Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 205 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 hours ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel615
Milk Money
  • Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Even though I find her overrated, I think McDormand played against type in Three Billboards

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

Not Frances quoting MacBeth in her speech, knowing she would be win competitive for The Tragedy of MacBeth

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I mean the last time an actress won for playing against type it was Theron in Monster.

And look how much it payed off.. one of the best wins EVER.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Those definitely seem like nom worthy roles, but dont seem as juicy.

There’s already controversy about Mulligan’s casting in “Maestro,” so coupled with playing supporting wife to Bernstein doesn’t sound immediately appealing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I feel bad for Mulligan Viola probably will get Oscar number 2 in lead before this decade is up lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Viola will prob get a supp actress nom for that sandra bullock movie. And then a lead nom for the woman king

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Someone said lupita dropped out of the women king is that true?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

9.85 million viewers, worst Oscar ratings in history. Frances third win will forever be in forgotten waste land.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Carey’s only chance of winning is most likely in a supporting wife type of role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Lessons:

1) BAFTA is bigger than we all thought. The Colman Effect comes through.

2) Globes really flopped. They’re just ain’t it. After all I’ve read, they need to go.

3) Critics DO matter, at least in this category. Not CC necessarily lol

4) I find really interesting the reaction to what I mentioned before: They really denied 2 black actresses a historical second win in this category to give a white woman her third (and fourth) after a recent win. After all the supposed outcry, accusations and insults, shouldn’t there be more analysis of the issue or would have this happened only if Mulligan or Kirby had won? I don’t find a lot of consistency in the way some of you deal with the topic. The whole decade has been a mess in this regard and the energy with the topic here is just weird (only a handful seem to understand that the system is fucked up and that EVERY year are worthy WOC in contention).

5) The BP nomination does matter A LOT unless you’re playing an undeniable narrative.

6) People complaning about ‘stans’ when they basically do the same for less popular choices need to grow up. Is it because they feel lonely? Also, the lame accounts to trash women are a reflection of misogyny. It’s sad that even beyond the movie, Cassandra kept showing the putrid state of hate towards women.

7) Carey was never going to win (not BAFTA either). It was a great goal, but we’re not there yet. Too many buttons were being pushed. She had a nice trajectory and deserves all the roles coming her way.

8) I like Frances as a person, but won’t be fake and say she was the best or would even be the most memorable winner. Won’t drag her though with the nonsensical ”playing herself” bit. Funny how life is when one would think Blanchett, Cotillard or even Theron would get there before. I just need AMPAS to step up with the type of roles it rewards; it makes the audience lose interest.

9) The stans wars are useless. They always end up with someone else winning.

10) Let’s not underestimate newcomers ever again.

11) Campaigning is such a tricky process. It really didn’t translate successfully for the 4 women who worked their souls off.

12) Glenn Close is a godesss.

That said: This really was a prophecy

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mi_gi_1988
    Topics:

It was a long Awards Season and we all enjoyed. That’s it.

See u on the next!

Best wishes to all

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Joe Burns
    Topics:

I think Mulligan could have won BAFTA if the BAFTAs had decided their acting nominations in the same way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Lessons: 1) BAFTA is bigger than we all thought. The Colman Effect comes through. 2) Globes really flopped. They’re just ain’t it. After all I’ve read, they need to go. 3) Critics DO matter, at least in this category. Not CC necessarily lol 4) I find really interesting the reaction to what I mentioned before: They really denied 2 black actresses a historical second win in this category to give a white woman her third (and fourth) after a recent win. After all the supposed outcry, accusations and insults, shouldn’t there be more analysis of the issue or would have this happened only if Mulligan or Kirby had won? I don’t find a lot of consistency in the way some of you deal with the topic. The whole decade has been a mess in this regard and the energy with the topic here is just weird (only a handful seem to understand that the system is fucked up and that EVERY year are worthy WOC in contention). 5) The BP nomination does matter A LOT unless you’re playing an undeniable narrative. 6) People complaning about ‘stans’ when they basically do the same for less popular choices need to grow up. Is it because they feel lonely? Also, the lame accounts to trash women are a reflection of misogyny. It’s sad that even beyond the movie, Cassandra kept showing the putrid state of hate towards women. 7) Carey was never going to win (not BAFTA either). It was a great goal, but we’re not there yet. Too many buttons were being pushed. She had a nice trajectory and deserves all the roles coming her way. 8) I like Frances as a person, but won’t be fake and say she was the best or would even be the most memorable winner. Won’t drag her though with the nonsensical ”playing herself” bit. Funny how life is when one would think Blanchett, Cotillard or even Theron would get there before. I just need AMPAS to step up with the type of roles it rewards; it makes the audience lose interest. 9) The stans wars are useless. They always end up with someone else winning. 10) Let’s not underestimate newcomers ever again. 11) Campaigning is such a tricky process. It really didn’t translate successfully for the 4 women who worked their souls off. 12) Glenn Close is a godesss. That said: This really was a prophecy

Before now, BAFTA + Globe combo was the best for best actress when no one is sweeping. BAFTA became so strong this year and we underestimated them. We even dismissing them as some of us were saying they don’t matter this year.

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Viola will prob get a supp actress nom for that sandra bullock movie. And then a lead nom for the woman king

You guys have started again. Lol

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

I’m so happy that Trashiola Davis didn’t win. I already had a feeling Ma Sucky would underperform, this was gold. Francis is an odd 3 time winner, but her and Mulligan were my top picks.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 205 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.