Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 339 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
11 hours ago
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
John Berchmans
PJ Edwards
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Everything looks bad in Harriet. The production, the costumes, the script, the acting.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Me too. Can’t wait. It’s time for people to wake up and drop Erivo and Awkwafina. They were and are never happening, unless only as poc.

Awkwafina’s film has a 90 MC and a successful box office run so nah.

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Vindicated.

Not to be rude, but: were people really thinking a comedy featuring Hitler as an imaginary friend was really going to be good? Chaplin would never.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Harriet will be just fine .. its going to like Mary Queen of scots .. middle of road .. its not going to be 12 years a salve

But Mary Queen of Scots didn’t go anywhere. A complete fail

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Awkwafina’s film has a 90 MC and a successful box office run so nah.

Not good enough. The buzz is completely gone, and A24 has a stronger contender with Waves (and probably The Lighthouse). The Farewell will do well at the Globes, and nowhere else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

“Successful box office run” chile.. it did $16M, that’s even less than The Wife and Awkwafina is nowhere near Glenn Close’s status

The only thing that could save The Farewell is a strong critical support. Otherwise it’s just meager bo numbers, unfriendly release date and lack of industry clout for Awkwafina

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought the Farewell will do at least Moonlight numbers. It didn’t, too bad. AWkwafina will probably make the long 7 nominees Best Actress list at the Critics Choice and a Comedy globe nom but her campaign ends there.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Not good enough. The buzz is completely gone, and A24 has a stronger contender with Waves (and probably The Lighthouse). The Farewell will do well at the Globes, and nowhere else.

Waves has 85MC and already has a mixed review. Not sure how it is stronger. Lighthouse isnt going anywhere near Oscar except maybe Dafoe.

I thought the Farewell will do at least Moonlight numbers. It didn’t, too bad. AWkwafina will probably make the long 7 nominees Best Actress list at the Critics Choice and a Comedy globe nom but her campaign ends there.

So because it didnt make as much as a film that literally won BP, it’s not going to go anywhere? You can scratch a ton of films off the list if that is the new standard.

It had 88k per theater opening which is better then Avengers Endgame.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  PJ Edwards.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Hector Raskolnikov
    Participant
    Topics:

Your guys still underestimating Uncut Gems, that will be the main push of the A24 this season… Seeing the flops of Jojo Rabit and The Goldfinch, i’m almost putting it in my prediction for Best Picture nomination (Sandler i already putting there in Best Actor).

It gonna be the surprise of this awards season. Safdie Brothers bless.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Vindicated. Not to be rude, but: were people really thinking a comedy featuring Hitler as an imaginary friend was really going to be good? Chaplin would never.

To be fair, I had been told that the film featured a strong anti-hate message, and also treated the dark moments respectively. Also, it looked like it shared a similarity with The Producers (which features an Oscar winning screenplay), in that it was making Nazis look stupid and ridiculous. I specifically remember a quote about The Producers, saying that while other anti-Nazi films such as American History X have been embraced by the people it’s criticizing, The Producers has never been since it portrays them as utterly laughable losers. I thought Jojo Rabbit could’ve followed in those footsteps. Also, without spoiling anything, there’s another unrelated film that came out this year that was able to do what The Producers did long ago, although this time, with a different group of awful people. I’m guessing most everyone who saw it knows which film I’m referring to.

ReplyCopy URL
    Josh5890
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s add a little alternate universe prediction flavour to welcome the new thread What would you be predicting as the Best Picture nominees for this year if it was only five nominees? 

Alphabetically:

Ford v Ferrari

The Irishman

Joker

Marriage Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s add a little alternate universe prediction flavour to welcome the new thread What would you be predicting as the Best Picture nominees for this year if it was only five nominees

Alphabetically

The Irishman

Little Women

Marriage Story

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

ReplyCopy URL
    Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker
    Hollywood
    Marriage Story
    Parasite
    The Two Popes

ReplyCopy URL
    gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story

Joker

The Irishman

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

ReplyCopy URL
    Yal
    Participant
    Topics:

Waves and Just Mercy are not happening
    Flopansson is a mediocre actress, she’ll be fine with the nod, she’s not winning.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.