Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 151 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Not that serious. It’s literally just a reference to this meme.

I am one of the people who actually said that but by god that’s hysterically funny

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Darlings it’s May…

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Mulligan couldn’t even win the MTV award

Lol Rude.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

I’m sure she’s devastated lmao

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Tony nominated, 2 time Academy Award nominated and BAFTA winning actress Carey Mulligan finding out she lost the Marvel Television award.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Not yall seriously thinking girl was winning that award. The delusion. Girl was like, 3rd at best. Zendaya was most definitely the runner-up. Anyone who thought she was winning was on severe crack.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Rant Time:

I am so disappointed in Black Actors in Hollywood. Every year, I hear them crying about the acting categories. In times, they are justified in their rants but what about the other categories. I can’t name a single time I’ve heard a Black actor mention other fields in film and TV. Are there not Black writers, Black cinematographers, Black sound editors and mixers, Black stunt teams, Black Production designers, Black directors, or Black costume designers. It is so frustrating. Their obsessions with fame, being the center of attention, and being at the level of Whites has clouded their minds into believing they are the only important ones regarding filmmaking. There were 5 Black acting nominees this year. How many Black cinematographers were nominated? How many Black directors were nominated? How many Black writers were nominated? What about Black sound editors? As a Black writer myself, this makes my blood boil. We’re expected to fight for them but they will remain silent for us. This is straight bulls***

– I’m done ranting!

Black film writers usually carry the burden of addressing all the other areas aside from acting with a lack of Black recognition or diversity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

2 time Academy Award nominated and BAFTA winning actress Carey Mulligan finding out she lost the Marvel Television award.

She’s finished hun and her stans need to know that 💋

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

Exactly! She shouldn’t have to resort to supporting to win another Oscar! She deserves to win lead!!

I think we should first talk about the numerous black actors who don’t have an Oscar being recognized. Viola has nothing left to prove as she has won the Triple Crown of acting and is a GOAT. We need other people of colour to be recognized for their talent the way she was, not just her being rewarded again and again just because they like her. I mean SAG snubbed Regina King in 2018 and Andra Day this year, with much better performances and nominated Margot Robbie and Adams instead. Of course, if her performance is stellar, she should win a second but Ma Rainey’s was just not an Oscar worthy performance imho.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I’ll probably regret asking but why do you think this? I can understand being incredibly annoyed by her stans, and I can believe you don’t think she’s an interesting actress, but she’s already been cast in upcoming leading roles by awards magnate-type producers and/or directors and/or actors such as Cate Blanchett, Bradley Cooper, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg (although I’m unsure if the latter two took an active role in casting decisions on Maestro), and she’s “only” 35.  Is this another remark whose humor I’m missing or do you seriously think Carey Mulligan’s time as an Oscar nominated actress is “finished?” If so, why?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Is this another remark whose humor I’m missing

Pretty sure Methaddiction is joking they were rooting for Mulligan throughout the season.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Pretty sure Methaddiction is joking they were rooting for Mulligan throughout the season.

Thanks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

When I think more about this, it is such an inspiring win.

Like what our legend McDormand told us in her speeches,
    1997: “I congratulate producers for allowing directors to make autonomous casting decision based on qualification, not just market value”
    2018: “If I might be so honored to have all the female nominees in every categories stand with me in this room tonight”
    She goes on to pick a WOC with no previous name recognition to direct her movie. She talks the talk and walks the walk. She earns respect. That’s the reason she wins.
    2021: “I have no words. My voice’s in my sword. We know the sword is our work” All her sentence come in full circle. She does not need to campaign. Her choice and her work campaigned for her.

What McDormand, Colman, Moore and Bullock have collectively taught us the best way to win an Oscar or get ahead in life is to earn respect through every day work. You can’t stress. You can’t beg. It does not matter how many nominations you get, how good you look, how heavily you campaign. At the end of the day, it is all about respect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Just because someone claims to be black on message boards that doesn’t mean that they are.

doesn’t mean that they aren’t too.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.