Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 203 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel615
Milk Money
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I mean, yeah you could argue that Emerald did more work than Carey did and basically created PYW (I think this is what y’all are saying please correct me if I’m wrong) and I wouldn’t even fully disagree with you. I guess what I’m trying to ask is why would you want to reward Emerald and not Carey? Cause yeah, Carey didn’t write the script or direct the film, but she and Emerald have talked about how they basically created an entire backstory for Nina and Cassie’s friendship and everything that happened with Nina. It’s just not revealed in the film in any way. And part of the reason the film works as well as it does to begin with is because of Carey. I know there’s people who like to say that anyone could’ve played Cassie, but I just can’t for the life of me imagine anyone else in that role doing as good a job (I’ve tried to do it and I just can’t picture it). This is also coming from someone whose favorite film of 2020 was Promising Young Woman. It had the same effect that Parasite had on me in that it hit me like a ton of bricks (not in a sad way) and I wanted more of it. Now maybe I’m biased cause I would go as far as to say Carey gave the best performance of that year (yes, I think she was better than Hopkins in The Father, shut up), but idk, I just don’t really understand giving Emerald an Oscar and not Carey. Or even vice versa for that matter. Why reward one and not the other?

As popular as Promising Young Woman was, Nomadland was simply more popular with multiple wins including the two biggest prizes of the evening. Fennell’s only competition was already Oscar-winner Aaron Sorkin, for a film that has pretty much lost all its buzz by the time of the ceremony and under-performed all together with the nominations (no Director mention, only one acting nomination etc.).

So Carey got unlucky for having to fight with the strongest and most popular film’s leading lady and two other women (Day & Davis) who won more important & buzzed awards than her. I think it was extremely close (I’d say Carey was second, Viola was third, and Andra was fourth, but the voting was really close).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

As popular as Promising Young Woman was, Nomadland was simply more popular with multiple wins including the two biggest prizes of the evening. Fennell’s only competition was already Oscar-winner Aaron Sorkin, for a film that has pretty much lost all its buzz by the time of the ceremony and under-performed all together with the nominations (no Director mention, only one acting nomination etc.). So Carey got unlucky for having to fight with the strongest and most popular film’s leading lady and two other women (Day & Davis) who won more important & buzzed awards than her. I think it was extremely close (I’d say Carey was second, Viola was third, and Andra was fourth, but the voting was really close).

I get that the competition was tough, and yeah, it’s unfortunate that Carey had to compete with all of them in that way, but it still just doesn’t make sense to me. Again, it’s like saying that you think Parasite deserved Best Picture but Bong Joon-ho didn’t deserve Best Director. I just can’t wrap my mind around the idea that one is necessarily more deserving of her awards than the other. Am I off base? Maybe, cause I know a couple people who think PYW was the best movie of 2020 or the best of the nominees but would give Actress to McDormand (or Carrie Coon for The Nest in the case of one of them) and that just doesn’t make sense to me.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I get that the competition was tough, and yeah, it’s unfortunate that Carey had to compete with all of them in that way, but it still just doesn’t make sense to me. Again, it’s like saying that you think Parasite deserved Best Picture but Bong Joon-ho didn’t deserve Best Director. I just can’t wrap my mind around the idea that one is necessarily more deserving of her awards than the other. Am I off base? Maybe, cause I know a couple people who think PYW was the best movie of 2020 or the best of the nominees but would give Actress to McDormand (or Carrie Coon for The Nest in the case of one of them) and that just doesn’t make sense to me.

Not sure that I entirely get the Bong-Parasite / Carey example here. Bong was indeed = Parasite, but Promising Young Woman isn’t equal with only Carey. It’s also equal with Fennell who has written and directed the film. The two women had to share the spotlight, unlike Bong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Not sure that I entirely get the Bong-Parasite / Carey example here. Bong was indeed = Parasite, but Promising Young Woman isn’t equal with only Carey. It’s also equal with Fennell who has written and directed the film. The two women had to share the spotlight, unlike Bong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Maybe a better comparison would be Birdman with Inarritu and Michael Keaton. I’ve always found it weird that Birdman won four Oscars including Picture and Keaton didn’t come along with it. Like, I know that Eddie Redmayne gives a baitty performance, but I just can’t help but think that Keaton is a huge part of why that film works so well, and he had to share the spotlight with Inarritu. So if you’re gonna give Inarritu three Oscars for the film (one of them was as a producer, but still) why not give Keaton one as well? I know PYW didn’t win Picture, obviously, but if you’re gonna give something to Fennell, you should also give something to Carey.

