Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 485 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Vanity fair did an article/discussion about this year oscar race predictions after the fall festivals

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/2020-oscar-predictions-fall-festivals

Same pics everyone is predicting will be contenders….including Jojo Rabbit.

K. Austin Collins: “I’d also advise everyone not to sleep on Jojo Rabbit, which has the right message, the right timing, and the right amount of hope, with enough of an aesthetic identity and writerly cleverness to feel like the full package. I do not like this movie, but I also think it’s theoretically easy to like. This is a familiar feeling for me during awards season. Do either of you feel that way? Have you pinpointed releases that you know will go far, but already don’t feel great about?”

Richard: “Kam, I’m with you on Jojo. That movie—for all its (effortful) sweetness and easily digested messaging about Nazis being, y’know, bad (“but not all Nazis!” the movie lamely chirps right at the end)—just didn’t sit well with me.

Jojo got more of a critical drubbing at Toronto than I thought it would—but that still doesn’t shake the feeling I had watching the film, arriving somewhere during the third act, that this thing could go all the way. It may offer the exact kind of feints toward edginess without any real edge that a portion of the Academy is looking for in these comfort-seeking times. (So the opposite of the imagined pro-Joker camp.) A Jojo Rabbit win wouldn’t be a total disaster; there is enough to like in the movie, including Scarlett Johansson glowing through a wobbly accent, and some technically assured filmmaking (if heavily borrowed from other directors like Wes Anderson). But yeah. A win would suggest a certain hunger for platitudes on the Academy’s part that wouldn’t be terribly encouraging.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol pundits still being stubborn.

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Post Venice predictions:</p>
    Best Picture:

Avengers Endgame

Joker

The Irishman

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Waves

Marriage Story

Rocketman

Us

Ford V Ferrari

Little Women

Best Director:

The Russo Brothers

Martin Scorsese

James Mangold

Quentin Tarantino

Trey Edward Schultz

Best Actor:

Joaquin Phoenix

Adam Driver

Adam Sandler

Kelvin Harrison Jr

Taron Egerton

Best Actress:

Cynthia Ervio

Saiorse Ronan

Lupita Nyong’o

Scarlett Johansson

Taylor Russell

Best Supporting Actor:

Robert Downey Jr

Brad Pitt

Tom Hanks

Sterling K. Brown

Christian Bale

Best Supporting Actress:

Jennifer Lopez

Janelle Monae

Laura Dern

Florence Pugh

Nicole Kidman

Best Original Screenplay:

Waves

Knives Out

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Us

Marriage Story

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Avengers Endgame

Joker

The Irishman

Little Women

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, what if Hustlers is finally this year’s Bridesmaids and gets nominated for Screenplay and Supporting Actress for Stripper Lopez? Of course it isn’t winning anything, but it could get nominated, as surreal as it seems.

It depends on Little Women, I think. I am already predicting it for screenplay, but if Little Women flops than the seas will part for JLO.

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

Queen Felicity is coming after RBG flop

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Starting to feel confident in Bong Joon-Ho’s place in the best director lineup. Parasite looks likely to take TIFF’s audience award which will hold it in good stead to make it into best picture also.

The audience award calculated the number of people who liked the film out the number of screening attendees. So I’m leaning towards Parasite, Knives Out or Marriage Story taking the award.

JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Muthafucking Queen JLo will be this years Sandra Bullock! She is already campaigning! And as she should! The film is a critical success and is a commercial hit! And she has the performance! Brace yourselves Racist Goldderby’s! It’s gonna be one hell of a race!!!!

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Does anyone here think The Report may break out more than just supporting actress? It’s Oscar bait, albeit playing to the older tastes of the academy, but bait nonetheless. Driver is on a roll recently, so maybe voters will tune in for him. I think its writer/director are holding it back, but I have it in picture solely because I don’t know what else to put.

With the 2020 election starting up soon, I’m predicting it to do very well. Right now I have Picture, Director (probably not happening though, have him in for the 100/1 lol), Supporting Actress, and Original Screenplay. Driver’s exposure from Marriage Story will only help this movie and vice versa.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Muthafucking Queen JLo will be this years Sandra Bullock! She is already campaigning! And as she should! The film is a critical success and is a commercial hit! And she has the performance! Brace yourselves Racist Goldderby’s! It’s gonna be one hell of a race!!!!

