Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 487 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still apprehensive about Parasite’s chances of being nominated for Picture for three main reason. One: It’s a Foreign Language (or I guess I should say International) film, which the academy still has a big bias towards even after Roma’s nomination. Two: Unlike Roma, Parasite is a much less straightforward film with a lot of underlying metaphor beneath the surface, making it harder to understand, and Bong Joon Ho is not an academy veteran like Cuaron (or even a previous nominee). Third: Neon is an absolutely awful distributor when it comes to awards campaigning: they couldn’t even get I Tonya into the Picture race two years ago.

If Parasite wins the People’s Choice award then I think it has a shot, but I still think that award will go to a more widely seen and buzzed about film like A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Ford v Ferrari, or Just Mercy.

What.

Parasite is much more accesible film than black and white slow cinema – Roma. It will please general audience because its so funny, engaging with many twists and also bloody. It’s really close to some Tarantino movies in a way. And it will also satisfy high-brows and critics because it’s very beautiful, artistic and has important themes. It’s a movie for everyone. Literally everybody likes it or loves it which is something you rarely if ever see.
    If it wins Poeple choice then it will contend for BP win. Nomination is basically guaranteed imo.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Parasite is NOT winning Picture LOL

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still apprehensive about Parasite’s chances of being nominated for Picture for three main reason. One: It’s a Foreign Language (or I guess I should say International) film, which the academy still has a big bias towards even after Roma’s nomination. Two: Unlike Roma, Parasite is a much less straightforward film with a lot of underlying metaphor beneath the surface, making it harder to understand, and Bong Joon Ho is not an academy veteran like Cuaron (or even a previous nominee). Third: Neon is an absolutely awful distributor when it comes to awards campaigning: they couldn’t even get I Tonya into the Picture race two years ago.

If Parasite wins the People’s Choice award then I think it has a shot, but I still think that award will go to a more widely seen and buzzed about film like A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Ford v Ferrari, or Just Mercy.

Parasite is a fairly accessible movie tbh. Roma is considerably slower-paced and more reflective in its pacing, while Parasite is a crowd-pleaser with a lot of laughs and twists. Watch Parasite in a big crowd and you’ll get big reactions. Yes, there’s underlying metaphor and depths to it, but the core story of manipulation is easy to grasp and enjoy.

Neon being a dodgy distributor is a problem, but I will say they’ve done a better job with Parasite’s festival run so far than I, Tonya. And even I, Tonya I’d argue would have been the next film to get nominated that year and wasn’t far off from a Best Picture.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cordelia.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys. Bong Joon Ho isn’t an academy darling. Cuaron could film himself sleeping for 4 hours and get director and picture nominations locked. The academy doesn’t often nominate foreign films in picture. Roma isn’t indicative of a change.  When was the last nomination before Roma– The Artist?

Someone said Parasite will please the general audience. The general audience doesn’t watch foreign language films. All the Best Foreign Film nominees combined last year had like 10 million in domestic box office.  As always, I’m always down to be incorrect. Parasite and Weathering With you are my 2 most anticipated foreign films this year, so if they get more nods than expected, power to them.

And then as for Hustler’s “lock” in SAG ensemble…… the only above average performance in that movie was Constance Wu’s grandmother and MAYBE JLo.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

What. Parasite is much more accesible film than black and white slow cinema – Roma. It will please general audience because its so funny, engaging with many twists and also bloody. It’s really close to some Tarantino movies in a way. And it will also satisfy high-brows and critics because it’s very beautiful, artistic and has important themes. It’s a movie for everyone. Literally everybody likes it or loves it which is something you rarely if ever see. If it wins Poeple choice then it will contend for BP win. Nomination is basically guaranteed imo.

What I meant is that it had a more complicated plot than Roma, which was mostly just “a woman, in Mexico” for 90% of the film. I will admit that I haven’t seen the film, only read about it’s plot online, so maybe that won’t be as much of a problem as I though.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma isn’t indicative of a change.

It actually was. Last year was the first after a bunch of new international people got added and no one really knew how they would vote. And you are omitting The Favourite and Cold War in this take.

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

What I meant is that it had a more complicated plot than Roma, which was mostly just “a woman, in Mexico” for 90% of the film. I will admit that I haven’t seen the film, only read about it’s plot online, so maybe that won’t be as much of a problem as I though.

Definitely won’t be a problem. I saw it in a general theatre not a festival screening and my theatre was packed.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Waves [all the way down](https://www.metacritic.com/movie/waves/critic-reviews) to a 81 MC. It pretty much has to place tomorrow to remain in the race.

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

What do people think of Queen & Slim, the trailers have been fantastic, and the cast looks great. Any buzz or word on if it is a contender.

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

What do people think of Queen & Slim, the trailers have been fantastic, and the cast looks great. Any buzz or word on if it is a contender.

I think we need to wait till it releases on November 27 (or possibly on AFI) to figure that out, but so far, yeah, I agree the trailers were good, but it looks unwieldy for Oscar viewers and it doesn’t have much star power going for it save for Daniel Kaluuya and Lena Waithe (as writer). I would like to see it work out well, though.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Willem Dafoe, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Adapted Screenplay is so weak, I’m literally predicting Toy Story 4, and it’ll probably get in.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Adapted Screenplay is so weak, I’m literally predicting Toy Story 4, and it’ll probably get in.

Same here.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Guys. Bong Joon Ho isn’t an academy darling. Cuaron could film himself sleeping for 4 hours and get director and picture nominations locked. The academy doesn’t often nominate foreign films in picture. Roma isn’t indicative of a change. When was the last nomination before Roma– The Artist?

Amour – which was apparently less accessible than Parasite and also a Palme d’Or winner. And this was before the recent surge in international members.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m replacing Waves in Original Screenplay with Knives Out now. I don’t think it will be nominated for anything with those reviews. It needs raves to be a contender. A24’s one and only contender now is probably The Lighthouse.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

So now that Jojo is back, I guess SAG ensemble is now:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Marriage Story
    Jojo Rabbit
    Hustlers

then pick one from a bunch of Knives Out, Little Women, Irishmen I guess, Bombshell, etc.

But I feel like this lineup is missing little diverse indie movie. So maybe The Farewell?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.