film credits; perhaps it was written as a screenplay first? I’m anticipating another contentious issue with categorisation, like when Whiplash and Moonlight were considered adapted at the Oscars but original everywhere else. If The Two Popes does end up in Adapted it could well win considering how anaemic that category is looking at the moment.

Yeah I was hestiant on that, GD has it in Original at the minute but Wikipedia and some other places mention that it’s been adapted. I didn’t want to be specific but I agree if it runs Adapted it could win and I imagine it’ll certainly be nominated.

I have The Irishman, Little Women, ABDITN, Joker and Dark Waters getting in for now but I’m only really convinced by the first two, and The Two Popes is getting enough praise for its script to make me think it could beat them all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, we have another contender with Two Popes. This is getting interesting. It’s the first time I’m dying to watch this season’s movies.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!
    If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

I have serious reservations predicting 3 Netflix films in picture. There is still prominent anti-streaming sentiment in the industry, and I fail to see this going from nominating one (Cuaron directed) film to 3 in one year.  If The Irishman ends up underperforming, maybe Netflix will push this 0ne harder.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

If The Irishman ends up underperforming, maybe Netflix will push this 0ne harder.

Scorese never gives shit movie.

The Irishman will be a box office bomb.

It maybe not big at awards next season but it sure as hell will be a Scorsese classic.

It’s De Niro,Pacino,Pesci and Keitel under Scorsese guys,Come on.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    Josh5890
    Participant
    Topics:

Part of Netflix’s success will depend on how the rest of the competition shapes up. If more films turn into Jojo Rabbit (only going off of social media reactions), then Netflix’s chances increase. Barring anything crazy I see them with at least two best picture nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

Talking of Screenplay, doesn’t McCarten’s script belong in Adapted?

https://www.whatsonstage.com/northampton-theatre/reviews/the-pope-royal-and-derngate-anton-lesser_49258.html

Oddly this doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere in the film credits; perhaps it was written as a screenplay first? I’m anticipating another contentious issue with categorisation, like when Whiplash and Moonlight were considered adapted at the Oscars but original everywhere else. If The Two Popes does end up in Adapted it could well win considering how anaemic that category is looking at the moment.

There was a play written by McCarten that premiered earlier this year:
    (Moonlight was also based on a play script that never got played anywhere)

Anyway, I’m happy the film is being so well received and judging by the critics, despite being a “crowd-pleaser” type, it won’t be hollow like this year’s biggest winners at the Oscars.

This movie has a very interesting topic to me that never got materialized in film. Besides Hopkins and Pryce are great (the latter in The Wife was better than half of the Supporting Actor lineup this year) and Fernando Meirelles is a beast, he never gets wrong.

Hope there’s no Netflix bias on this one

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Just For Fun Predicted Acting Winners

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker
    Best Actress: Renee Zellweger – Judy
    Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt – Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood
    Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lopez – Hustlers

ReplyCopy URL
    Josh5890
    Participant
    Topics:

Just For Fun Predicted Acting Winners Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker Best Actress: Renee Zellweger – Judy Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt – Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lopez – Hustlers

I would probably put money on that parlay (ask me again in four months)

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll take a crack at it

Best actor: Joaquin phoenix (joker)

Best actress: Renee zellweger (judy)

Best supporting actor: Christian Bale (ford vs ferrari)

Best supporting actress: Laura dern (marriage story)

ReplyCopy URL
    I Don’t Need You
    Participant
    Topics:

Just For Fun Predicted Acting Winners

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker
    Best Actress: Renee Zellweger – Judy
    Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt – Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood
    Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lopez – Hustlers

Laura Dern – Marriage Story

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 347 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.