Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

Oscars 2020 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 306 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
11 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
PJ Edwards
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Harriet is getting mixed reviews.

1)”HARRIET: Cynthia Erivo more than proves that she can carry a story and character of this scale — but even that isn’t enough to add rhythm to a bland, conventional biopic. Janelle Monáe continues to be a bright (underused) spark in every project she’s in. #TIFF19″

2) “Harriet (2019, Kasi Lemmons)

Cynthia Erivo is so damn POWERFUL as Harriet Tubman. The movie gets more generic and repetitive as it goes on but has enough drama and action to keep you going. #TIFF19″

3)”Tho I’m glad that I’ve now watched a biopic about the great historical figure, Harriet Tubman, unfortunately #Harriet #HarrietMovie was generic, badly written, & quite boring.
    Harriet’s story deserves a more cinematic & more compelling depiction than this
    #TIFF2019 #TIFF #TIFF19”

4)”HARRIET, the first film about Harriet Tubman, may not garner raves or make much money—we’ll see—but it confirms that British actress Cynthia Erivo, a standout on stage in musicals, is also a standout on film in nonmusicals. And Janelle Monae continues to act as well as she sings.”

• This reply was modified 5 days, 13 hours ago by  Victor Cruz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Harriet is getting mixed reviews. 1)”HARRIET: Cynthia Erivo more than proves that she can carry a story and character of this scale — but even that isn’t enough to add rhythm to a bland, conventional biopic. Janelle Monáe continues to be a bright (underused) spark in every project she’s in. #TIFF19″ 2) “Harriet (2019, Kasi Lemmons) Cynthia Erivo is so damn POWERFUL as Harriet Tubman. The movie gets more generic and repetitive as it goes on but has enough drama and action to keep you going. #TIFF19″ 3)”Tho I’m glad that I’ve now watched a biopic about the great historical figure, Harriet Tubman, unfortunately #Harriet #HarrietMovie was generic, badly written, & quite boring. Harriet’s story deserves a more cinematic & more compelling depiction than this #TIFF2019 #TIFF #TIFF19” 4)”HARRIET, the first film about Harriet Tubman, may not garner raves or make much money—we’ll see—but it confirms that British actress Cynthia Erivo, a standout on stage in musicals, is also a standout on film in nonmusicals. And Janelle Monae continues to act as well as she sings.”

This basically confirms everything you can see in that damn trailer. Generic as hell

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Zellweger singing “Over The Rainbow”

https://youtu.be/b7R6EaE9YbE

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

More Harriet reviews from #TIFF

“I saw #Harriet months back during a test screening, so my review is unofficial. But I found it overall meh, some of the writing is very not good. Cynthia Erivo is solid but outshined in her own film by Leslie Odom Jr. and Henry Hunter Hall, who steal *every* scene they’re in.” – DavidPalmer41

“Cynthia Erivo is simply stunning in #Harriet. #TIFF2019 #TIFF19”- @guitardawn

ReplyCopy URL
    RealLyre852
    Participant
    Topics:

Zellweger is getting a standing ovation. she will def be a player in the actress, even if the film itself doesn’t go anywhere else.

https://twitter.com/jenelleriley/status/1171578210414407681?s=20

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Alright, I’m gonna put Awkwafina back into my predictions. Erivo’s getting some nice notices, but the film itself isn’t. Erivo could still potentially make it in, but she really needed raves for her performance to overcome the lack of passion for the movie as a whole.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Alright, I’m gonna put Awkwafina back into my predictions. Erivo’s getting some nice notices, but the film itself isn’t. Erivo could still potentially make it in, but she really needed raves for her performance to overcome the lack of passion for the movie as a whole.

This is an awful take because she has both in spades.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

I might have missed something, but where did “Where’d You Go, Bernadette” go? It’s not in the predictions center at all anymore. I know it received mixed reviews, but I still think it may have a chance somewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

This is an awful take because she has both in spades.

