Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
Milk Money
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

One final thread for this topic.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Getting ready for Oscar no.5 next year:

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

The way Frances came through with no type of campaigning is a choice.

Andra, Carey and Viola really worked their tails off to win that Oscar.

I think the recency of her BAFTA win + the fact that her movie was such a big player at the Oscars + the fragmented race really worked in her favor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder if Frances would have won BAFTA with Mulligan and Davis nominated.

I don’t think she won because she won BAFTA. I think she won because academy voters genuinely liked her performance and this was an open race and she was in the BP winner. A bit like Bong Joon Ho in directing last year. This was the logic I used to predict Mulligan (except I obviously wasn’t daft enough to predict PYW in Picture lol I stayed with Nomadland) but it makes more sense that McDormand was the one who did this instead.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Promising young woman was legit the “Get Out” of this season down to even winning the same award.

Real question is will Mulligan catch a role this juicy again. Seems like this was her oscar to lose and   all she could muster was that bfca.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I wonder if Frances would have won BAFTA with Mulligan and Davis nominated.

I believe she would.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Real question is will Mulligan catch a role this juicy again.

She’s got two big projects coming out in 2022 (a mystery thriller and a Bradley Cooper helmed biopic about Leonard Bernstein where she plays his wife) so the answer is yes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I believe she would.

I do too. But I meant more that I wonder how much her BAFTA win gave her a boost in support. Sorry for the mis-phrasing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Looked back, and of those 17 lead nominated films Meryl has, a total of…2 won something outside of herself. Out of Africa (and they weren’t gonna hand her a 3rd Oscar for under a decade onscreen) and The Iron Lady.

Frances, like Katharine’s repeat wins, won while her Best Picture nominee got another major Oscar. I wonder what lead roles there are that Meryl turned down because they were less baity but their movies ended up more accoladed on the whole.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Most actors don’t even win for their best roles. Watch Mulligan win supporting for a basic wife role. The Oscars are basic hun. They barely give awards to interesting female characters.

I mean the last time an actress won for playing against type it was Theron in Monster.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I mean the last time an actress won for playing against type it was Theron in Monster.

Natalie Portman?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Natalie Portman was the last time I was legitimately excited for a Best Actress winner. Been too long. I am happy for Frances though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

Natalie Portman?

</p>
    Role was perfect for her, it fit her frigid acting style lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

She’s got two big projects coming out in 2022 (a mystery thriller and a Bradley Cooper helmed biopic about Leonard Bernstein where she plays his wife) so the answer is yes.

Those definitely seem like nom worthy roles, but dont seem as juicy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.