Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 487 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story’s not missing Actor lol. I don’t think it will miss Director either but who knows.

It doesn’t really look like “the directing” type of movie as much as it is “the screenplay” type of movie.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t really look like “the directing” type of movie as much as it is “the screenplay” type of movie.

Yeah I agree, but I feel like the buzz for the film is strong enough for Baumbach to get in.

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly other than Once Upon and Marriage Story, I dont really see any other films as “locks”. Jojo flopping really opened things up.

Hustlers is probably the safest SAG Ensemble prediction. Big box office hit, female/diverse big cast, early release. Fits the mold of many past nominees like Crazy Rich Asians, Big Sick, Bridesmaids etc.

Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

Regardless of screen time for these movies…

Are we sure that Anthony Hopkins is being campaigned as supporting and Jonathan Pryce as lead in The Two Popes? Just watched a trailer, and Hopkins’ name is being billed first.

Same with A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood… Tom Hanks’ name is the only one that appears in the trailer, yet he is listed under Supporting in the Prediction Centre, while Matthew Rhys is listed as a contender for Lead Actor.

Category placement is more likely to reflect top billing over actual screen time (remember The Favourite, Training Day, Gods and Monsters, Collateral, The Last King of Scotland, etc.).

I can see you are not really following reviews, buzz from festivals. Hanks has very supporting role, there is no discussion at all. Its Matthew Rhys story.

Same with Two Popes. Pryce will be lead and Hopkins supporting. I think the only questions is Ford vs Ferrari where apparently both Bale and Damona are lead and its hard to imagine any of them going supp

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still apprehensive about Parasite’s chances of being nominated for Picture for three main reason. One: It’s a Foreign Language (or I guess I should say International) film, which the academy still has a big bias towards even after Roma’s nomination. Two: Unlike Roma, Parasite is a much less straightforward film with a lot of underlying metaphor beneath the surface, making it harder to understand, and Bong Joon Ho is not an academy veteran like Cuaron (or even a previous nominee). Third: Neon is an absolutely awful distributor when it comes to awards campaigning: they couldn’t even get I Tonya into the Picture race two years ago.

If Parasite wins the People’s Choice award then I think it has a shot, but I still think that award will go to a more widely seen and buzzed about film like A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Ford v Ferrari, or Just Mercy.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Hustlers is probably the safest SAG Ensemble prediction. Big box office hit, female/diverse big cast, early release. Fits the mold of many past nominees like Crazy Rich Asians, Big Sick, Bridesmaids etc.

I can definitely see Hustlers making it in, but I wouldn’t call it the safest prediction. Marriage Story is a potential Best Picture winner with several big names giving very well received performances, with three of them being considered possible winners. And Little Women is a much hyped about movie with an all star cast. As long as it’s good (and early word says it is), it’s very likely going to be nominated. I’d say both of those will make it in over Hustlers. I’m curious to see what happens with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It’s got a great cast full of stars, but aside from DiCaprio, Pitt, and Robbie, everyone plays very small roles (and Robbie’s role isn’t exactly that big since she doesn’t do a whole lot). The whole cast is excellent, but I wonder if the film’s SAG chances could be hurt since it ends up feeling like a two hander (sort of like how LaLaLand was likely hurt at SAG).

Anyway, I’ve just realized that Laura Dern has a very good shot at getting four SAG nominations (an individual nomination for Marriage Story, and ensemble nods for Marriage Story, Little Women, and Big Little Lies. And her father could also wind up getting a nomination for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (for ensemble). It’s a good time to be a Dern.

justonemorething
    Participant
    Topics:

Once Upon a Time’s ensemble will be sizable because Dakota Fanning, Margaret Qualley, Julia Butters, Kurt Russell, Emile Hirsch, Mike Moh, Al Pacino, Austin Butler have memorable contributions even while small. Actors like Damien Lewis or Luke Perry or Maya Hawke, Lena Dunham have little more than cameos and won’t be included.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Once Upon a Time has all that and much bigger names and its in a much better place in the BP race.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Ad Astra might be big, Best Picture nominee and stuff.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Kenneth Lonergan got in for Manchester by the Sea. If Marriage Story is as big as predicted, Noah Baumbach will have no problem getting in.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t feel right predicted Hustlers for a SAG Ensemble nom. Mainly the fact that I don’t see Cardi B or Lizzo getting a major industry award nomination (Grammys excluded). Sag nominee Cardi B just doesn’t seem right.
    I don’t have a problem with Lopez getting in, just as long as it’s a worthy performance. Once I’ve seen it I will be able to make a fair judgement

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  gabarnes43.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  gabarnes43.

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Kenneth Lonergan got in for Manchester by the Sea. If Marriage Story is as big as predicted, Noah Baumbach will have no problem getting in.

Lonergan’s direction wasn’t particularly showy, but it was still fantastic.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Manchester is underrated and a masterpiece. Michelle should have also won Best Supporting Actress over Fraudola. The only bad thing in the movie was Lucas Hedges’ mediocre talent and miscastness.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Manchester is underrated and a masterpiece. Michelle should have also won Best Supporting Actress over Fraudola. The only bad thing in the movie was Lucas Hedges’ mediocre talent and miscastness.

I see this come up often and I can’t help but remind people that Naomie Harris should have won that year for Moonlight

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Completely agree about Michelle (not only was she actually supporting, she was legitimately better than Viola), and completely disagree about Lucas.

I see this come up often and I can’t help but remind people that Naomie Harris should have won that year for Moonlight

I would’ve voted for Williams, but Harris would’ve been an extremely deserving winner as well. I feel her performance (despite being nominated) is criminally underrated. I thought she was also better than Viola.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.