Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 203 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel615
Milk Money
  • Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Random thoughts:

I believe that the McDormand win was paper thin. She may have won over Mulligan with just 5 votes.

I have never been a McDormand fan. In fact have not seen any of her Oscar winning roles. And I prob will not. The reason for this I think is that most of her movies are not my cup of tea. And also Im not a Coen brothers fan. I just dont get why their movies are so acclaimed.

Mississippi Burning, Laurel Canyon, North Country, Friends With Money, Almost Famous, Paradise Road, Short Cuts are the ones I have seen with McDormand. Frances was incredible in Mississippi Burning, Almost Famous, North Country and Laurel Canyon. But the things is I did not see the movies because of her. And in the end, she stole the movie from the actors I thought would rock it like Christian Bale, Charlize Theron, Kate Hudson, Gene Hackman)

Frances reminds me of Michael Douglas. Frances is very good at playing variations of the same character. Douglas is the best actor I can think of who can play variations of a man in a suit character (Fatal Attraction, The Game, Wall Street, Basic Instinct, Falling Down, A Perfect Murder, The President…etc)

The end 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I like this quote from the great Rita Moreno in a Rotten Tomatoes interview of her published today in conjunction with the release of the new documentary about her:

“I was hoping that Carey Mulligan would win [Best Actress at the 2021 Academy Awards]. No offense to the lady who won, because she’s just fabulous, and she certainly earned it. It’s not that. But Carey Mulligan did, too. She’s such a controlled actress. She can really hang on and there’s something about somebody who’s playing a bad guy or girl who doesn’t give it all out. That’s very impressive. That’s hard to do, because I remember one of the scenes, one of the first guys, when he says, “You know what happened? Can I apologize?” Or something like that, and she says, “No.” It’s not, “No, you can.” It’s, “No.” She’s marvelous. I think she’s a fabulous actress, but there’s lots of those.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I like this quote from the great Rita Moreno in a Rotten Tomatoes interview of her published today in conjunction with the release of the new documentary about her: “I was hoping that Carey Mulligan would win [Best Actress at the 2021 Academy Awards]. No offense to the lady who won, because she’s just fabulous, and she certainly earned it. It’s not that. But Carey Mulligan did, too. She’s such a controlled actress. She can really hang on and there’s something about somebody who’s playing a bad guy or girl who doesn’t give it all out. That’s very impressive. That’s hard to do, because I remember one of the scenes, one of the first guys, when he says, “You know what happened? Can I apologize?” Or something like that, and she says, “No.” It’s not, “No, you can.” It’s, “No.” She’s marvelous. I think she’s a fabulous actress, but there’s lots of those.”

I love this!

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Oh god, not this thread again. The race is over. Some fans need to let it go. Frances won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Oh god, not this thread again. The race is over. Some fans need to let it go. Frances won.

To quote Rita Moreno, McDormand “earned” her win and was “just fabulous,” but some of us think it is interesting to know her opinion of Mulligan’s work. Many of us think that there were multiple performances by lead actresses this past year that were Oscar worthy— we have nothing to “let go.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

To quote Rita Moreno, McDormand “earned” her win and was “just fabulous,” but some of us think it is interesting to know her opinion of Mulligan’s work. Many of us think that there were multiple performances by lead actresses this past year that were Oscar worthy— we have nothing to “let go.”

Mulligan lost. Frances won. Time to move on. This thread should die already.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

It’s called a discussion board. If you are no longer interested in this thread, (or the hundreds of other threads on GoldDerby that discuss prior Oscar races), just skip it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In all fairness it wasn’t Rachel615 who resurrected this thread. So maybe you should apply this to others (such as those who posted a bunch of Mulligan drags on the previous page) instead of “some fans” simply posting something an Academy Award winner said about this year’s Oscars.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

When the nominees were first announced, I was predicting Mulligan. I switched to Davis after she won SAG, then to McDormand when she won BAFTA. I then switched back to Mulligan at the last minute when I saw the results of the “anonymous ballots” thread.

In hindsight, I should’ve known better than to predict anybody other than McDormand. The Academy seems to REALLY love her when she’s in a lead role. That’s why she won every time she was nominated in lead, and ONLY when she was nominated in lead. Every time she was nominated in supporting, she lost.

Next time McDormand is nominated (and trust me, there WILL be a next time), I’ll predict her for the win if it’s in lead, and anybody BUT her if it’s in supporting. It will take a truly undeniable lead performance from somebody else, or a truly undeniable supporting performance from McDormand for me to walk back that decision.

They liked 3 Billboards and being overdue for a 2nd win 21 years after your first — Nomadland was the little prestige movie that could in a dead season due to the pandemic. Her win in Best Actress was about her anchoring a movie she produced positioned for best picture — also her field was too divided to lose to a viable rival.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan should’ve won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Andra Day cleared all of the other nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

This is true but I don’t know why I feel so bitter about her win. She was excellent (I re watched it, truly moving work that I ended up liking it better) and part of me thinks that she deserves it. But her past two wins were not done at all, maybe for 3BB but Fargo! I am so sad that Brenda or Emily didn’t win. And the fact that they are no longer nominated for anything. I know Frances isn’t to blame, but she has never wowed me with her performances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Andra Day cleared all of the other nominees.

Yet she couldn’t even win anything other than an award from a now defunct group.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

They liked 3 Billboards and being overdue for a 2nd win 21 years after your first — Nomadland was the little prestige movie that could in a dead season due to the pandemic. Her win in Best Actress was about her anchoring a movie she produced positioned for best picture — also her field was too divided to lose to a viable rival.

Thank you. As much as I adore Frances it’s clear the 3 of her wins were based on the popularity her films had during campaign, all of them were positioned as bp contenders (Fargo and 3BB were probably #2 place in bp). When she was in weaker movies she lost. So it’s not like she’s winning for every project she drops despite the popularity with actors, her career renaissance and ofc the talent. There’s just too much involved in Oscar race to think someone wins by default like that lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Yet she couldn’t even win anything other than an award from a now defunct group.

And yet it still beats a CC win.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.