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Maybe a better comparison would be Birdman with Inarritu and Michael Keaton. I’ve always found it weird that Birdman won four Oscars including Picture and Keaton didn’t come along with it. Like, I know that Eddie Redmayne gives a baitty performance, but I just can’t help but think that Keaton is a huge part of why that film works so well, and he had to share the spotlight with Inarritu. So if you’re gonna give Inarritu three Oscars for the film (one of them was as a producer, but still) why not give Keaton one as well? I know PYW didn’t win Picture, obviously, but if you’re gonna give something to Fennell, you should also give something to Carey.

Actually, I don’t think Birdman was equal to Keaton at all. It’s the film’s strength that helped him to get noticed for the first time, not the other way around. Redmayne on the other hand had single handily carried his film and co-star to success. It was his trans-formative performance that made The Theory of Everything a bigger contender.

But back to the Mulligan topic. I do think that the nature of the role also made it hard for her to win. I can imagine a lot of narcissistic and misogynistic men feeling weird about the character. Not to mention the actual BAFTA snub, that I think she would have won. Maybe it was all about that BAFTA award. McDormand won that last minute before the Oscars, and I could only imagine that it would have been enough for Carey as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So Carey got unlucky for having to fight with the strongest and most popular film’s leading lady and two other women (Day & Davis) who won more important & buzzed awards than her. I think it was extremely close (I’d say Carey was second, Viola was third, and Andra was fourth, but the voting was really close).

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again (I know others will disagree with me on this) but I do think Mulligan would have won the BAFTA under the old BAFTA voting system. That British Film win for Promising Young Woman was significant.

But even if that happened I still think McDormand would have won. She partly benefitted from similar reasons as to why Colman won over Close or Hopkins won over Boseman or even why Youn won her category in the end. In a wide open race the performer with the bigger contender wins due to having the most visibility. Mulligan was probably second, Davis a close third and then Day and Kirby were in 4th and 5th due to the former suffering from visibility issues and the latter being the sole rep for her film.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Toni Collette- Hereditary>>>Olivia Colman- The Favourite

She was but Olivia Colman still gives one of the best nominated and winning performances ever.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

As popular as Promising Young Woman was, Nomadland was simply more popular with multiple wins including the two biggest prizes of the evening. Fennell’s only competition was already Oscar-winner Aaron Sorkin, for a film that has pretty much lost all its buzz by the time of the ceremony and under-performed all together with the nominations (no Director mention, only one acting nomination etc.).

I actually think Davis and Kirby came in last. No way was the former winning without Chad and the latter didn’t have a prayer despite the perf. Day, McDormand, and Mulligan were all extremely close imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually think Davis and Kirby came in last. No way was the former winning without Chad and the latter didn’t have a prayer despite the perf. Day, McDormand, and Mulligan were all extremely close imo.

Davis was easily ahead of Day imo on the basis that more people actually saw her film and Ma Rainey actually had won two Oscars. Billie Holiday couldn’t even get in below the line crafts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

Frances deserved to win because she gave the best performance in the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Day would’ve been such a terrible winner, i’m glad no fucks frances came through and showed her what acting is

She wasn’t even close anyway. Both Mulligan and Davis were ahead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Only saw the title of this thread and “oh damm, part 51 and it’s not even July? Gaga’s impact”

Until I went into it saw it was last year’s still discussed 💀

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I can’t believe you guys are still discussing last year’s Best Actress race 🤦🤦

Move on Carey fans. She’ll be back soon with Maestro and She Said.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Move on Carey fans.

Carey fans aren’t the only ones discussing this race lol.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.