I’m not denying that JLo might get nominated, but there’s no way that she’s gonna beat Laura Dern. Unlike JLo, Laura Dern consistently receives high praise for her work (JLo’s only well received performances are from the beginning of her acting career, with almost everything that followed receiving awful reviews). Also, Hustlers is only being considered a contender in Supporting Actress and Adapted Screenplay, two of this year’s weakest looking categories. Marriage Story is currently being considered a huge Oscar player this year, with many people predicting it wins in Picture, Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay, and of course more than 1100 GoldDerby users saying Dern’s gonna take Supporting Actress. In addition to Dern getting excellent reviews for her work in the film, she’s also been involved in several big and well received projects these past few years that almost certainly helped increase her already impressive goodwill in the industry. The same can’t be said for Lopez. Also, I’m gonna be upfront, I don’t care for Lopez. However, that’s entirely based on my dislike for her as artist, and has nothing to do with her race. I won’t pretend that there aren’t racist users on GoldDerby, but there are plenty of people who don’t like Lopez that have nothing against Latinos. Anyway, despite the fact that I’m not a fan, if I believe she deserves it, then I’ll completely support a nomination. Hell, I’ll support a win if I genuinely believe she’s the best. But right now, Dern is looking very strong. It’s possible someone could beat her (my current alternate is Margot Robbie) but I don’t think JLo is the woman to do it.

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

Original Screenplay looks like it will be between Noah Baumbach and Trey Edward Schultz for the win.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m beginning to feel really confident about Parasite getting a Best Picture nomination. There aren’t many big contenders left to screen. The big four of those are The Irishman, Little Women, Bombshell and 1917*.

We’ve been losing more assumed Best Picture contenders than gaining from the festival circuit. The race has lost The Goldfinch, arguably Jojo Rabbit, Harriet, arguably The Laundromat, Motherless Brooklyn, Lucy In The Sky…

So there is a power vacuum, and a crowd-pleasing, wildly acclaimed film by a respected director that gets big festival buzz fills that. Hence, Parasite becomes a Best Picture nomination.

*I only have 1917 down as a contender because pundits say it’s a contender. I seriously don’t think it’s a Dunkirk-level candidate. Sam Mendes is no Christopher Nolan for one. In fact quite the opposite. Nolan is great at spectacle but not so great at the human element, while Mendes is a good director of emotional performances but subpar at action.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Parasite

Chimichanggas
    Participant
    Topics:

My updated Prediction Center list. (All are in alphabetical order)

Best Picture:
    • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    • Ford v Ferrari
    • The Irishman
    • Joker
    • Little Women
    • Marriage Story
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Parasite
    • Us

Best Director:
    • Greta Gerwig, Little Women
    • Bong Joon-ho, Parasite
    • Sam Mendes, 1917
    • Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
    • Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Actor:
    • Christian Bale, Ford v Ferrari
    • Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
    • Robert De Niro, The Irishman
    • Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Best Actress:
    • Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
    • Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    • Lupita Nyong’o, Us
    • Saorsie Ronan, Little Women
    • Renee Zellweger, Judy

Best Supporting Actor:
    • Willem Dafoe, The Lighthouse
    • Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    • Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    • Al Pacino, The Irishman
    • Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Supporting Actress:
    • Annette Bening, The Report
    • Laura Dern, Marriage Story
    • Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers
    • Margot Robbie, Bombshell
    • Meryl Streep, The Laundromat

Best Original Screenplay
    • The Farewell
    • Marriage Story
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • Parasite
    • Us

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    • The Irishman
    • Joker
    • Little Women
    • Toy Story 4

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙤𝙙, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙖𝙙, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story’s not missing Actor lol. I don’t think it will miss Director either but who knows.

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story’s not missing Actor lol. I don’t think it will miss Director either but who knows.

It doesn’t really look like “the directing” type of movie as much as it is “the screenplay” type of movie.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t really look like “the directing” type of movie as much as it is “the screenplay” type of movie.

Yeah I agree, but I feel like the buzz for the film is strong enough for Baumbach to get in.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 485 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.