There’s literally posts in this forum showing that Harriet currently has mixed reviews. While Erivo’s reviews so far are definitely good, I wouldn’t say she’s currently getting raves. And when you’re a newcomer (to film) in a movie that’s not being well received, you’re probably gonna need excellent notices in order to get nominated. I swapped Awkwafina back in over Erivo because right now, her odds look much better. Like Erivo, Awkwafina received strong reviews for her performance. Unlike Erivo, Awkwafina’s film was met with critical acclaim. Also, while they’re both just recently making their marks on cinema, Awkwafina is definitely the better known name, and Crazy Rich Asians probably gives her more goodwill in the industry than Widows or Bad Times at the El Royale give Erivo. And while The Farewell has a few doubters when it comes to its chances at the Oscars, it still has many people predicting it for several above the line categories such as Picture, Screenplay, Supporting Actress, and Awkwafina in Actress. Erivo is the only thing in Harriet that a decent amount of people are currently predicting. I’m not saying Erivo can’t get in, but these early reactions don’t indicate that she’s gonna be getting the support that she needs.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Zellweger singing “Over The Rainbow” https://youtu.be/b7R6EaE9YbE

Zellweger sounds lovely. Roxie’s still got it.

ReplyCopy URL
    MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

What do people make of Knives Out chances, I see some of the experts putting it in their predictions.

I am looking forward to the film, but the film gives off the vibe from the trailers of the type of critically acclaimed comedy that want be Oscar contender. Giving me the vibes of a Edgar Wright film like Baby Driver or Shaun of the Dead. Doesn’t necessarily seem like a awards film, but then again, that cast as some heavy hitters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Fine, I’ll admit I made a bad prediction. I was hyping up the film’s Actress chances more so on the basis of Harriet Tubman being great subject matter than any loyalty to Cynthia Erivo (I am not familiar with her work)

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do my forum games!

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/72nd-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game-nominated-but-not-for-best-picture/

https://www.goldderby.com/forum/games-lets-play-games/81st-oscars-runner-up-5-elimination-game/

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

The only way a brilliant dark 70s movie like Joker could get made by a studio today was to hitch a ride on established IP. This isn’t about DC. It’s about chaos. And Joaquin Phoenix deserves an Oscar run. So do the craftspeople who made this impeccably crafted movie. #TIFF2019
    @akstanwyck
    https://twitter.com/akstanwyck/status/1171484974995738624

Always loved when Ledger’s Joker would give different backstories while never really giving audience anything solid to chew on, backstory-wise. Pure chaos. With Phoenix’s Joker, it’s interesting to reflect back. Both equally masterful performances that compliment each other.
    @KevinMcCarthyTV
    https://twitter.com/KevinMcCarthyTV/status/1171507621854990338

JOKER surpasses the hype. Bleak, disturbing, intense, loud, ambitious and shockingly violent. It’s a character study through and through, and easily the best thing Phillips has ever done. Phoenix is spectacular, chilling and brilliant. You won’t be able to look away. #TIFF19
    @davemabaldwin
    https://twitter.com/davemabaldwin/status/1171493907688914944

#Joker is one of the most frightening movies I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine anyone winning over Joaquin at this point. The score by Hildur Guonadottir is haunting. Todd Phillips is such a versatile director. I definitely see the Taxi Driver comparisons. #TIFF19
    @DCfilmgirl
    https://twitter.com/DCfilmgirl/status/1171487973084282881

JOKER was first time in a while where I couldn’t find words to describe how I felt as the last frame rolled. Sat frozen & stunned.

15-hours later, I’m still dissecting Phillips’ disturbing, horrifying yet intensely thought-provoking masterpiece.

Phoenix’s best performance. ❤️🎥
    @KevinMcCarthyTV
    https://twitter.com/KevinMcCarthyTV/status/1171488951439245312

The Joker and Joaquin continue to get raves from TIFF.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

What do people make of Knives Out chances, I see some of the experts putting it in their predictions. I am looking forward to the film, but the film gives off the vibe from the trailers of the type of critically acclaimed comedy that want be Oscar contender. Giving me the vibes of a Edgar Wright film like Baby Driver or Shaun of the Dead. Doesn’t necessarily seem like a awards film, but then again, that cast as some heavy hitters.

I think it’s only change right now is in Original Screenplay, and that seems like it would only happen if Waves’ buzz completely dies or if Ford v Ferrari gets moved. It looks like a great movie, but not a major Oscar player.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Fine, I’ll admit I made a bad prediction. I was hyping up the film’s Actress chances more so on the basis of Harriet Tubman being great subject matter than any loyalty to Cynthia Erivo (I am not familiar with her work)

Honestly, it’s shame that Harriet apparently didn’t come out that well. I’m not a big Erivo fan, but Harriet Tubman deserved to have her story in a better film.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 306 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.