Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 495 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Disney has already started it’s campaign, and they will be loud. It will be nominated. https://www.google.com/amp/s/movieweb.com/amp/avengers-endgame-oscars-campaign-disney/

No it won’t. Joker’s nearly a lock, and there is no way we’ll get two comic book movies nominated in the same year. Plus, no one’s actually talking about Endgame’s oscar potential the same way they were for Black Panther last year. And I’m saying this as someone who stanned Endgame hard on these forums for a while.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Eric Darling
    Participant
    Topics:

Noone can beat Michael Stuhlbarg who appeared in 3 best picture nominees: Call me by your name, Ladybird and The Post

1) Stuhlbarg appeared in Call Me By Your Name, The Post and The Shape of Water, not Ladybird

2) A handful of other actors have been in 3 Best Picture nominees: John C. Reilly did it in 2002 (Chicago, Gangs of New York and The Hours), while there were a number of them in the 30s (Claudette Colbert, Charles Laughton, Adolph Menjou and Thomas Mitchell)

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

No it won’t. Joker’s nearly a lock, and there is no way we’ll get two comic book movies nominated in the same year. Plus, no one’s actually talking about Endgame’s oscar potential the same way they were for Black Panther last year. And I’m saying this as someone who stanned Endgame hard on these forums for a while.

Right now, I don’t think either film is getting nominated. I believe Endgame (which deserves a nomination) is seen as too much of a comic book blockbuster to be embraced by the Academy, while Joker will be too divisive to overcome comic book bias, even if it it’s a fresh take on the genre.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Right now, I don’t think either film is getting nominated. I believe Endgame (which deserves a nomination) is seen as too much of a comic book blockbuster to be embraced by the Academy, while Joker will be too divisive to overcome comic book bias, even if it it’s a fresh take on the genre.

Being divisive won’t be a problem of it plays to the right audience. The majority of critics really love this film, and I think the same will be true for academy voters. Plus, controversy has had very little effect on Oscar results the last two years.

For Your Consideration.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Top Contenders for Cinematography?

Ad Astra looks amazing.

What are some more?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Roger Deakins comes to mind, irrespective of the film’s reception.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Top Contenders for Cinematography?

Ad Astra looks amazing.

What are some more?

1917 is the dominant frontrunner thanks to it’s one-shot nature and the fact that Roger Deakins is no longer cursed thanks to Blade Runner 2049. A Hidden Life and The Lighthouse are also safe bets right now, the former because Terrence Malick films almost always get in, and the latter because it’s filmed in such a clever and unique way. The last two nominees will probably be Picture nomineees: my bets right now are on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman.

For Your Consideration.

MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the technical/craft categories should be added to the center now.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Being divisive won’t be a problem of it plays to the right audience. The majority of critics really love this film, and I think the same will be true for academy voters. Plus, controversy has had very little effect on Oscar results the last two years.

“Really love” is a strong word for a film that’s literally on the edge of going to the 60s on MC.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

“Really love” is a strong word for a film that’s literally on the edge of going to the 60s on MC.

What I mean is that all the critics who like it are giving it 9’s or 10’s. For comparison, Jojo Rabbit is 1% higher than Joker on Rotten Tommatoes bur 17 points lower on metacritic, meaning the critics who like it don’t like it nearly as much as the ones who like Joker. Both will still be nominated for Picture regardless.

For Your Consideration.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

1917 is the dominant frontrunner thanks to it’s one-shot nature and the fact that Roger Deakins is no longer cursed thanks to Blade Runner 2049. A Hidden Life and The Lighthouse are also safe bets right now, the former because Terrence Malick films almost always get in, and the latter because it’s filmed in such a clever and unique way. The last two nominees will probably be Picture nomineees: my bets right now are on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman.

You are missing Ford vs Ferrari. Hidden Life is not getting in. Malick films havent been nominated since tree of life lol

Mr. Tintin
    Participant
    Topics:

Roger Deakins comes to mind, irrespective of the film’s reception.

I think Avengers: EndgameOnce Upon A Time In Hollywood, and Parasite seem solid as contenders. I’m holding out on 1917 till its release.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

LegendOfMatt
    Participant
    Topics:

Lucy in the Sky currently has a 35 on Metacritic, so if you still have it in your predictions, I would suggest swapping it out. Too bad, I thought it had some potential.

MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Avengers: Endgame, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and Parasite seem solid as contenders. I’m holding out on 1917 till its release.

Endgame for Cinematography? That’s not gonna happen. Flat out, probably not even a top 15 contender for that category. The reason being probably, the Cinematography branch voters aren’t gonna go for Marvel Studio’s brand of cinematography. Not even Rachel Morrison’s Panther camera work was honored, even at the guild-awards level.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Irishman officially 3 and half hours lol

Coming to flop all across the board.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.