Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 488 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this is the first time I totally agreed with you. The underestimation of The Irishman feels odd considering the hype for other contenders.

People are still reeling from overpredicting Silence. They’re just being cautious this time around to pile on the praise prematurely (sweet accidental alliteration). I say fuck it, I hope this movie is amazing and I’m ready to get hurt again.

TOSHlRO
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s high time for the Academy members to jump ahead of the curve and just give “Parasite” the Oscar for Best Picture, after years of criminally snubbing South Korea in the Best Foreign Language Film category despite delivering some of the finest cinema in recent memory (the “Burning” and “Handmaiden” snubs sting the most).

And to be honest, no other film could top what “Parasite” did, not its thematic complexity, nor its incisive and acerbic writing on socio-economic aggression, nor its Greek chorus ensemble filled with winsome performances (Song Kang Ho trumps most of the Best Actor contenders, including Nose Driver).

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing I’ve noticed while doing some research is that either the first or second runner-up’s for People’s Choice have been snubbed of a Picture nomination every year. So this means either Marriage Story or Parasite could miss out. Right now I think Parasite is more vulnerable.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s high time for the Academy members to jump ahead of the curve and just give “Parasite” the Oscar for Best Picture, after years of criminally snubbing South Korea in the Best Foreign Language Film category despite delivering some of the finest cinema in recent memory (the “Burning” and “Handmaiden” snubs sting the most). And to be honest, no other film could top what “Parasite” did, not its thematic complexity, nor its incisive and acerbic writing on socio-economic aggression, nor its Greek chorus ensemble filled with winsome performances (Song Kang Ho trumps most of the Best Actor contenders, including Nose Driver).

Jesus, my Korean friend, don’t be so arrogant.

Parasite is brilliant, but “no other film could top what Parasite did”? This is obviously exaggerated. And plz…. what about those classic Chinese films, Japanese films, and so on..? They are usually ignored by Academy,too. Don’t act like that Academy owes Korea something.

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty sure it’s working for me.

It’s not anymore.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Dark Waters trailer

verissimoallan
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Jesus, my Korean friend, don’t be so arrogant. Parasite is brilliant, but “no other film could top what Parasite did”? This is obviously exaggerated. And plz…. what about those classic Chinese films, Japanese films, and so on..? They are usually ignored by Academy,too. Don’t act like that Academy owes Korea something.

Obviously it is an exaggeration, some may call it as a hyperbolic statement which can be interpreted as an example of overzealousness for my part.

Japanese and Chinese films “usually” ignored lmao you got to be kidding me. Akira Kurosawa? Hayao Miyazaki? Hirokazu Koreeda? Hiroshi Teshigahara?  Ang Lee? Chen Kaige?

It may have been a smaller pool but compared to South Korea, who has one of today’s richest cinemas, hasn’t been nominated even once despite the brilliant quality they have been churning out in the past couple of years. The fact that BAFTA gave “The Handmaiden” an award, Kim Ki-duk creating some of the most brilliantly contemplative films in the 21st century with “Spring, Summer”, “Burning” receiving some of Cannes best notices last year—and still no Oscar nomination… yep. But what do I expect from a Kubrick stan who lives in his own bubble of cinema?

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously it is an exaggeration, some may call it as a hyperbolic statement which can be interpreted as an example of overzealousness for my part. Japanese and Chinese films “usually” ignored lmao you got to be kidding me. Akira Kurosawa? Hayao Miyazaki? Hirokazu Koreeda? Hiroshi Teshigahara? Ang Lee? Chen Kaige? It may have been a smaller pool but compared to South Korea, who has one of today’s richest cinemas, hasn’t been nominated even once despite the brilliant quality they have been churning out in the past couple of years. The fact that BAFTA gave “The Handmaiden” an award, Kim Ki-duk creating some of the most brilliantly contemplative films in the 21st century with “Spring, Summer”, “Burning” receiving some of Cannes best notices last year—and still no Oscar nomination… yep. But what do I expect from a Kubrick stan who lives in his own bubble of cinema?

So you think asian movies are ignored? Well as a brazilian I can say nothing comes close to City of God not being nominated for Best International Feature. It is currently #23 on IMDB’s top 250 and it deserved to be nominated Best Picture and Best Director.

Oliver24681
    Participant
    Topics:

I do agree Parasite is the movie of this year. But I’m afraid your tone is pushing away other potential supporters on this board.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Indiewire did a critics survey out of TIFF: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

Biggest takeaways:
    1. Looks like critics will be as on board for Parasite as they were for Roma, maybe its a top 3 picture contender.
    2. Jojo came in 3rd in the feature poll and 5th in the screenplay poll, so I’m assuming this means the critics that like it really love it.
    3. I expect Driver and Banderas too sweep critics prizes (it’s not like them to award something as flashy as Joker)
    4. J-Lo could show up in several critics awards, and with as weak a category as hers and the interesting situation she’s in, she might just come out on top there.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting that Marielle Heller ranked in the top 5 for directors: maybe she can get a nomination after all. That would sure help out ABDITN’s Oscar chances. Also, Bong-Joon Ho looks like even more of a frontrunner to win director after that massive gulf between him and everyone else.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Indiewire did a critics survey out of TIFF: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

Biggest takeaways:
    1. Looks like critics will be as on board for Parasite as they were for Roma, maybe its a top 3 picture contender.
    2. Jojo came in 3rd in the feature poll and 5th in the screenplay poll, so I’m assuming this means the critics that like it really love it.
    3. I expect Driver and Banderas too sweep critics prizes (it’s not like them to award something as flashy as Joker)
    4. J-Lo could show up in several critics awards, and with as weak a category as hers and the interesting situation she’s in, she might just come out on top there.

I agree with most of your observations, but I don’t think Supporting Actress is a weak field at all this year. There are about 15 performances that all have a reasonable shot at a nomination. That’s a stronger lineup than Best Actress (if any of the acting categories is weak this time, it’s this) or even Best Actor.

Lopez might well get in anyway though.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.