Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 488 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m tired of all the negativity on these forums. I’m super exited for this season. The Oscars felt like such an inside club for a while: a bunch of cinephiles with their deep, high brow, metaphor soaked cinema. I like those movies too, on occasion, but watching 8-9 in one year would feel like going through all of my English classes again at the same time. Last year felt so much more inclusive, like the academy was opening it’s doors to everyone, and truly celebrating cinema as a whole, rather than just their little comfortable corner of it. Call me a normie or a sheep, I don’t care, but I’d much rather watch 6-7 films that look very entertaining, like Parasite, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, 1917, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and Jojo Rabbit, with a few heavier films mixed in, like Marriage Story, The Irishman, and Little Women. This Best Picture lineup is going to be great! I have to admit that OUATIH does look dreadfully boring through: Thatcher may be right about that one.

I disagree about last year. It did not feel like it was opening its doors, but rather succumbing to popularity contests and Oscar bait (looking at you, Bohemian Rhapsody). But 2017 was a good year- Get OutLady BirdDunkirk, etc., felt like real stories and were deserving of nominations (though Darkest Hour and The Post could have easily been replaced by Logan and The Florida Project). I do think the Oscars are stepping in the right direction in that regard. I just hope we get voices and diverse filmmaking inside instead of what was the mess of last year (and yes, I am still rooting for Avengers: Endgame to get nominated for Best Picture). And yeah, the point of movie making is to entertain and connect with fans, so I do hope for a mixture of lighter films that connect with people as well as hard edged films that have something to say (but doesn’t lose itself in saying it).

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Ford v Ferrari is a lock for anything right now. Maybe tech nominations, but it might have to do really well at the box office for it to get into BP as festival buzz/critical reception is becoming more and more muted compared to other contenders.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford vs. Ferrari will go the way of First Man.

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe it is worth noting that I highly doubt the academy won’t nominate a female directer this year. In the year of Little Women, ABDITN, and even films like The Farewell, Harriet, Clemency, Booksmart, and Hustlers that is one bad narrative. Last year’s backlash was bad enough, and the only main female-directed contender was Can You Ever Forgive Me, (which definitely would not deserve the nomination, but alas the backlash was still there.) That’s one of the main reasons I’m skeptical to predict  Joon-ho. Currently he has replaced Gerwig in the prediction center.

This Best Picture lineup is going to be great! I have to admit that OUATIH does look dreadfully boring through: Thatcher may be right about that one.

I agree that BP looks very fun this year, I think the negativity is amplified by a few users, but there’s also some really boring categories this year. Namely Actress, Supporting Actress, and both screenplays, which have so few likely contenders it makes discourse derivative.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

This seems like a trashy year but also hilarious to watch from the sidelines. The Oscars and their voters are having such an identity crisis about what should be rewarded in cinema.

Once the Globe kicks in, the races are over. It’s the Hollywood Foreign Press Assossiation who decides the race, and as far as I can tell, they are absolutely fine with surprises

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe it is worth noting that I highly doubt the academy won’t nominate a female directer this year. In the year of Little Women, ABDITN, and even films like The Farewell, Harriet, Clemency, Booksmart, and Hustlers that is one bad narrative. Last year’s backlash was bad enough, and the only main female-directed contender was Can You Ever Forgive Me, (which definitely would not deserve the nomination, but alas the backlash was still there.) That’s one of the main reasons I’m skeptical to predict Joon-ho. Currently he has replaced Gerwig in the prediction center.

I agree that it would be terrible if no female directors were nominated this year, especially since two are directing Picture contenders, but it will probably happen. Tarentino and Scorcese are locks based on their legacy alone, Baumbach’s film is one of this year’s biggest contenders, and Joon Ho may be the frontrunner to win it all, since the director branch has been very biased towards POC recently. The only one who’s vunurable is Mendes, and I have a good feeling that 1917 will be this year’s Dunkirk.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Experts on GD and many other sites still have Once Upon A Time In Hollywood as #1.

It has grossed well over $300 millions,possibly will finish near or over $400 millions depending on China release.

It’s a “Hollywood Hand-Job” which stuff is always loved by Academy.

Made by one of biggest and most influential filmmaker today Quentin Tarantino and most likely his second last movie.Cast is Super-Duper big and delivered a brilliant ensemble performance.

It maybe not best movie of the year but can it just win Best Picture.It is ticking all the boxes so far.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

It also helped that the festival season was just kind of a big flop this season. A few good not great films, a divisive audience winner, and some flat out bombs. Only real breakout was Marriage Story which is a netflix movie that Academy seems to hate.

OneAndOnlyMe.
    Participant
    Topics:

Lets not pretend we don’t know who’s winning Best Picture…

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

Marriage Story

Cats.

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Even if Jojo Rabbit won TIFF, I still don’t have it in my predictions considering its lukewarm reception. I know about Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody, but those have to be flukes and I don’t think like the Academy.</p>

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Lets not pretend we don’t know who’s winning Best Picture…

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Marriage Story

Cats.

JHud is also coming for 2nd Oscar.

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

I always anticipate movies that ONLY get in for Best Screenplay. I’m thinking Knives Out will be the next one.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I always anticipate movies that ONLY get in for Best Screenplay. I’m thinking Knives Out will be the next one.

I agree. That film seems like a strong contender for Original, especially since that category’s pretty weak this year.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Even if Jojo Rabbit won TIFF, I still don’t have it in my predictions considering its lukewarm reception. I know about Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody, but those have to be flukes and I don’t think like the Academy.</p>

Jojo Rabbit’s response wasn’t exactly lukewarm. If it was lukewarm it wouldn’t have won at TIFF. It’s a divisive film that has many people who clearly feel very passionate about it, just like Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody. That passion will help it in the same way it helped those two.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture (by nomination, not win likelihood)
    1. Marriage Story
    2. 1917
    3. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    4. Parasite
    5. Little Women
    6. Jojo Rabbit
    7. The Irishman
    8. Ford v. Ferrari
    9. Waves
    ——
    10. Just Mercy
    11. Joker
    12. A Beautiful Day in the Neighbhorhood
    13. The Farewell
    14. The Two Popes
    15. Bombshell
    16. Queen and Slim
    17. Knives Out
    18. Ad Astra
    19. Harriet
    20. The Lighthouse

My personal Top 10 of the 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Joker 4) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 5) The Peanut Butter Falcon 6) Marriage Story 7) Luce 8) Yesterday 9) Hotel Mumbai 10) Avengers: Endgame

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.