Home Forums Movies Oscars 2020: Screener Psychology – What benefits from screeners?

Oscars 2020: Screener Psychology – What benefits from screeners?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
M: The Original
babypook
Cordelia
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

As of today, it is now November. Screener season isn’t here yet, but it will be soon. With the advent of the screener comes a unique facet to Oscars theorising – Screener Psychology. Basically, Screener Psychology comes down to a few questions on the nature of screeners, what films benefit, and what films don’t benefit.

• What films will be the most-watched screeners?
    • What films will be the most-ignored screeners?
    • What films have the most appealing subject matter for the screener environment?
    • What films have the least appealing subject matter for the screener environment?
    • What films benefit from being on a TV as a screener?
    • What films lose from being on a TV as a screener?
    • What films will be watched in families around Thanksgiving/Christmas?
    • What screeners will men prefer to women?*
    • What screeners will women prefer to men?*
    • What films will gain a boost from screener buzz?
    • What films will lose momentum from bad screener buzz?

These are some broad questions, but the environment of a screener is key. Voters receive so many of these, and they are watching with less-than-cinema setups, so technical achievements do not gain from this environment. Films that might be too edgy or confronting often get skipped over, as well as films voters aren’t interested in seeing. Also, the time of year – Thanksgiving to early 2020 – is a time where family members will potentially be over, creating a communal element to film choices.

So what are your answers to my hypothetical questions? Are there any important questions I forgot to ask?

*Yeah, I know this is a slightly reductive way at looking at gender, but I’m focusing on Academy demographics.

• This topic was modified 11 months ago by Cordelia.
    • This topic was modified 11 months ago by Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Parasite for all its cinematic grandeur will play well on home video.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Iv e had a few members tell me they don’t have time to watch all of the screeners, so if they’re responsible at all they’re going to reach for the most critically acclaimed .
    I agree that Parasite should benefit. And Marriage Story. They’re also more likely to reach for their favorite genres.

As for the gender preferences, I can’t answer that, but there’s a good chance films like Frozen2 will play well .
    Little Women should benefit from all sides.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Time to answer my own questions

What films will be the most-watched screeners?

Probably Netflix’s films, since they are the biggest contenders and will have less cinema showings. Marriage Story in particular would seem like a film that will be chosen. The Irishman will benefit from pause buttons/toilet breaks. Outside of that, I will say… Jojo Rabbit because it’s a PG-13 movie with a recognisable cast and controversy attached (Green Book teas)

What films will be the most-ignored screeners?

Probably most foreign films that don’t have cross-pollination with other categories. For US films, Clemency and Luce might get ignored due to campaigns that are lowkey and confronting subject matter in a way that isn’t designed to ultimately make you feel good.

What films have the most appealing subject matter for the screener environment?

Ford V Ferrari has a “beer with your father/grandfather” appeal to it that will work, and while there is a degree of car racing spectacle, a laid-back non-cinema environment will work. Personal dramas such as Marriage Story will benefit.

What films have the least appealing subject matter for the screener environment?

See my earlier comments on Luce and Clemency.

What films benefit from being on a TV as a screener?

Parasite. It’s well-shot, yet not in a way that relies on scale. The small, detailed settings of that movie would work well. Also, long movies actually benefit a lot – pause buttons. Scorcese probably owes the remote control a thanks for the votes that will get.

What films lose from being on a TV as a screener?

1917’s grand spectacle and cinematography will lose a lot. What little Avengers Endgame buzz for Best Picture there is should account for the fact that movie is a lot less fun when not in a big cinema with an audience that cheers the big crowd-pleaser moments.

What films will be watched in families around Thanksgiving/Christmas?

• Families with young children? Frozen II or Toy Story 4.
    • Teens? Jojo Rabbit, maybe Marriage Story if the parents are being a little edgier (I know that’s R, but seems like a soft R). Requests to watch Joker will cause heated discussions. A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood might do well for families wanting a relaxing time.
    • Adults? The Irishman will be proposed by the father. The adult child might ask for Parasite or Once Upon A Time In Hollywood or Knives Out. The weirdo adult child agrees with Parasite, but is more down for The Lighthouse or Uncut Gems.* Older families might go for Little Women or Ford V Ferrari depending on the gender dynamics.

*I’m weirdo child.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.