Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 488 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

Did Taika Waititi receive high notices for his supporting role? From the reviews i have seen there is not much said about him playing Hitler, and that makes me doubt putting him in my predictions.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Did Taika Waititi receive high notices for his supporting role? From the reviews i have seen there is not much said about him playing Hitler, and that makes me doubt putting him in my predictions.

I’ll have to check out the reviews. It just seems like something voters will go for. Seeing a hated, anti-semitic monster satirized in such a ridiculous way by a Jewish man seems like something people will eat up. And if they like Jojo Rabbit, they might want to reward Taika in several categories, and I don’t see him breaking through into director right now.

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve heard that his performance was the weakest part of the movie, so don’t put him in.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Ad Astra about to overperform at box office and it’s still gonna be a flop. It really is First Flop all over again.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve heard that his performance was the weakest part of the movie, so don’t put him in.

Can anyone else support this claim? He’s in my 5th spot, but I’m not sure about him. I feel like he’s already got a decent amount of attention and hype (thought the hype is probably more from general viewers than voters) for playing Hitler. Maybe I’m just predicting him because I find the concept of a Jewish man being up for an Oscar playing Hitler hilarious. Anyone, someone let me know more specifics on his odds.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

is not hilarious at all,is cliche and annoying,people are tired of world war 2 movies ,even as satire

What excites me about Jojo Rabbit is that it’s a different telling of this story. We saw last year with BlackkKlansman that one of the most powerful insults you can make towards these hate mongers is showing them what they truly are. A bunch of ridiculous idiots. We’ve seen Mel Brooks do this against the Nazis, and I feel like Taika Waititi and the rest of Jojo Rabbit’s cast and crew will follow in his footsteps.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Irishman officially 3 and half hours lol

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Irishman officially 3 and half hours lol

Silence 2.0 confirmed?

cracker of whips, bringer of jocks
    Participant
    Topics:

Can anyone else support this claim? He’s in my 5th spot, but I’m not sure about him. I feel like he’s already got a decent amount of attention and hype (thought the hype is probably more from general viewers than voters) for playing Hitler. Maybe I’m just predicting him because I find the concept of a Jewish man being up for an Oscar playing Hitler hilarious. Anyone, someone let me know more specifics on his odds.

His performance is indeed the worst part of the film;, so much so that it clouds any redeeming qualities this film has tbh. It’s cringeworthy and the jokes simply aren’t funny to anyone beyond the age of eighteen.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Silence 2.0 confirmed?

If we get another Scorsese movie as good as Silence I honestly don’t care how it does with awards.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman premiering next week is a big branching point for the Oscars race

If it is a masterpiece and accessible

– It is the frontrunner.

– The narrative kicks in big time for all involved

– There’s no significantly large Academy demographic like with Roma that doesn’t vibe with it like Roma. If people vote against it in blocs, it’s purely because of Netflix politics.

– Netflix prioritises it over Marriage Story.

– Robert De Niro becomes the Best Actor frontrunner

– The Supporting Actor race gets filled

If it is inaccessible but good

– A strong narrative remains, but it is no frontrunner

– It does well at critics awards, but underperforms with industry awards

– Netflix shifts Marriage Story to the forefront, but keeps a little campaigning for it

– It probably still gets a Best Picture nomination and one for De Niro since this is an actors movie, but it isn’t this behemoth

If it underperforms in quality

– There will be a backlash critically

– Then audiences will say “eh it’s not THAT bad”, it will get high streaming numbers

– Second wave of reviews outside of the festival more favourable

– Netflix pushes Marriage Story way more than it

– The film gains underdog status despite being Scorcese

– This narrative leads to Netflix reprioritising it

– It overperforms on Oscar nominations because of this underdog status

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Suspecting Irishman wont get acting noms. All these peeps have played mobsters before. They are gonna reward the film’s ambition but not these men.

I just love movies. And awards.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman premiering next week is a big branching point for the Oscars race

If it is a masterpiece and accessible

– It is the frontrunner.

– The narrative kicks in big time for all involved

– There’s no significantly large Academy demographic like with Roma that doesn’t vibe with it like Roma. If people vote against it in blocs, it’s purely because of Netflix politics.

– Netflix prioritises it over Marriage Story.

– Robert De Niro becomes the Best Actor frontrunner

– The Supporting Actor race gets filled

If it is inaccessible but good

– A strong narrative remains, but it is no frontrunner

– It does well at critics awards, but underperforms with industry awards

– Netflix shifts Marriage Story to the forefront, but keeps a little campaigning for it

– It probably still gets a Best Picture nomination and one for De Niro since this is an actors movie, but it isn’t this behemoth

If it underperforms in quality

– There will be a backlash critically

– Then audiences will say “eh it’s not THAT bad”, it will get high streaming numbers

– Second wave of reviews outside of the festival more favourable

– Netflix pushes Marriage Story way more than it

– The film gains underdog status despite being Scorcese

– This narrative leads to Netflix reprioritising it

– It overperforms on Oscar nominations because of this underdog status

Again stop being overexcited and wait for the movie for god’s sake!

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Again stop being overexcited and wait for the movie for god’s sake!

I am not really pro-Irishman in hype, and wish Scorcese would make more arthouse non-commercial stuff like Silence in his late career instead of trying to make more gangster films.

One of those scenarios is literally the film underperforming critically. Regardless of quality and merit, I think this is the kind of film that gets a Best Picture nomination.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Suspecting Irishman wont get acting noms. All these peeps have played mobsters before. They are gonna reward the film’s ambition but not these men.

I think Pacino will be nominated. He’s the one who caught my eye the most in the trailer. It looks like he’s gonna have a big, juicy part, and since this is Pacino we’re talking about, I think he’ll hit it out of the park.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.