Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 488 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Downton Abbey is not getting in the Oscar race for God (Thatcher)’s sake.

I was your Prime Minister once.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

So Jojo Rabbit is almost back in certified fresh territory on RT. Really don’t know what to do with this one.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

So Jojo Rabbit is almost back in certified fresh territory on RT. Really don’t know what to do with this one.

This is actually really interesting. Before it seemed like it was a hit with audience members, but hated by critics. If it gets more critics supporting it, then it could actually get back in to the awards conversation. After all, we saw last year with Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody that you can still get in even if your film is extremely divisive, just as long as you have a lot people who are genuinely very passionate about it. Bohemian Rhapsody showed that passion can even make the film a major contender. The same could be said about Green Book, but I felt that the film itself wasn’t as divisive as the other examples I brought up, as it seemed most of the controversy came from stuff that happened behind the scenes. Anyway, I’ll continue to keep an eye on Jojo Rabbit for now. It might not be as dead as we thought it once was.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

But the Metacritic score is still almost as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody. I still don’t think it’s a contender anymore.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

But the Metacritic score is still almost as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody. I still don’t think it’s a contender anymore.

Still, the RT average rating is higher than Just Mercy, Ford V Ferrari, Judy, Harriet, The Aeronauts and couple of other Oscar contenders.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Still, the RT average rating is higher than Just Mercy, Ford V Ferrari, Judy, Harriet, The Aeronauts and couple of other Oscar contenders.

That’s a very specific metric though. Ford v Ferrari’s actual RT score is 15% higher.

For Your Consideration.

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

But if Jojo Rabbit finds enough people who feel as passionately about it as audiences did about Bohemian Rhapsody, then it could still possibly get in. Of course, unlike Bohemian Rhapsody which was about one of the most beloved men of all time, Jojo Rabbit includes one of the most hated men of all time in a major role. So it won’t be able to rely on love for the movie’s subject like Bohemian Rhapsody did. I still hope Jojo can make a comeback. The trailers looked great, Taika is a wonderful director, and I love the cast (except for Rebel Wilson)

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

But if Jojo Rabbit finds enough people who feel as passionately about it as audiences did about Bohemian Rhapsody, then it could still possibly get in. Of course, unlike Bohemian Rhapsody which was about one of the most beloved men of all time, Jojo Rabbit includes one of the most hated men of all time in a major role. So it won’t be able to rely on love for the movie’s subject like Bohemian Rhapsody did. I still hope Jojo can make a comeback. The trailers looked great, Taika is a wonderful director, and I love the cast (except for Rebel Wilson)

Bohemian Rhapsody also made over $900M worldwide. Jojo Rabbit will be lucky to make 1/20th of that gross. It will probably bomb.

For Your Consideration.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Bohemian Rhapsody also made over $900M worldwide. Jojo Rabbit will be lucky to make 1/20th of that gross. It will probably bomb.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Still seems divisive to me. Maybe it isnt a dumpster fire like before but dont really see an avenue for it anymore.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Jojo Rabbit a typical safe Oscar-bait movie? Because if it is, it can totally get in regardless of quality.

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Jojo Rabbit a typical safe Oscar-bait movie? Because if it is, it can totally get in regardless of quality.

Judging from the subject matter and Taika Waititi, I doubt it.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Willem Dafoe, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

Greg
    Participant
    Topics:

With now 76% on Rotten Tomatoes I wonder if Joker will be too divisive for the Academy…

JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Why do y’all care for RT scores? Didn’t vice get into BP earlier this year? And that movie was a mess and had a low score

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

As long as Joker stays above 70% I’m not too worried: plenty of films have made it into Picture with low-mid 70’s scores. If if drops into the 60’s it will have to be this year’s Bohemian Rhapsody: massive box office and an overwhelming wave of fan support.

For Your Consideration.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.