Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actor (Part 11)

Oscars 2021: Best Actor (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
VedanthM
Ghost
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 11.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I hope people don’t attack Anthony over this because he was so deserving. So was Chadwick. Those great performances can co-exist at the same time and won’t take away from the amazing legacies they both will undoubtedly leave.

I personally blame whoever was behind the arrangement of the order because that was a clusterfuckery.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

SO DESERVED!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Anthony deserved this, he’s the best Best Actor in a long time.
    Boseman was done dirty by the production of the show.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series, THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES.
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

If the Oscars were held in accordance to the old schedule (in February or early March), Chadwick would have easily won

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I hope people don’t attack Anthony over this because he was so deserving. So was Chadwick. Those great performances can co-exist at the same time and won’t take away from the amazing legacies they both will undoubtedly leave.

I personally blame whoever was behind the arrangement of the order because that was a clusterfuckery.

I don’t think a lot of people are attacking Sir Hopkins. People are definitely calling out the Oscar producers for using Chadwick for ratings. Has there ever been a case where the acting categories were televised last? Obvious pandering and overhyping for ratings. Very tacky.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

Signs were there.

Since 2018, especially after Colman’s win – Oscars have made it clear that they don’t care so much about the narrative. Didn’t help that The Father came out late and his performance was fresh in everyone’s mind. The ballots made it clear

‘I am sure people will vote for Chadwick, so I will vote for the performance I love’ was a recipe for disaster. So if you are best picture nominee + your performance is universally loved = you will triumph all odds.

The producers though did him so wrong. Shitty of them to mileage on his death till the very end.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    bicak
    Topics:

Chadwick didn’t have body of work deserving of Oscar. His performance was inferior to Hopkins and Ahmed’s. He was contending for a BP-snubbed Netflix movie. People keep sleeping on the severe bias towards Netflix. It keeps making millions, of which none goes to the industry (except for the people working for the movie of course). Laura Dern remains the only acting win for it, and she won it based on name-check and in supporting with 0 competition.
    Boseman was never losing SAG. His fellow actors would never deny honoring him, even if Hopkins had won Globe which I’m certain he would have had there not been backlash. But that’s purely a personal assumption. There were lots of red flags surrounding Boseman, yet none when it came to Hopkins. 0 surprises here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m really torn, Boseman can’t ever win now, but Hopkins also gave one of the most powerful performances I’ve seen in years which so many families can and will relate to. I can consider both of his wins iconic.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

This is actually an outcome I think is possible, although it’s only pointless hypothesizing at this point. Netflix was able to get Dern that sweep last year in a more compacted season even after the film itself lost considerable steam kind of like they did with MRBB and every other contender they distributed, maybe I should be thanking God that BAFTA didn’t pull an upset on my girl too lol

He won all the precursors till SAG. Starting then he lost BAFTA to Hopkins, Spirit to Ahmed. People thought he was awarded and wanted to move on acknowledging other performances, didn’t help that The Father started to garner heat and was nominated across board (compared to Ma Rainey)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

I’m upset with Boseman losing, but I have to hand it to Sony Pictures Classics. Their campaign strategy was pretty genius. Had they released The Father earlier during the season, let’s say in November or in December, then I’m convinced Boseman would’ve won this Oscar. Boseman’s passing would’ve factored in voters’ votes more than their love for Hopkins’ performance.

It’s just the fact that The Father came out in March and Hopkins was this underdog contender, whereas Boseman was seen as the unstoppable frontrunner for months and months, that motivated people to vote for their favorite performance and not for the heavy favorite to win the award. Had The Father come out earlier in the season, Hopkins wouldn’t have been seen as the underdog as he was because of its late March release.

I’m left in an emotional conundrum. Hopkins in The Father is easily the best Best Actor winner since Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood, but Chadwick Boseman would’ve also made for an all-time great winner and him winning would’ve been an all-time great moment and, not to mention, this is it for Boseman. He’ll forever be an Oscar nominee and never an Oscar winner. Shame on the producers for recklessly choosing to end with Best Actor, which backfired and gave us a terribly distasteful ending to the ceremony.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COHpbqpHcqY/?igshid=15uzfnuy1o0e4

Love his speech, so dignified and humble as always.

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

I have never seen so much dumping on Hopkins on the internet before – only  because of his win. Yikes.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.