Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 495 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker opening weekend projection is 80 million dollars+. It isn’t going anywhere.

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

Why do y’all care for RT scores? Didn’t vice get into BP earlier this year? And that movie was a mess and had a low score

66% isn’t low. And it got nominated because the Academy liked Adam McKay, at least enough to nominate him for Best Director. I don’t think Todd Phillips will have the same luck should Joker drop that low (I think Joaquin has a solid shot to win regardless of the score)-fingers crossed, though.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

With now 76% on Rotten Tomatoes I wonder if Joker will be too divisive for the Academy…

Nah. Critics dont vote oscar. Critics scores are only important for little tiny films that need buzz, not huge movies like Joker.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker will be massive and even with the polarising response, it has passionate lovers that’ll vote for it.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Nah. Critics dont vote oscar. Critics scores are only important for little tiny films that need buzz, not huge movies like Joker.

You wouldn’t say that 5 years ago lol

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s worth noting fans also may not unanimously praise Joker, it is said to be super divisive (even without the dumb “it inspires violence” crap a lot of critics are preaching).

Lol at that poster making fun of people predicting Avengers… while predicting Hustlers.

Does anyone here think The Report may break out more than just supporting actress? It’s Oscar bait, albeit playing to the older tastes of the academy, but bait nonetheless. Driver is on a roll recently, so maybe voters will tune in for him. I think its writer/director are holding it back, but I have it in picture solely because I don’t know what else to put.

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s one thing to sit at 76 % with middling reviews and a whole different story to sit at 76 % with sharply divisive reviews. That’s pretty much the difference between Harriet and Joker right now. We all know which one has an open path to multiple nods and even some wins.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

With now 76% on Rotten Tomatoes I wonder if Joker will be too divisive for the Academy…

Best Actor is its primary concern for category recognition.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Where’s The Aeronauts in everyone’s prediction?

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Divisive films that do well at oscars are usually divisive with reviews a lot more than general audiences, and are usually crowd pleasers like Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody or even Three Billboards. But I think Joker could be even more divisive among audiences than critics, I doubt it will totally shut out of awards season like this film, but the divisiveness seems more like mother!, or Vox Lux than Green Book or Three Billboards. It’ll still make a lot of money, so it won’t be a total non starter like those films, but if the reactions aren’t great from audiences then it can forget about any noms but Phoenix. Honestly I think that’s all it’s getting anyway, even if regular people love it.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Where’s The Aeronauts in everyone’s prediction?

waiting for the tech categories to be added. I’m not sure if I’ll actually predict it anywhere, but it’s probably a pretty strong visual effects contender, maybe something like production design or sound too. I don’t see why people aren’t higher on Felicity Jones though, I’m not predicting her but she’s a contender with the race being so weak.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

waiting for the tech categories to be added. I’m not sure if I’ll actually predict it anywhere, but it’s probably a pretty strong visual effects contender, maybe something like production design or sound too. I don’t see why people aren’t higher on Felicity Jones though, I’m not predicting her but she’s a contender with the race being so weak.

Yeah Idk why. Everyone was so bold on it, especially Eddie and Felicity, and then it just … vanished even before its premiere at TIFF.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah Idk why. Everyone was so bold on it, especially Eddie and Felicity, and then it just … vanished even before its premiere at TIFF.

Yeah and it’s not like it’s getting bad reviews, people seem to like it quite a bit, and Felicity is being singled out by everyone. I don’t think anyone was ever expecting it to get huge raves. It’s not a surefire box office hit, but it has potential to make a lot of money if they market it as a fun family friendly adventure film.

ARegularGuy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Jojo Rabbit‘s chances are all but gone at this point, save for maybe a Best Adapted Screenplay nom.

With the lukewarm reviews and Disney’s worry about the film hurting their image (see: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/disney-fears-taika-waititi-nazi-jojo-rabbit-edgy-studio-1202165495/) I doubt it will get a major awards push from the studio and more of their efforts will be put into Ford v Ferrari, which apparently is well liked by Disney brass.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, what if Hustlers is finally this year’s Bridesmaids and gets nominated for Screenplay and Supporting Actress for Stripper Lopez? Of course it isn’t winning anything, but it could get nominated, as surreal as it seems.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.